You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - gollum?

Guest San Don

Sorry got it the wrong way around. You borrow the shares, sell them to someone else and then agree to give them back in the future. Other stuff about gambling on the price going down still applies though

Is this about the Glazer's business model?  Has similarities to a layman like me.

Other than the agreeing to give anything back in the future, obviously.

Is this about the Glazer's business model?  Has similarities to a layman like me.

Other than the agreeing to give anything back in the future, obviously.

No, it's a news report saying that investors are shorting on Utd shares, which is bad news for Glazers as it's likely to drive down the value of the club. Not that they are likely to care in the short term.

The Glazers are paying massive amounts back for the business model they've chosen, close to half a billion so far. Except it's the clubs money really

No, it's a news report saying that investors are shorting on Utd shares, which is bad news for Glazers as it's likely to drive down the value of the club. Not that they are likely to care in the short term.

The Glazers are paying massive amounts back for the business model they've chosen, close to half a billion so far. Except it's the clubs money really

I know mate on the latter bit, I meant they'd not be giving anything back to United like.

If someone is shorting your companies shares then it's bad news. It shows that your stock is being manipulated by traders. Not a good place to be at all. Lehman brothers stock was being shorted just before the credit crunch and when they had to declare bankruptcy.

If someone is shorting your companies shares then it's bad news. It shows that your stock is being manipulated by traders. Not a good place to be at all. Lehman brothers stock was being shorted just before the credit crunch and when they had to declare bankruptcy.

Mate, I've only just got my laptop clean again after seeing that picture of Helen Flanagan's tits, don't mention that word in relation to United lightly!

• Upvote 2

A few big short positions were taken out in Jan, one by the "red knight" who tried to buy utd a while back...

The reality is fund (the majority of shares in anything of substance)  traders do not dabble in this shit. 

If there is a general acknowledgement, especially in the media, that shares are either being shorted or even that significant put options are being taken - the ship has a leak. 

The market corrects itself pretty quickly.

One of the major issues is that these bets are public. Therefore if large numbers of respected gamblers (futures brokers) are "selling short" (ie predicting that the share price will fall) then the price goes down, regardless of actual value or company performance. Companies can go bankrupt based on these bets and not on anything else, such as whether they are healthy or not.

So in this case (MUFC shares) that sounds like a good thing...

So in this case (MUFC shares) that sounds like a good thing...

I cant remember the exact number but I think its only 10 % of the clubs equity is in circulation on the NYSE. Some Hedge fund has shorted $5 m of shares betting that they will fall in value and they can buy them back at less than they sold them . In itself this doesn't affect the club at all but I believe the Glazers are/were planning to float a much bigger chunk of the equity to reduce the clubs gearing and no doubt trouser another large wedge themselves.

Thanks to Daves heroics on the league front the share price is under pressure and speculators targeting their shares will hardly be welcomed by the owners.I read somewhere George Soros has a big chunk and if he sees long term value in holdng them he isn't going to be spooked into bailing out so don't go popping any corks just yet

Fucking hell what a load of shite.

"A couple of years to get to grips with the job", "get his arms around it". What planet is this guy on ? Managing the league champions, a multi million pound business , millions in the transfer budget, sponsorship deals riding on this seasons performance. Its not big cuddly Bills lifestyle businsess as it was 10 years ago where it didn't matter if they finished 4th or 14th and they only had 2 bob to spend on players anyway.

Moyse is so self evidently completely and utterly out of his depth yet this bloke , a fucking psychologist, fails to notice. 

• Upvote 1

David Moyes expects the Manchester United board to consider handing Robin van Persie a new contract after the striker claimed he wanted to stay at the club.

Van Persie has been linked with a move away from United following rumours that he was unhappy with life under Moyes, but he rebutted that speculation on Thursday night, insisting he was content at Old Trafford and saying he would like to extend his current deal beyond 2016.

Moyes said: "It's nice of Robin. He is happy here and we are very pleased about that.

"He has a couple of years to go on his contract and I am sure that is something the board will look at."

Jesus, word has got around the older and useless players at Utd that Moyes will hand out pay rises to anyone that doesn't call him a useless cunt. Looking forward to seeing their entire budget being leeched out of the club with no improvement

• Upvote 2

Some nice comments from Bren, pretending to be supporting Moyes but really ruining him if you read carefully:

"I have empathy for the pressures which come with taking over such a huge club.

"It is incomparable the states of the two clubs because they were champions, there are serial winners in there, and when I came to this club they were eighth. The rebuilding and remodelling of the two clubs was totally different.

"David will be fine there and he will get it right. It has been a steep learning curve for him this year, he will have gone in there and seen things you only have a certain length of time to address. But I am sure he will have learned a lot this season and will kick on."