You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

But you have to admit that the same rules, by definition, makes it the same game. I've got no interest in Sunday league matches or the Cambodian third division, but I'm not going to pretend they're not football; that'd be silly.

Why don't we have pundits from the Sunday or Cambodian leagues though? That would only be fair. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

But you have to admit that the same rules, by definition, makes it the same game. I've got no interest in Sunday league matches or the Cambodian third division, but I'm not going to pretend they're not football; that'd be silly.

surely-you-cant-be-serious-are-you-kidding.gif

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Well, yeah. A game - any game - is defined by the rules by which it's played.

This isn't controversial.

You've picked your side and now want to filter any arguement through it.

It's nothing new, but I'm certainly not engaging with it.

54 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I know he’s not a great pundit but I can’t help but  like Merson. 

He’s always spoken well of us, he adores Thommo and listening to him of the Guardian football podcast today you just think…there but for the grace…

I used to be a bit anti-Merson but I think he's a decent fella who's had a few ups and downs and he does chat a load of shit but then so do 99% of pundits. He was good player too. 

• Upvote 2

He’s a likeable, flawed, chap who’s made many a mistake but probably suffered greatly for them.

A great player who seems to know very little about football. Being the former no longer seems to be a prerequisite for a career in punditry but, fortunately for him, neither does football knowledge. 

I think he needs it a great deal, so I hope he continues to spout his nonsense for the foreseeable.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Street Preacher said:

I used to be a bit anti-Merson but I think he's a decent fella who's had a few ups and downs and he does chat a load of shit but then so do 99% of pundits. He was good player too. 

Yeah that makes perfect sense. 

He’s not a great, insightful pundit. Not even close. 

But he’s a self confessed dyslexic kid from a not privileged background who ended up in a world he had no preparation for. 

How many posters on here alone grew up not

paying attention in class daydreaming of making it pro as a footballer? 

On 06/10/2021 at 18:38, lifetime fan said:

I know he’s not a great pundit but I can’t help but  like Merson. 

He’s always spoken well of us, he adores Thommo and listening to him of the Guardian football podcast today you just think…there but for the grace…

Paul Merson: Football, Gambling and Me

BBC1 tonight at 9. 

5 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

For someone with an addictive personality that was fucking hard watching. 

It was, and I haven't got an addictive personality, grew up with a few who have though.

He knows he's made a bollocks of his life, and he is trying to sort himself out.

Noticed when I was watching that he has a fucking big skin lesion on the side of his head too, needs to get that fucker checked out!

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

For someone with an addictive personality that was fucking hard watching. 

I don’t mind Paul Merson, he was a good player. I only watched the first half as I watched to catch the second half of Coronation Street on ITV +1. I agree it was a touch watch. A bit too close to home, given I’ve had problems with alcoholism and gambling.

• Upvote 1

According to the ‘great’ Micah Richards, Rose is normally great at 1v1’s, after losing approx 50 of them to Salah in the Watford game. They are absolutely rubbish, every single one of them. Not a single word of wisdom across the whole lot.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DJLJ said:

According to the ‘great’ Micah Richards, Rose is normally great at 1v1’s, after losing approx 50 of them to Salah in the Watford game. They are absolutely rubbish, every single one of them. Not a single word of wisdom across the whole lot.

Micah Richards is a complete and utter knob.  

On 17/10/2021 at 05:55, DJLJ said:

To be fair to Micah, he would know all about being a fucking shit full back that used to be able to run fast.