You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - gollum?

Guest San Don

I have never felt so confident in all my years supporting Liverpool of us getting a result at there place. There is no doubt they will be up for the game but so will we. They wont no whats hit them,and I suspect with there moral at rock bottom the thought of Suarez and Sturridge and young Sterling going at them in full flow is scaring the shit out of them.

In truth, I think our over confidence may come back to bite us on the ass and personally not too confident. For years, one of our proudest results would be too derail their title chances, it now seems in 9 months we have a total role reversal. (9 months!)

However I imagine your last sentence scares the crap out of every team in the country and we should not fear anyone.

Moyes writes: "While I knew that this job would be a challenge when I took it on, the difficult season we have experienced was not something that I envisaged, which I am sure is the case as well for you supporters – and my players, staff and I are desperate to compensate for that.

"You are accustomed to seeing a successful Manchester United and the backing you have given the players and me throughout the season has been incredible. Away from home the travelling fans have remained the best in the country while at Old Trafford your unwavering faith has been noticeable and hugely welcomed. Supporting your team when they are winning is easy but much harder when things are not going as well, and the loyalty you have shown us has been magnificent."

Moyes goes on to state his certainty that "everything we have been through will make us a better, stronger team and club in the future. Over the years you have seen great winning sides here and, in time, I have absolutely no doubt that we will see great winning sides here again."

What faith? 99% of them want him gone, here's this unwavering faith for you and this is but a few examples coupled together in about 2 minutes over on Redcafe.

"He's such a tedious boring man. The same cliched nonsense recycled every week. Show him the door please." 

"Just sack him now.. and let the new guy lead until the end of season.. I dont want to support this guy anymore."

"Awful, absolutely awful. Moyes is an absolute cretin."

"Moyes has actually become a worse manager since taking over United. This is the worst display I've ever seen I think."

"The only letter I want him writing is a resignation one."

Great support that Davie...

What faith? 99% of them want him gone, here's this unwavering faith for you and this is but a few examples coupled together in about 2 minutes over on Redcafe.

"He's such a tedious boring man. The same cliched nonsense recycled every week. Show him the door please."

"Just sack him now.. and let the new guy lead until the end of season.. I dont want to support this guy anymore."

"Awful, absolutely awful. Moyes is an absolute cretin."

"Moyes has actually become a worse manager since taking over United. This is the worst display I've ever seen I think."

"The only letter I want him writing is a resignation one."

Great support that Davie...

Ssh, someone at OT who knows what they are doing might be reading.

"Olympiakos, sadly. The pre-match interview when he said we'd try and keep compact and nick a goal, followed by the performance was the straw that has broken this camel's back."

Nothing in his 11 years at Everton could have prepared for that one, eh.

We need to do to Utd what we have done to Everton

Repeat after me

" it's Kopite behaviour to sack an unsuccessful manager"

"It's Kopite behaviour to complain about not winning trophies"

"It's Kopite behaviour to whinge about owners destroying our club"

• Upvote 1

We need to do to Utd what we have done to Everton

Repeat after me

" it's Kopite behaviour to sack an unsuccessful manager"

"It's Kopite behaviour to complain about not winning trophies"

"It's Kopite behaviour to whinge about owners destroying our club"

United, aren't weh?

Been thinking about this article .

I just don't buy into this interpretation of the events at all. Ferguson is no fool and he will understand full well that its a different world from when he took on the job. There wasn't the same pressures and Utd were not champions with all the expectations that brings.

Moyes is toast and he will know that unless some remarkable turnaround happens starting now. If they lose to us and crash out of the CL that surely would be it imo,

What Ferguson is doing here is carving himself out a defensive position for when Moyes gets kicked to the kerb. " I got time to get things right , Dave would have done the same had he had been given the same opportunity". Nothing wrong with his choice of successor just he wasn't allowed the time to do his job . I'm certain that will be his message,

So much for Moyes being safe for now, Slur has already taken the lifeboat and is rowing for shore.  

David Moyes kept in Manchester United job by the absolute influence behind the scenes of Sir Alex Ferguson
At any other club manager would have been sacked by now, but his predecessor at Old Trafford is proving to be his most important friend of all

By Jim White8:31PM GMT 05 Mar 2014 33 Comments
Sir Alex Ferguson was enjoying himself at the Oscars ceremony.
Grinning widely, eyes sparkling, he was evidently appreciating being in the company of winners for a change. Inevitably, as he was spotted in the crowd heading into the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, he was asked by a British journalist on the fringes of the red carpet about David Moyes.
Which must have confused any American showbiz reporters eavesdropping on the conversation. What award was this Moyes up for? (Here’s a clue: it would not have been Best Director).
Ferguson was quick to say that Moyes will come good. What he needs is time, Ferguson added. As long as he is granted that he will be “OK”, which in the great manager’s vocabulary means more than just adequate. With that, he smiled and disappeared in search of a waiter holding a tray of champagne glasses.
For Moyes it was the most significant statement of the week. The international break can be a testing time for a Premier League manager in crisis.

That is when his players are cast to the winds, out in the wider world where they can make all kinds of dark mutterings about their boss’s competence away from any control (which they can then deny when they get back to the day job).
You can bet that in the dressing rooms of Holland, Japan and England the questions will have been asked of the Manchester United players: what has gone wrong? What has changed? Is the guy up to the job? The same questions that will come from journalists reporting on the games, the answers to which can quickly be made into suggestions of dressing-room revolt.
But now it does not really matter if Shinji Kagawa does make cryptic comment about not knowing what he has to do to get a game. Robin van Persie can talk all he likes about his colleagues getting in his space, it is not going to make any material difference.

Indeed all of those United Kremlinologists scanning for signs about the manager’s future have now been given the biggest hint about what will happen next.
The fall in the share price, the gathering storm of protest about ticket prices for any matches in the Europa League in the new season, the curious manner in which Ryan Giggs has studiously avoided being photographed next to his new manager, none of these things will have any bearing on Moyes’s employment prospects: now we know, in the short term at least, he is going nowhere.
This is the irony about Moyes’s tenure at Old Trafford. Many observers felt that Ferguson’s presence at United would be the biggest obstacle to his chances of success. Yet far from being a problem for him, Ferguson’s continuing involvement at United is turning out to be his biggest defence.

Because, rest assured, were he employed by any other club in the country he would have been gone by now.
At Chelsea it is a matter of certainty. At Fulham there would have been three other managers since he went. Even at Liverpool, Roy Hodgson did not last as long as Moyes has, and he did not preside over anything like as prodigious a decline.
It felt after the limp, insipid defeat by Olympiakos – a game in which United’s performance redefined the term lacklustre – like a turning point in Moyes’s stay at United. Among the match-going fans, who had loyally chanted the new manager’s name through the downs and downs of the season, there was a sudden and noticeable cooling.
The fanzine United We Stand polled its readers and discovered that there was a marked decline in tolerance after the defeat in Greece. At the end of January, just 22 per cent of those polled thought the manager should be dismissed; by the end of February that percentage had swollen to 55.98 per cent.

With little positive to show for his tenure, as the mood among even the most steadfast supporters changed, Moyes might have looked friendless. Except he has the most important friend of all: the man who recommended he be appointed, the man whose influence behind the scenes at the club is absolute.
There is one thing about Ferguson: he could never be mistaken for a man in a hurry to admit mistakes. Eric Djemba Djemba, Sebastián Verón, Kleberson, all were quietly let go rather than speedily put out of their own – and everyone else’s – misery.
Ferguson has never forgotten how the board at United stuck by him in his own dark days in the autumn of 1989. Now he is in a position to influence decision making, he wants his successor to enjoy the same benefit. “Give him time,” he told the reporter outside the Dolby. “That’s what I was given.”
Time, though, has condensed since he was in trouble as a manager. There is no way a business as highly geared to success as United could again wait three years for a turnaround in fortune.

But Ferguson’s endorsement suggests Moyes is safe for now. He will surely now be in place until the summer, when he will be handed the financial resources to mould the squad to his requirements.
However, if by September there is no evidence that his way is producing results, not even the most influential of supporters will save him. By then, in the accelerated continuum of the modern Premier League, time will have run out.

I love the fact he's called the letter "A word from the boss" the pretentious cunt.

He's fucked as he can't play his usual trick of blaming everything on having no spends, small-club fighting against-the-odds bollocks our daft Blue brethren swallowed.  I really can't stand the goggled-eyed, horrible cunt and hope we absolutely batter them,.

• Upvote 1

I have never felt so confident in all my years supporting Liverpool of us getting a result at there place. There is no doubt they will be up for the game but so will we. They wont no whats hit them,and I suspect with there moral at rock bottom the thought of Suarez and Sturridge and young Sterling going at them in full flow is scaring the shit out of them.

I reckon we will win too,  but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. This is football where anything can happen, and in games like this form doesn't always count, if we lose then were left red faced, if we go up 4-0 at half time, then by all means let the banners fly and rub the salt in the wounds of the scum!

"I'm not a fan of knee jerk reactions and am all for giving promising managers more time, but I never saw anything resembling progress in the way United approached different games. I couldn't even see any new ideas being implanted after bad results. It was just the same dull stuff every time I watched. Whatever the perceived strenght of a team or their tactical outlook was, Moyes just seemed to take the same half baked formula out of the freezer to microwave it briefly. When it turns out that it still tastes like arse, he blames the microwave, the freezer, the spoon but never changes the damned recipe."

Soothsayer stuff from Red Cafe there.

• Upvote 1

Mark Ogden @MOgdenTelegraph 7m

Strange move by David Moyes to have dig at media for reporting Tom Cleverley petition. Difference between reporting and condoning...

Mark Ogden @MOgdenTelegraph 5m

Everybody I have read has ridiculed the petition, so would have thought that was a positive reaction to it, rather than promoting it.

They must be itching to plunge the knife in if this next run of 5 games goes badly.

From the Red butty van.

FineYoungCasual said:
Nah, in that scenario I can imagine hearing that he needs time to rebuild the entire stadium, brick by brick, before he can be properly judged.

If that doesn't work, 'sensible pundits' will insist that Moyes must be given the funds to atomically dematerialise the entire squad and then rebuild them molecule by molecule to his own specifications.

If this still doesn't provide Moyes with the exact right circumstances for his highly complex footballing vision to come to fruition, I can see Fergie assembling a doomsday device - 'sensible pundits' will frantically assure us that the world simply hasn't been pulling it's weight and that a 'massive, global clear-out' is needed in order for Moyes to have a fair go at it. 'True fans' like Drummer and Pogue will righteously agree that though they love their families, and have enjoyed life on Earth, this is simply the only realistic way forward at this point.

Moyes will be bundled into an underground bunker for his own protection, and all other life on the planet will be eradicated.

Moyes will emerge from his bunker, just as Fergie has instructed, with a football, two sets of goal posts and a homemade banner that reads "Barclay's Premier League" on it. He will mount the banner and the goal posts in the hard, dry, dead Earth and proceed to play a single match, against no-one, for the title of 'Premier League Champion of the Universe' - first goal wins.

He stoically plods up field, ball at his feet. Fast, nervous breaths as he approaches the empty opposition goal. He aims a lofted ball into the open net but just as the ball is about to cross the line, a rogue gust of post-apocalypse wind picks the ball up and blows it in the opposite direction...

Straight down the makeshift pitch it blows and straight into Moyes' own net.

Game over.

Moyes sighs and stumbles off into the empty, desolate wasteland - muttering to himself about how 'all he can do is try and win the next one'.
  • Upvote 3

From the Red butty van.

FineYoungCasual said:
Nah, in that scenario I can imagine hearing that he needs time to rebuild the entire stadium, brick by brick, before he can be properly judged.

If that doesn't work, 'sensible pundits' will insist that Moyes must be given the funds to atomically dematerialise the entire squad and then rebuild them molecule by molecule to his own specifications.

If this still doesn't provide Moyes with the exact right circumstances for his highly complex footballing vision to come to fruition, I can see Fergie assembling a doomsday device - 'sensible pundits' will frantically assure us that the world simply hasn't been pulling it's weight and that a 'massive, global clear-out' is needed in order for Moyes to have a fair go at it. 'True fans' like Drummer and Pogue will righteously agree that though they love their families, and have enjoyed life on Earth, this is simply the only realistic way forward at this point.

Moyes will be bundled into an underground bunker for his own protection, and all other life on the planet will be eradicated.

Moyes will emerge from his bunker, just as Fergie has instructed, with a football, two sets of goal posts and a homemade banner that reads "Barclay's Premier League" on it. He will mount the banner and the goal posts in the hard, dry, dead Earth and proceed to play a single match, against no-one, for the title of 'Premier League Champion of the Universe' - first goal wins.

He stoically plods up field, ball at his feet. Fast, nervous breaths as he approaches the empty opposition goal. He aims a lofted ball into the open net but just as the ball is about to cross the line, a rogue gust of post-apocalypse wind picks the ball up and blows it in the opposite direction...

Straight down the makeshift pitch it blows and straight into Moyes' own net.

Game over.

Moyes sighs and stumbles off into the empty, desolate wasteland - muttering to himself about how 'all he can do is try and win the next one'.

Fine Young Casual got the memo I see.