You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - gollum?

Guest San Don

There's nothing interesting or of any note in Manchester. There's a few decent places to eat and the odd decent pub in the city centre but that's about it. Used to be good for shopping before Liverpool's retail expanded. Cheeky bastards as well when they go on about scousers being robbing bastards when they have a ridiculously high burglary and car theft rate.

My mate is from Glasgow originally and he lives in Didsbury and can't stand Manchester. He's a big lefty and I took him around Liverpool recently and he was like a pig in shit, loved News from Nowhere and Fact. There's nowhere like the Anglican Cathedral in Manchester, nowhere. I'm not someone who thinks Liverpool is the centre of the universe,I've slagged it off a few times in the past, but when you look at it lit up from New Brighton there's nowhere like it, certainly in this country, and the way Liverpool One opens up onto the docks now is awesome, there's few places I'd rather be on a Summer Saturday afternoon than down near the river.

With the reemergence of the city as a cruise ship destination it feels like things have come full circle, with the ships coming there and Manchester once again being passed over.

The fates of the cities and clubs have echoed each other. They've always been afronted by the city and the club's popularity and they've fallen into the trap New Money always falls in to of trying to do everything bigger and brasher but with genuine class nowhere to be seen, like a rich Russian in London walking around on a 30c summer's day in a mink coat.

When you peel it away though, they've got no legacy, tourists remember Merseybeat but nobody gives a fuck about Madchester, LFC's songs are sung all over the world, nobody gives a fuck about united and they won't be missed. They've cast envious eyes down the 62 and tried to copy it but can't capture its essence, and that's what they hate, and that's why they hate.

• Upvote 8

I agree Mark. I've been out in Manchester a few times and had some nice meals and been drinking in a few places but that can be done in most places of any note in the country.

If you did a city break in Manchester what exactly would you do for 3 days?. Also at least if you got bored of the city in Liverpool you could go to the beach on a sunny day to Crosby, Formby or somewhere on the Wirral.

Know a few Scum supporting twats from Dublin who stay in Liverpool & get taxi's up to watch the scum on match day because "Manchester is shit & the people are twats". Yet they love Scousers & Liverpool as a city. Been arguing for years with them about how stupid this makes them yet they just can't see it.

"As Moyes stood on the touchline, waving his arms like a blind man directing traffic, he resembled a parent chiding an unruly teenager for playing the music too loud upstairs.  And the response from those on the pitch was akin to the adolescent shrugging his shoulders and turning the volume up to full blast before the door had even been closed."

Ogden in The Telegraph.  Yuk yuk yuk.

"As Moyes stood on the touchline, waving his arms like a blind man directing traffic, he resembled a parent chiding an unruly teenager for playing the music too loud upstairs.  And the response from those on the pitch was akin to the adolescent shrugging his shoulders and turning the volume up to full blast before the door had even been closed."

That's got to be one of the most cutting pieces of copy I have ever read in a newspaper.

Did Section ghost write it?

"As Moyes stood on the touchline, waving his arms like a blind man directing traffic, he resembled a parent chiding an unruly teenager for playing the music too loud upstairs. And the response from those on the pitch was akin to the adolescent shrugging his shoulders and turning the volume up to full blast before the door had even been closed."

Ogden in The Telegraph. Yuk yuk yuk.

haha, brilliant!

the mancs are horrible cunts. The more they sink the more vicious they'll get, like the bitters did for so long. Was amused to see Manchester itself had dropped out of the top 10 places to visit in the UK with Liverpool now at second, one tourism mogul on North West tonight actually said Manchester should advertise itself abroad as 'being close to Liverpool', which I thought was fucking hilarious.

Fucking shit, London-light wannabe city which basically consists of three traffic jams and an indoor ski slope, slate grey Soviet -era one bedroom flats populated by BBC interns from Lemington Spa drinking seven quid pints and Salford born scruffs decked out in Lonsdale t-shirt. Council houses indeed.

Second place is where they belong. Get back to hell you twats.

t1000-death-sequence-o.gif

Section is the best poster I've ever read on here. I've always lurked more than posted but he always sparks my interest.

Got to be honest I've always had a great time in Manchester and I've met some great manc lads down the years. Go round there givin it the big uber Scouse act you'll come unstuck and rightly so.

Let's have it right though Town is full of beauts as are most big cities but them cunts have serious delusions of grandeur.

The pendulum is swinging right back socially, economically and on the park.

No skyline, no heritage, no team in red playing champions league next year!!!

Oipolloi is boss and they have well better record shops

Guest davelfc

The last time Manchester United failed to qualify for the Champions League, you actually had to be the champions of your domestic competition to enter the draw.

In 1995, Blackburn Rovers won the Premier League title and were thus England’s representatives in Europe’s biggest club competition for the following campaign; Fergie’s United qualified for the group stages of the next 18 tournaments.

It was a remarkable record, aided by the expansion of UEFA’s tournaments and a softening of the qualifying criteria, but nonetheless testament to the powerhouse Mr Alex Ferguson had created at Old Trafford.

[Defeat at Everton ends Manchester United’s Champions League hopes]

In one fell swoop, David Moyes has eradicated that. With the same squad that won the league at a canter last season, United are now officially unable to qualify for the Champions League.

A 2-0 defeat at Everton – who Roberto Martinez has managed to improve since Moyes’ tenure – made it mathematically impossible for United to finish fourth, and poured further scorn on the beleaguered Scot’s pre-match claims that they could still do it.

The arguments have been well worn: United were patient with Fergie, but Fergie had taken over a struggling team that required a total refit; Moyes took over the champions, a dominant force at home and in Europe, ripped out their soul and morphed them into a turbo Aston Villa.

Moyes is 50 years old. He is also rather stubborn, as successful managers often are (it’s easy to forget, but he was a success at Everton, and at Preston before that). He won’t change – he just has to hope football changes or, more realistically, he can spend a good £200 million on superstars this summer, superstars who would win matches even if they trotted out playing 3-5-2 long ball.

Would you trust Moyes with that money? His continued chase of unrealistic targets does not bode well. For starters, all that happens when you spend (another) summer chasing Toni Kroos and Cesc Fabregas is that you don’t end up buying them, panic, and pay over the odds for an Everton player.

He has also managed to alienate most of the first-team squad - pretty much everyone bar Juan Mata has been linked with a transfer or retirement in recent weeks.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

The quote is attributed to Albert Einstein, although there is no evidence that the great scientist ever said that. It is a useful mantra though, and one other managers – such as Arsene Wenger – would do well to heed.

United’s supporters should heed that advice too.

They pride themselves on loyalty, a loyalty which has bizarrely seen many turn against the man who brought them unprecedented success, as if somehow his presence in the stands proves a far-reaching conspiracy to protect his legacy at the expense of the club’s future.

Get real. United are failing because the men who run the club are not football men; they are failing because the man coaching the team is not a Manchester United coach. The Glazers are good business people, but they need guidance in football matters. They are not getting it, other than from a pair of OAPs whose time in football is up.

United are failing because the one group of people who can actually effect change at the club are backing the wrong horse.

When BSkyB attempted to take over England’s and arguably the world’s biggest club at the time, fans got together, formed action groups and blocked the purchase. They were right to do so, knowing that the motives of such corporations are not always ‘clean’, and that it would result in a monopoly that could ultimately have killed English football.

They need to show that unity and resolve again – because Moyes is not the man to take the club forward. He never has been, and to tell yourself anything else is simple delusion

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-hairdryer/united-fans-must-stop-blaming-fergie-start-looking-170525475.html

Oh shit, they've rumbled him. 

The mistake Moyseh has made is he's a couple of years ahead of schedule - this level of destruction is just too obvious. Hopefully he can win a game or two before the season ends and earn his reprieve. If he doesn't survive I'd like to take the opportunity to thank him for a fantastic and joyful season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Gollum looks outmoded at 50, his predecessor didn't in his 70's.

He's become yesterday's man without today ever having arrived in the first place.

Tomorrow never comes for the likes of Wee Davey, and I hope with ever fibre in my being United carelessly gamble another season - at least - on the false promises he continues to whisper in their ear.

The MYSTIC Moyseh is a couple of years ahead of schedule - this level of destruction is just too obvious. Hopefully he can win a game or two before the season ends and earn his reprieve. If he doesn't survive I'd like to take the opportunity to thank him for a fantastic and joyful season.

fixed it for you