You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On 23/05/2021 at 23:36, Stickman said:

Lineker on MOTD “”No team played out from the back till Pep turned up ...Maybe the jug eared prick is still bitter at being beaten to the league and cup double in 86 by the ball playing Hansen and Lawrenson ....

To be fare they are the best at playing out from the back. When we try it it's nearly always dramatic or leads to a goal. Needs players with confidence and composer on the ball and They have it. 

15 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

We have it too,but only when our regular CBs are fit.

Holland (and Ajax) & Brazil did it in the 70s, the Italians (particularly Milan) and ourselves did it in the 80s, France in the naughties, and practically every Spanish team since 2003.

Lineker can fuck off.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, m0e said:

Holland (and Ajax) & Brazil did it in the 70s, the Italians (particularly Milan) and ourselves did it in the 80s, France in the naughties, and practically every Spanish team since 2003.

Lineker can fuck off.

Ajax,3 Euro Cups in a row,Bayern 3 in a row,us 2 in a row and all back in the 1970s. And they are just three examples going back almost 50 years. Why are they such tits?

• Upvote 1

Saw a piece of 'banter' aimed at Richards where the others on the panel said ' Micah knows loads about North Macedonia ' and just pissed themselves laughing. Maybe I'm just a miserable get but I would be disappointed if a pundit being paid quite well hadn't studied the elements of his job.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Saw a piece of 'banter' aimed at Richards where the others on the panel said ' Micah knows loads about North Macedonia ' and just pissed themselves laughing. Maybe I'm just a miserable get but I would be disappointed if a pundit being paid quite well hadn't studied the elements of his job.

No evidence to suggest this is normal practice

• Upvote 2

On 23/05/2021 at 23:36, Stickman said:

Lineker on MOTD “”No team played out from the back till Pep turned up ...Maybe the jug eared prick is still bitter at being beaten to the league and cup double in 86 by the ball playing Hansen and Lawrenson ....

I think he’s right with this one. Hansen and lawrenson could play and would bring the ball out, but this new and ridiculous playing out from your own 18 yard box under any circumstances nonsense has come from guardiola. It amazes me how much people have adopted it. It’s ridiculous. It’s like a game of fifa 

• Downvote 1

On 15/06/2021 at 08:03, belarus said:

I think he’s right with this one. Hansen and lawrenson could play and would bring the ball out, but this new and ridiculous playing out from your own 18 yard box under any circumstances nonsense has come from guardiola. It amazes me how much people have adopted it. It’s ridiculous. It’s like a game of fifa 

You have only been allowed to enter your own area when a goal kick was taken from this last season. Previously the Gk and goal kick taker were the only people inside the penalty area.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You have only been allowed to enter your own area when a goal kick was taken from this last season. Previously the Gk and goal kick taker were the only people inside the penalty area.

Yeah, I’m aware of that. The playing out from the back isn’t confined to the goal kicks. And even if it was, the defenders are at separate corners of the extremities of the box, so if it was happening then, it wouldn’t make much difference by being in the other side of the line. Liverpool rolled and played the ball out more than most, I’m sure, but they certainly weren’t playing out from the back 90% of the time the way everyone has started doing now. To say we were doing what teams are now back then is not correct

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, belarus said:

Yeah, I’m aware of that. The playing out from the back isn’t confined to the goal kicks. And even if it was, the defenders are at separate corners of the extremities of the box, so if it was happening then, it wouldn’t make much difference by being in the other side of the line. Liverpool rolled and played the ball out more than most, I’m sure, but they certainly weren’t playing out from the back 90% of the time the way everyone has started doing now. To say we were doing what teams are now back then is not correct

I thought the remark was more about 'playing out from the back?' Rather than specifics? I may be wrong of course.

• Upvote 1

I thought the remark was more about 'playing out from the back?' Rather than specifics? I may be wrong of course.

Fair enough - I was talking about the initial comment saying lineker was talking bollocks by saying pep started this new way of playing out from the back. The argument that Liverpool were doing it years ago, which I agree they were, but not in this style. This new putting people under undue pressure to keep the ball under any circumstances is bollocks. Defenders playing one twos with their keeper, who is the one breaking forward past the attacker is nonsense. Sometimes the best option is is to get rid.

I don’t see why everyone has copied it either. Whichever team is at the top gets imitated and I get that, but this is ludicrous. As I say, like how people play fifa 

12 hours ago, belarus said:

Fair enough - I was talking about the initial comment saying lineker was talking bollocks by saying pep started this new way of playing out from the back. The argument that Liverpool were doing it years ago, which I agree they were, but not in this style. This new putting people under undue pressure to keep the ball under any circumstances is bollocks. Defenders playing one twos with their keeper, who is the one breaking forward past the attacker is nonsense. Sometimes the best option is is to get rid.

I don’t see why everyone has copied it either. Whichever team is at the top gets imitated and I get that, but this is ludicrous. As I say, like how people play fifa 

I imagine the better teams play from the goalkeeper in the hope or expectation of drawing the opposition towards the ball and exploiting the space between and behind them. When your team doesnt play like the cloggers at Burnley and hasnt got 6 foot 5 centre forwards then long high balls from the back are pretty useless to these types of teams. Guardiola didn't 'invent' this though.

40 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I imagine the better teams play from the goalkeeper in the hope or expectation of drawing the opposition towards the ball and exploiting the space between and behind them. When your team doesnt play like the cloggers at Burnley and hasnt got 6 foot 5 centre forwards then long high balls from the back are pretty useless to these types of teams. Guardiola didn't 'invent' this though.

Yeah, I do grasp the concept of what they are trying to achieve mate, but while I am no Guardiola fan, if you are trying to tell me that he didn’t start this current style of play then I will have to just agree to disagree I suppose.

When have we ever before seen 3 defenders coming within 10-15 yards for the pass from a goal kick, be it off the ground or out of hand, pretty much every time? The constant playing out from tight spaces would previously be met with derision and screams if get rid. We played at the right times. We went long when avoiding playing ourselves into trouble. This is a new style. No comparison to what we used to do. And our way was better than this new style - it’s brainless. You can’t have a one size fits all, play short passes out in any situation tactic. It will get found out, and has been numerous times.

I agreed to disagree and then got another opinion in. Disgusting behaviour. I love it

5 hours ago, belarus said:

Yeah, I do grasp the concept of what they are trying to achieve mate, but while I am no Guardiola fan, if you are trying to tell me that he didn’t start this current style of play then I will have to just agree to disagree I suppose.

When have we ever before seen 3 defenders coming within 10-15 yards for the pass from a goal kick, be it off the ground or out of hand, pretty much every time? The constant playing out from tight spaces would previously be met with derision and screams if get rid. We played at the right times. We went long when avoiding playing ourselves into trouble. This is a new style. No comparison to what we used to do. And our way was better than this new style - it’s brainless. You can’t have a one size fits all, play short passes out in any situation tactic. It will get found out, and has been numerous times.

I agreed to disagree and then got another opinion in. Disgusting behaviour. I love it

I suppose you have a point about the unconditional aspect.

I remember Guardiola asking Barca fans to blame him, when Valdes got caught out in a high profile game, because he didn't give his keeper a choice in the matter.

But inventing a style of play is not same thing as insisting on it unconditionally.

1 hour ago, aws said:

If Pep invented playing out from the back then Jurgen invented pressing high up the pitch.

I think Jurgen has mentioned basing his 'gegenpress' on seeing Arrigo Sacchi's Milan sides and adapting it for his own needs. Likewise,I am sure Sacchi was influenced by somebody previous to him and so on. I'm not sure that anything is new in modern football as its a sport that has been professional for around 150 years in Britain alone. I'd say the correct word to use here is 'adaptation.'

I think Jurgen has mentioned basing his 'gegenpress' on seeing Arrigo Sacchi's Milan sides and adapting it for his own needs. Likewise,I am sure Sacchi was influenced by somebody previous to him and so on. I'm not sure that anything is new in modern football as its a sport that has been professional for around 150 years in Britain alone. I'd say the correct word to use here is 'adaptation.'

Exactly. The game has evolved and adapted over the years to reflect new laws, playing conditions, fitness levels, TV demands etc. 

3 hours ago, aws said:

If Pep invented playing out from the back then Jurgen invented pressing high up the pitch.

I never once said or suggested that he invented playing out from the back. Not even close to suggesting that.

On 15/06/2021 at 03:03, belarus said:

Doing something unconditionally is a way of getting better at it, it's a style of coaching. Playing it out from the back all the time gets teams to become better at it. The coaches who can't implement it well enough, whose teams make catastrophic mistakes get sacked, like with any other failed tactic over time. I don't see why any of this is a problem.

It's also far more entertaining for fans watching teams who try this every time instead of hoofing it.