You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tyler and Neville took it to a new level yesterday. I don't think I've ever heard a co-commentator actually cheer before when a team has scored like Neville did. But overall Tyler was even worse. Neville at least maintained some objectivity with his view on the Mane decision and didn't let his dislike of our club stop him from acknowledging how great a player Mo is when they were talking about his performances this season. In contrast,  Tyler spent the whole match crying about the Mane challenge and when they were talking about Mo just started try to downplay how good he'd been by going on about how he hadn't done it for as long as Messi. It was disgusting that he used the challenge on Konate to bring up the Mane challenge again and continued to moan about it the whole time Konate was down injured and looking in some distress. How on earth some of these commentators get these jobs or exactly how they hang on to them is beyond me, 

• Upvote 5

I don't really mind Neville , he's probably fairer to Liverpool than Carragher at the moment.

Tyler is massively biased against us which baffles me a bit , as I thought he used to have decent links with us in the 70's and 80's. Putting the Liverpool games to one side , he is just boring and cliched in any other non-LFC game I watch.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, sir roger said:

I don't really mind Neville , he's probably fairer to Liverpool than Carragher at the moment.

Tyler is massively biased against us which baffles me a bit , as I thought he used to have decent links with us in the 70's and 80's. Putting the Liverpool games to one side , he is just boring and cliched in any other non-LFC game I watch.

There's no doubt Tyler hates us. He always sounds gutted every time we score. Who was he working with in the 70s and 80s to get a good relationship with us? To be honest, I only really remember him from sky, although I assume he didn't get that job without some experience. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's no doubt Tyler hates us. He always sounds gutted every time we score. Who was he working with in the 70s and 80s to get a good relationship with us? To be honest, I only really remember him from sky, although I assume he didn't get that job without some experience. 

I think Tyler was ITVs backup commentator to Brian Moore in the 80s and early 90s wasn’t he?

1 hour ago, Frank Dacey said:

I seem to remember Tyler commentating on Granada when they had the ITV franchise for the North West. Everytime I listen to him, he sounds like a doddery old man, laughing at his own unfunny jokes. Just like Motson in his final years.

I only remember gerald sinstadt doing the Granada job. And Elton welsby did something, but I don't recall him as commentator.

3 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

I think Tyler was ITVs backup commentator to Brian Moore in the 80s and early 90s wasn’t he?

Yes. He was ruined when Sky paired him with Andy Gray. They really pushed the 'banter' theme, talking away about where they'd had dinner, what the weather was like, etc etc, while the game was going on. Before that Tyler wasn't afraid to just watch the game and choose his moments to actually speak. After that he became terrified of silence, and started droning about what happened 43 years ago when someone else under 6 foot tall with a 'y' in their name hit a corner straight into touch in the second half. That kind of 'fun' fact. 

Then stage two: being encouraged to scream certain players' names when they score, like some mad schoolgirl - 'Aguerrrrrrro!' Henreeeee!' Ridiculous.

Then stage three: quite openly soundiing depressed when some teams score, and ecsstatic when other ones do. 

He trots out this ridiculous excuse - 'Oh, it's nonsense I like any top club, I'm a lifelong Woking fan!' Convenient, isn't it, that nearly all football commentators claim to be lifelong fans of the tiniest clubs they can think of?' Motson claimed he was a mad Barnet fan. Jonathan Pearce says he loves Hassocks FC. Guy Mowbray says he's a York City fan. Clive Tiddley, whom everyone knows is a manc fan through and through, insists he doesn't support any team at all now.

Actually the only one that's plausible is Barry Davies's claim that he supports Windsor & Eton. I could imagine that. He probably has his butler come with him to spin the rattle when fair play is observed.

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, gkmacca said:

Yes. He was ruined when Sky paired him with Andy Gray. They really pushed the 'banter' theme, talking away about where they'd had dinner, what the weather was like, etc etc, while the game was going on. Before that Tyler wasn't afraid to just watch the game and choose his moments to actually speak. After that he became terrified of silence, and started droning about what happened 43 years ago when someone else under 6 foot tall with a 'y' in their name hit a corner straight into touch in the second half. That kind of 'fun' fact. 

Then stage two: being encouraged to scream certain players' names when they score, like some mad schoolgirl - 'Aguerrrrrrro!' Henreeeee!' Ridiculous.

Then stage three: quite openly soundiing depressed when some teams score, and ecsstatic when other ones do. 

He trots out this ridiculous excuse - 'Oh, it's nonsense I like any top club, I'm a lifelong Woking fan!' Convenient, isn't it, that nearly all football commentators claim to be lifelong fans of the tiniest clubs they can think of?' Motson claimed he was a mad Barnet fan. Jonathan Pearce says he loves Hassocks FC. Guy Mowbray says he's a York City fan. Clive Tiddley, whom everyone knows is a manc fan through and through, insists he doesn't support any team at all now.

Actually the only one that's plausible is Barry Davies's claim that he supports Windsor & Eton. I could imagine that. He probably has his butler come with him to spin the rattle when fair play is observed.

Most came through their ranks when any hint of having a regional accent or being normal was considered akin to having three heads. It's not that unbelievable to think that one or two had no allegiances but not all of them. Des Lynam did a bit of commentary in his early days and never hid his support for Brighton at all.

13 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I only remember gerald sinstadt doing the Granada job. And Elton welsby did something, but I don't recall him as commentator.

He keeps popping up on the Big Match Revisited, deffo used to do the odd game for Granada in the early 80's.

13 hours ago, gkmacca said:

Alan Green was clearly a Liverpool fan, he used to lay into us in the 90's (rightly so) and rarely had a good word to say about Man U, even when they were good.   

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Em City said:

The same Richard Keys who had an affair with his daughter's friend. Yeah, he's a real paragon of decency.

"Goodness - this is hard!' I bet that's what you say to all your daughter's friends.

"What he should be grateful for is that it came to a head quickly enough for limited damage to have been caused to the club - just as it did at Real Madrid, Inter and Chelsea" - what, you mean just after he'd won stuff for them? That kind of limited damage?

"I'm told he wasn’t going to walk - that he wanted his money before he left Goodison. Ok. He was contractually due - but morally?" How much did you walk away with, Richie, 'morally,' when Sky booted you out for being a Neanderthal knuckle-dragging git?

'I read that Roberto Martinez is favourite. I like him. I can’t pretend to know him well' - oh, go on, mate, just pretend - you normally find it easy enough!

"Moyes loves it at West Ham - but he’s a Toffee at heart" - and you've got a toffee for a brain.

"How did I do?" - as shite as ever, you ghastly hairy-handed gobshite.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, index1000 said:

Richard keys comments about Rafa today are a new low even for him.

How the fuck is he not sacked. 'Benitez does not have a decent bone in his body'

Richard Keys questions 'decency' of Rafa Benitez in gleeful response to Everton sacking - Liverpool Echo

What a horrible stain of a man Keys is. I can't recall why he has such hatred towards Rafa, did Rafa upset him? I do remember him and Gray getting on their high horses when he did that "game over" hand gesture (against Blackburn?), but surely there must be something else for the constant digs at him.

Keys and Gray hated Benitez from the moment he arrived at Anfield, part of their belief that this influx of foreign managers was queering the pitch for British managers and the LMA (anyone got that Hodgson at the LMA video that was posted here after he was sacked?). Strangely, their contempt for foreign managers never extended to Mourinho. as a pundit, I'd place Garth Crooks above Keys.

• Upvote 2

On 17/01/2022 at 18:30, manwiththestick said:

What a horrible stain of a man Keys is. I can't recall why he has such hatred towards Rafa, did Rafa upset him? I do remember him and Gray getting on their high horses when he did that "game over" hand gesture (against Blackburn?), but surely there must be something else for the constant digs at him.

His obsession with Rafa IS really odd. Almost Cummings-like in its entirely self-serving intensity, but thankfully not quite so cynically over-indulged by the media.