You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - gollum?

Guest San Don

Im not sure how many top managers would take the job knowing that ferguson was still around the club.

Also that axis of Neville, Neville and Giggs as part of his backroom staff, you can tell they're backstabbers and all fancy a crack at it and will not hesitate to undermine him if it means saving their own skin.

That said, if they gave Moyes 'time', and I mean 3-4 years, then he could probably mould a team that would be resilient and have some quality in it.  But he ain't going to get 3-4 years at this rate.

But he won't get sacked this season, it was Fergusons appointment, it would be a massive embarrassment if his choice was out on his arse within months.  Not going to happen.

thats the amount of games Ferguson have lost each season since the Premier League went down to 20 teams, the years in red are when they've won the league and the lowest position in any of those seasons is 3rd, they have lost 3 already this season

David Moyes is a football genius

Im not sure how many top managers would take the job knowing that ferguson was still around the club.

Also that axis of Neville, Neville and Giggs as part of his backroom staff, you can tell they're backstabbers and all fancy a crack at it and will not hesitate to undermine him if it means saving their own skin.

That said, if they gave Moyes 'time', and I mean 3-4 years, then he could probably mould a team that would be resilient and have some quality in it.  But he ain't going to get 3-4 years at this rate.

But he won't get sacked this season, it was Fergusons appointment, it would be a massive embarrassment if his choice was out on his arse within months.  Not going to happen.

I'm not so sure.  I believe that Ferguson pushed for Moyes because he was sure that even if they didnt retain the title in his first season he at least would steady the ship and keep them in the top 4.  If they're still not challenging in a couple of months then they may well sack him.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/richard-sadlier-moyes-letting-the-truth-get-in-the-way-of-motivation-29618547.html

Richard Sadlier: Moyes letting the truth get in the way of motivation

United's manager has to convince the players that he is the right man for the job, says Richard Sadlier

PANews_N0006271380390868450A_I1.jpg

David Moyes saw Manchester United slip to their second successive Premier League defeat

Richard Sadlier – 29 September 2013

Football is an unfair business. People complain about the scrutiny of the media and the pressure to succeed, but within the dressing room judgments are swifter and more ruthless.
How could the manager of the reigning champions suggest his squad was two players short of a serious title challenge? How could a Manchester United manager speak so frankly about disappointing days that may lie ahead? I wouldn't disagree with David Moyes' assessment of his Manchester United squad, especially after yesterday's defeat, but if his players see things differently, he could be in trouble.

It's not irrelevant to compare Moyes with his predecessor because it's exactly what will be happening among the players. They knew what was expected of them under Alex Ferguson. Their job was to satisfy his extraordinary hunger for success and that was it. There were no excuses made in advance of failures and every public comment he made had them in mind. He grasped the impact of everything he said and the dressing room was always his target audience. In that regard, his approach to management was the exact opposite to that of Paolo Di Canio.

If Ferguson's legacy is that of the greatest manager of the modern era, Di Canio's will be precisely the opposite. In perhaps the most spectacular example of how not to be a Premier League manager, Di Canio achieved the extraordinary feat of alienating himself from almost everyone at the club from the start of his reign and never recovered.

Not once did he look like he grasped the value of building relationships with anyone around him and paid the price last week when he was sacked. Once details emerged of how he went about the job, you'd almost wonder how he lasted as long as 175 days.

He delayed Steven Fletcher's return to full training by a week because he believed he wasn't mentally ready. This was on the back of seeing Fletcher share a joke with the first team squad as they ran past where he was working. He undermined the medical staff by giving decision-making powers to a clinic in Rome. And the stadium staff were warned not to interact with players on the day of a game. Disciplinary measures would be taken against anyone caught shaking players' hands or wishing them well prior to kick-off because he believed this would affect their focus.

On one occasion when a player on the fringes of the first-team squad entered the gym to join the players for exercises, he was told to go to the adjoining gym area, look through the window and copy what they were doing from there. I assume the intention was to make him aspire even more to be part of the squad, but it only lowered his opinion of Di Canio and his methods. And it drew the same response from all the other players.

But his public criticisms of the players were tame in comparison to what he was saying to their faces in private. A strategy of almost constant confrontation was adopted with the most predictable of outcomes. As a direct result of his management style, six of the 14 players brought to the club during the summer are said to have asked to be sent out on loan. "You never wanted to let him down," was Roy Keane's line on Ferguson when he retired, but it seems Di Canio inspired an entirely different reaction.

The United players' response to Moyes will be the determining factor in his longevity. He is very different to Di Canio with a record he can point to but not one he can point to very often in a dressing room full of title winners.  Early indications support most pre-season predictions about Manchester United. They are unlikely to finish in the top two and are by no means guaranteed a place in the top four.

Ferguson's departure ensured a lowering of expectations but the appointment of Moyes has reduced them further. Ferguson had an unwavering belief in the ability of his players to win matches and that conviction followed them out onto the field. Measured remarks can't really compare.

Moyes' comments about the strengths and weaknesses of the squad might have had a basis in reality but he has other things to do before he can live in the real world. Primarily he must demonstrate to the United squad that he is the right man to be their manager and that requires a subtle negotiation as he tries to change all that he wants to change while talking about the legacy of Alex Ferguson.

"But he's won nothing," Mourinho is supposed to have said when Moyes was appointed manager. A new book in Spain makes this claim and also says that Chelsea's manager cried when he heard he wasn't succeeding Ferguson. Moyes has to win over a powerful dressing room and he also knows that there are those on the outside who think they could do a better job as well.

it really is looking like their Hodgson moment and the bastards deserve it to last as long as possible

I remember that gut wrenching feeling pretty much every morning after we lost that game at Goodison and he came out with that shite after the game about being our best performance when I'd wake up and check the internet only to be disappointed he hadn't gone yet

• Upvote 2

it really is looking like their Hodgson moment and the bastards deserve it to last as long as possible

I remember that gut wrenching feeling pretty much every morning after we lost that game at Goodison and he came out with that shite after the game about being our best performance when I'd wake up and check the internet only to be disappointed he hadn't gone yet

I know I still see his stupid smiling face shaking Moyes hand straight after that defeat like it wasn't a bad result.

I hope utd actually get one or 2 wins just to keep Moyes in for the long haul the worst thing if he gets sacked too quick and they go and appoint somebody decent.

I should also clarify nowhere near enough wins to pass us out in the league.

The only good thing for Moyes is that they've got Sunderland next week. They will win that no matter how much he tries to fuck it up.

United probably have too much about them to drop points at Sunderland next week, but if they go about it like they did today that could be a hilariously uncomfortable 90 minutes.

As boss as it's been to watch, we need him to be just about passable there in order for some real damage to be done long term. If he's so shite that he's binned by Xmas, they'll only get someone good in.

I actually thought Sunderland looked good in spells today. Can see them making things difficult for that shower next week.