Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 25/05/2021 at 11:30, VladimirIlyich said:

His old Barca and Blueshite teammates would be a bit pissed off with those comments.

His old MOTD teammates Hansen and Lawrenson would be pissed off as well.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

His old MOTD teammates Hansen and Lawrenson would be pissed off as well.

Isn’t Lawro confined to 505 radio and web prison these days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/05/2021 at 23:36, Stickman said:

Lineker on MOTD “”No team played out from the back till Pep turned up ...Maybe the jug eared prick is still bitter at being beaten to the league and cup double in 86 by the ball playing Hansen and Lawrenson ....

To be fare they are the best at playing out from the back. When we try it it's nearly always dramatic or leads to a goal. Needs players with confidence and composer on the ball and They have it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Butch said:

To be fare they are the best at playing out from the back. When we try it it's nearly always dramatic or leads to a goal. Needs players with confidence and composer on the ball and They have it. 

We have it too,but only when our regular CBs are fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

We have it too,but only when our regular CBs are fit.

Holland (and Ajax) & Brazil did it in the 70s, the Italians (particularly Milan) and ourselves did it in the 80s, France in the naughties, and practically every Spanish team since 2003.

 

Lineker can fuck off.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, m0e said:

Holland (and Ajax) & Brazil did it in the 70s, the Italians (particularly Milan) and ourselves did it in the 80s, France in the naughties, and practically every Spanish team since 2003.

 

Lineker can fuck off.

Ajax,3 Euro Cups in a row,Bayern 3 in a row,us 2 in a row and all back in the 1970s. And they are just three examples going back almost 50 years. Why are they such tits?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Ajax,3 Euro Cups in a row,Bayern 3 in a row,us 2 in a row and all back in the 1970s. And they are just three examples going back almost 50 years. Why are they such tits?

City payroll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw a piece of 'banter' aimed at Richards where the others on the panel said ' Micah knows loads about North Macedonia ' and just pissed themselves laughing. Maybe I'm just a miserable get but I would be disappointed if a pundit being paid quite well hadn't studied the elements of his job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Saw a piece of 'banter' aimed at Richards where the others on the panel said ' Micah knows loads about North Macedonia ' and just pissed themselves laughing. Maybe I'm just a miserable get but I would be disappointed if a pundit being paid quite well hadn't studied the elements of his job.

No evidence to suggest this is normal practice

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello I'm Gary. I'm an overpaid twat and somehow I rake in millions of pounds of bbc license fee payers money for doing bits of talking in between clips of footy.

 

 59b54895.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Danny Murphy getting a deserved kicking on Twitter.  The reality is that the tv companies need to start offering stadium only audio so that we can turn the prattling wankers off and just watch the football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/05/2021 at 23:36, Stickman said:

Lineker on MOTD “”No team played out from the back till Pep turned up ...Maybe the jug eared prick is still bitter at being beaten to the league and cup double in 86 by the ball playing Hansen and Lawrenson ....

I think he’s right with this one. Hansen and lawrenson could play and would bring the ball out, but this new and ridiculous playing out from your own 18 yard box under any circumstances nonsense has come from guardiola. It amazes me how much people have adopted it. It’s ridiculous. It’s like a game of fifa 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/06/2021 at 08:03, belarus said:

I think he’s right with this one. Hansen and lawrenson could play and would bring the ball out, but this new and ridiculous playing out from your own 18 yard box under any circumstances nonsense has come from guardiola. It amazes me how much people have adopted it. It’s ridiculous. It’s like a game of fifa 

You have only been allowed to enter your own area when a goal kick was taken from this last season. Previously the Gk and goal kick taker were the only people inside the penalty area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You have only been allowed to enter your own area when a goal kick was taken from this last season. Previously the Gk and goal kick taker were the only people inside the penalty area.

Yeah, I’m aware of that. The playing out from the back isn’t confined to the goal kicks. And even if it was, the defenders are at separate corners of the extremities of the box, so if it was happening then, it wouldn’t make much difference by being in the other side of the line. Liverpool rolled and played the ball out more than most, I’m sure, but they certainly weren’t playing out from the back 90% of the time the way everyone has started doing now. To say we were doing what teams are now back then is not correct

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, belarus said:

Yeah, I’m aware of that. The playing out from the back isn’t confined to the goal kicks. And even if it was, the defenders are at separate corners of the extremities of the box, so if it was happening then, it wouldn’t make much difference by being in the other side of the line. Liverpool rolled and played the ball out more than most, I’m sure, but they certainly weren’t playing out from the back 90% of the time the way everyone has started doing now. To say we were doing what teams are now back then is not correct

I thought the remark was more about 'playing out from the back?' Rather than specifics? I may be wrong of course.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I thought the remark was more about 'playing out from the back?' Rather than specifics? I may be wrong of course.

Fair enough - I was talking about the initial comment saying lineker was talking bollocks by saying pep started this new way of playing out from the back. The argument that Liverpool were doing it years ago, which I agree they were, but not in this style. This new putting people under undue pressure to keep the ball under any circumstances is bollocks. Defenders playing one twos with their keeper, who is the one breaking forward past the attacker is nonsense. Sometimes the best option is is to get rid.

 

I don’t see why everyone has copied it either. Whichever team is at the top gets imitated and I get that, but this is ludicrous. As I say, like how people play fifa 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, belarus said:

Fair enough - I was talking about the initial comment saying lineker was talking bollocks by saying pep started this new way of playing out from the back. The argument that Liverpool were doing it years ago, which I agree they were, but not in this style. This new putting people under undue pressure to keep the ball under any circumstances is bollocks. Defenders playing one twos with their keeper, who is the one breaking forward past the attacker is nonsense. Sometimes the best option is is to get rid.

 

I don’t see why everyone has copied it either. Whichever team is at the top gets imitated and I get that, but this is ludicrous. As I say, like how people play fifa 

I imagine the better teams play from the goalkeeper in the hope or expectation of drawing the opposition towards the ball and exploiting the space between and behind them. When your team doesnt play like the cloggers at Burnley and hasnt got 6 foot 5 centre forwards then long high balls from the back are pretty useless to these types of teams. Guardiola didn't 'invent' this though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I imagine the better teams play from the goalkeeper in the hope or expectation of drawing the opposition towards the ball and exploiting the space between and behind them. When your team doesnt play like the cloggers at Burnley and hasnt got 6 foot 5 centre forwards then long high balls from the back are pretty useless to these types of teams. Guardiola didn't 'invent' this though.

Yeah, I do grasp the concept of what they are trying to achieve mate, but while I am no Guardiola fan, if you are trying to tell me that he didn’t start this current style of play then I will have to just agree to disagree I suppose.

 

When have we ever before seen 3 defenders coming within 10-15 yards for the pass from a goal kick, be it off the ground or out of hand, pretty much every time? The constant playing out from tight spaces would previously be met with derision and screams if get rid. We played at the right times. We went long when avoiding playing ourselves into trouble. This is a new style. No comparison to what we used to do. And our way was better than this new style - it’s brainless. You can’t have a one size fits all, play short passes out in any situation tactic. It will get found out, and has been numerous times.

 

I agreed to disagree and then got another opinion in. Disgusting behaviour. I love it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, belarus said:

Yeah, I do grasp the concept of what they are trying to achieve mate, but while I am no Guardiola fan, if you are trying to tell me that he didn’t start this current style of play then I will have to just agree to disagree I suppose.

 

When have we ever before seen 3 defenders coming within 10-15 yards for the pass from a goal kick, be it off the ground or out of hand, pretty much every time? The constant playing out from tight spaces would previously be met with derision and screams if get rid. We played at the right times. We went long when avoiding playing ourselves into trouble. This is a new style. No comparison to what we used to do. And our way was better than this new style - it’s brainless. You can’t have a one size fits all, play short passes out in any situation tactic. It will get found out, and has been numerous times.

 

I agreed to disagree and then got another opinion in. Disgusting behaviour. I love it

I suppose you have a point about the unconditional aspect.

 

I remember Guardiola asking Barca fans to blame him, when Valdes got caught out in a high profile game, because he didn't give his keeper a choice in the matter.

 

But inventing a style of play is not same thing as insisting on it unconditionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aws said:

If Pep invented playing out from the back then Jurgen invented pressing high up the pitch.

I think Jurgen has mentioned basing his 'gegenpress' on seeing Arrigo Sacchi's Milan sides and adapting it for his own needs. Likewise,I am sure Sacchi was influenced by somebody previous to him and so on. I'm not sure that anything is new in modern football as its a sport that has been professional for around 150 years in Britain alone. I'd say the correct word to use here is 'adaptation.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think Jurgen has mentioned basing his 'gegenpress' on seeing Arrigo Sacchi's Milan sides and adapting it for his own needs. Likewise,I am sure Sacchi was influenced by somebody previous to him and so on. I'm not sure that anything is new in modern football as its a sport that has been professional for around 150 years in Britain alone. I'd say the correct word to use here is 'adaptation.'

Exactly. The game has evolved and adapted over the years to reflect new laws, playing conditions, fitness levels, TV demands etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aws said:

If Pep invented playing out from the back then Jurgen invented pressing high up the pitch.

I never once said or suggested that he invented playing out from the back. Not even close to suggesting that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/06/2021 at 03:03, belarus said:

I think he’s right with this one. Hansen and lawrenson could play and would bring the ball out, but this new and ridiculous playing out from your own 18 yard box under any circumstances nonsense has come from guardiola. It amazes me how much people have adopted it. It’s ridiculous. It’s like a game of fifa 

Doing something unconditionally is a way of getting better at it, it's a style of coaching. Playing it out from the back all the time gets teams to become better at it. The coaches who can't implement it well enough, whose teams make catastrophic mistakes get sacked, like with any other failed tactic over time. I don't see why any of this is a problem.

 

It's also far more entertaining for fans watching teams who try this every time instead of hoofing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×