You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On 05/05/2021 at 10:58, VladimirIlyich said:

Another vote for the 'no sound' watching of the match. I also have been doing it for yonks and have noticed how a lot of after match 'headlines' tend to focus more on the pundits reactions rather than the game itself.

I've stumbled onto SFR coverage in France which makes more sense to me than Sky even though I don't understand French. It means I have the background chatter without having to actually listen to what's being said.

On 05/05/2021 at 19:36, manwiththestick said:

I'd sooner spend 90 minutes in an air tight room, my only source of sound is Dancing in the Moonlight by Toploader on repeat, light only from an image of James Corden smiling at me from a tv screen, and with Kerry Katona's lady part queefs being tubed in as my only source of air supply than listen to Tyler during our games.

A well thought out post.

Quite funny that we've all seen Kerry bits.

Sky this morning trying to hype up the Utd game by saying "Liverpool won't be happy with the team Utd picked last night". Even though the club hasn't commented and they obviously know Utd disrespected the league but chose to ignore that .

So made up I've fucked them off .

Edit 

And made up Klopp hasn't risen to the bait in his presser 

Miss Jimmy Hill, Des Lynam, Bob Wilson, Big Ron, Motson, Barry Davies and Brian Moore.

Just people who knew and loved the game without an agenda. I have watched some of the old football stuff a lot recently and people like Lynam or Bob Wilson were great at what they did and the quality of the commentary on both Itv and bbc was different class. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Ron Atkinson is a big racist prick and I dont miss him at all. The others? Yes,but chinny hill was a bit of a dick yet entertaining at least.

Not condoning the comment at all but thought he was good on ITV before it. I liked Jimmy Hill personally. Forgot Hansen as well, who was a brilliant pundit.

I mean aside from Souness I can't think of a competent pundit. I can't think of a commentator I like and you used to be spoilt for choice.

From Lynam or Bob Wilson to the likes of Linekar....Jesus. 

Just now, Ronnie Whelan said:

Not condoning the comment at all but thought he was good on ITV before it. I liked Jimmy Hill personally. Forgot Hansen as well, who was a brilliant pundit.

I mean aside from Souness I can't think of a competent pundit. I can't think of a commentator I like and you used to be spoilt for choice.

I've rewatched some old Match of The Day, Big Matches and Kick Offs etc over the past few months and they were well better than now. Jimmy Hill was a massive prick but he did seem to care about the game a little,although he never missed a trick to make money from it such as installing the first all seater stadium as Coventry Chairman. He was also a bit 'Garth Crookes' on some of the topics of the day.

I suppose that is the main difference between then and now. Back then, the commentators and pundits had a genuine interest in the game. These days they all love all the bullshit that surrounds the game, and look to make a name for themselves by trying to be controversial.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Stickman said:

What is it with our ex-players ?...This one is even worse than his pen in 84

Funny how lots of our ex players talk bollocks about the club that made them. They should be more like thommo. Cunts 

4 hours ago, sir roger said:

Has there ever been a decent ESPN contributor ?

No mate everyone is a cunt. The fact that Shaka Hislop is the best of the lot sums them up. I remember reading Jockey's autobiography and he said that Nicol was one of the most stupid twats he ever met. Seems he was spot on.

On 12/05/2021 at 22:19, Ronnie Whelan said:

Ron manager.... wasnt it, isnt it, hmm...

1 hour ago, index1000 said:

No mate everyone is a cunt. The fact that Shaka Hislop is the best of the lot sums them up. I remember reading Jockey's autobiography and he said that Nicol was one of the most stupid twats he ever met. Seems he was spot on.

Fair comments Index , but I was having a sly dig at Dave Usher's former punditry.

• Upvote 1

I have a lot of the old games playing in the background when I am working and listening to Gerald Sinstadt, Tony Gubba, Barry Davies, David Coleman, Brian Moore. Voices that defined the 70’s and 80’s for me with football as well as the BBC radio commentators. Usually intelligent and insightful comments.

Listened to Monday Night club tonight and was mostly 2 hours of “bants” and Micah “I’ll do any media me” Richards and Chris “I’m a grumpy old bastard” Sutton cackling at each other.

• Upvote 1