You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

3 hours ago, skend04 said:

The punditry has matched the quality of the football. Both have been bad. Lee Dixon is a particular favourite of mine for how shit he's been. Jenas is shit too. In fact I can't recall a single piece of decent punditry in the last couple of weeks.

Not being obtuse here but,what exactly passes for decent punditry? I've seen the likes of Arsene Wenger use detailed tactical analysis without the need for tactics boards talking about CL football in the past and I'd say that is the closest I have seen myself.

5 hours ago, i5x said:

Reading the last few pages re female commentary, I feel compelled to comment from a female perspective.

For me it depends on what input they are asked to give. I think in any sport no-one particularly enjoys someone who speaks and won't stfu, with comments that show no insight, usefulness or are just banal; irrespective of gender.

If their is genuine insight in to tactics or formations, for example, that is something that is equivalent and insight can be gained from experience playing at a lower level or even watching / educating yourself. Sure their maybe some differences, again you can educate yourself in this reguard to a large extent. However, it is when female comentators begin commenting on what it is like taking a pen for example, or pressures of the game etc., this is when I start getting annoyed and call bullshit. I did when Clark Calslie was a commentator on the world cup, I hated listening to him that much it still grates, truly wofull.

If you have not played in a game that high profile you simply can not know what it is like. Given the women's game has just recently gone pro and lower profile of the women's game in this country, they don't and cant offer insights in to being in elite professional football. Sure they may have represented the national team but it is nowhere near equivalent, they didn't have 60k people in the stadium, the massive tv audience, the pressure of a nation or the shear nuts amount of money involved.

They simply can not give insighte in to this as they have not experienced it. It does my head in when they are asked to or voluntarily begin talking about it, as it really is not compatible to anything they will have experienced.

Personally don't enjoy women's football, for me it is too obviously slower than the mens game. Compared to something like track and field or even tennis where the difference is much less obvious. I actually object to it being pushed on the bbc site like it is, as it makes it more difficult to actually fined what I want to see.

Thanks for posting this.

What do you think the angle is here?

Is it about showing that women have a place in the men's game?

Or is it simply to highlight the women's game to the existing men's fanbase in order to attempt to increase its popularity?

I know that plenty of groups have identified it as massive growth potential, and the clubs are starting to take it more seriously than ever.

Perhaps it's both?

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Not being obtuse here but,what exactly passes for decent punditry? I've seen the likes of Arsene Wenger use detailed tactical analysis without the need for tactics boards talking about CL football in the past and I'd say that is the closest I have seen myself.

Someone worth listening to. Either through their personality, knowledge, humour, character, or experience.

I'd put the vast majority of pundits in at least one of those brackets. None of them are perfect, and very few tick more than 2 or 3 boxes.

But all of them add something into the mix, and they're worth listening to simply based on what they've contributed.

That's why I think Jenas is a bit of a joke. What the fuck has he done?! At least Cahill played in major tournaments for Australia.

The problem isn't the pundits themselves. That's only a part of it.

The problem is the production, which when not talking about the main highlights form the game, is designed around 'banter' or headline-style controversy

It's like a quality actor with a shit production. It's never going to work.

They are also asked to constantly hype up the big games coming up next. It's shit.

There's only so much insight you can get from:

"Was that a red card?"

"Do you think it was a penalty?"

"Should he have hit the target?"

Followed by:

"Big game coming up next week..."

I've had the opportunity to sit with plenty of footballers (and some of the pundits criticised regularly on here) and when given the space, they all have something useful to share.

7 hours ago, i5x said:

Reading the last few pages re female commentary, I feel compelled to comment from a female perspective.

For me it depends on what input they are asked to give. I think in any sport no-one particularly enjoys someone who speaks and won't stfu, with comments that show no insight, usefulness or are just banal; irrespective of gender.

If their is genuine insight in to tactics or formations, for example, that is something that is equivalent and insight can be gained from experience playing at a lower level or even watching / educating yourself. Sure their maybe some differences, again you can educate yourself in this reguard to a large extent. However, it is when female comentators begin commenting on what it is like taking a pen for example, or pressures of the game etc., this is when I start getting annoyed and call bullshit. I did when Clark Calslie was a commentator on the world cup, I hated listening to him that much it still grates, truly wofull.

If you have not played in a game that high profile you simply can not know what it is like. Given the women's game has just recently gone pro and lower profile of the women's game in this country, they don't and cant offer insights in to being in elite professional football. Sure they may have represented the national team but it is nowhere near equivalent, they didn't have 60k people in the stadium, the massive tv audience, the pressure of a nation or the shear nuts amount of money involved.

They simply can not give insighte in to this as they have not experienced it. It does my head in when they are asked to or voluntarily begin talking about it, as it really is not compatible to anything they will have experienced.

Personally don't enjoy women's football, for me it is too obviously slower than the mens game. Compared to something like track and field or even tennis where the difference is much less obvious. I actually object to it being pushed on the bbc site like it is, as it makes it more difficult to actually fined what I want to see.

Perfectly reasoned perspective- I think you hit the nail on the head- of course both genders can commentate but you have to earn the respect in some way- not just be put on prime time massive matches based on nothing more than the broadcaster not wanting to be found wanting by the woke antagonists    

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Dave D said:

The only pundits that make me sit up and listen are Keane and Souness- even if I disagree with them. I dont mind Keown when he's on

Keane is not very good IMO. He clearly plays up his ‘character’. He just seems bitter and negative about everything. There are plenty better.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Keane is not very good IMO. He clearly plays up his ‘character’. He just seems bitter and negative about everything. There are plenty better.

I dont mind him. He's a cartoon character for sure, but he'll dish the shit out to whoever- sometimes its unjustified but refreshing at the same time.     

3 hours ago, aRdja said:

Disagree. Overall there are very few good pundits, every single one of them seems to want to play to their character. If you compare it to other sports, football is very low on the amount of good pundits. 

case in point,Carra now believe that England are favourites to win the European championships. 

whomever it was that mentioned bandwagon rolling moron pundits above are correct. Not a single original thought between them. 

18 hours ago, m0e said:

Thanks for posting this.

What do you think the angle is here?

Is it about showing that women have a place in the men's game?

Or is it simply to highlight the women's game to the existing men's fanbase in order to attempt to increase its popularity?

I know that plenty of groups have identified it as massive growth potential, and the clubs are starting to take it more seriously than ever.

Perhaps it's both?

Well it is not just about advertising the womens game, like you say maybe it is also to try and have more women watching the mens game as well also.  I know plenty of women who watch the mens game, I go to my seat in the Main Stand and see a good amout of women there - much more so when I was a kid, when I would not really see many other girls / women. There has been a slow growth over the years, football authorities / tv companies prob believe the mens game is saturated in most countries, with the sky era widening socio-economic strata who are interested. It is easy to see what demographics are currently watching the game on tv by advertisments at time half are targeting and it is not women. So 50% of population have never really been targeted in the same way - kachinge. More viewers = more sponsers = more revenue and advertises throwing money around and the gravy train continues on its path for a few years longer.

As for the womens game, there is indeed a hugh push to garner interest, so it is absolutly about trying to make it more relevent. As you say there is also the money making potential, quick google says FIFA alone generated $4.1bn in 2019, even if womens game managest to generate just 20% of what mens game does evryone is quids in.

A female match commontator convieniently pushes both points and gives the impression of inclusivity, when lets face it - money is the real issue same as always. Shame really, as instead of looking for someone who will stand out with their knowlage and talent, it is same criterior they look for in the men, ie often than not an ex player who can string a couple of sentances togeather.

Sadly the bar has not exactly been set high in this regaurd in recent times and makes little difference if it is a male of female voice churning out clichés, and talking about scenarios they have never experianced.

Or maybe I am full of shit and being cynical? Nah.

• Upvote 2

I think the problem with the Women's game is that it has tried to follow the Male game and have a female team for every team. But, that simply means that the biggest teams are going to have a team and others aren't as they can't afford to support another team. So, who are those supporters going to support? 

You support Tranmere, I doubt very much that supporting Everton or Liverpool Ladies is a viable alternative to you. Maybe they should have followed a completely different model and gone regional ala Cricket, or something like that. It's expensive following a football club - I couldn't afford to follow another one, so as it stands they never getting to the same level. 

I agree I've got zero interest in womens football because I've got a team already but young kids and especially young girls may have a different view, that is until a load of hairy arse second division players decide to become women and tear shit up on that level.

LET THE THREAD DESCEND TO PURE SHITNESS!

source-1.gif

11 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I agree I've got zero interest in womens football because I've got a team already but young kids and especially young girls may have a different view, that is until a load of hairy arse second division players decide to become women and tear shit up on that level.

LET THE THREAD DESCEND TO PURE SHITNESS!

source-1.gif

If we are going to let the thread descend into shit we may as well go the whole hog......

..........FSG seem alright to me

thunderstorm GIF