You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Murray Walker was a legend commentating on the Formula 1

"And now excuse me while I interrupt myself."

"There’s nothing wrong with the car except that it’s on fire."

"I make no apologies for their absence; I’m sorry they’re not here."

"If that isn’t a lap record, I’ll eat the hat I don’t normally wear!"

"And here comes Damon Hill in the Williams. This car is absolutely unique - except for the one behind it, which is exactly the same!"

"A sad ending, albeit a happy one."

"With two laps to go then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

"This would have been Senna’s third win in a row had he won the other two."

"I’ve just stopped my startwatch."

They're both super starters, but Mikka Hakkinen is a superer starter."

"He can't decide whether to have his visor half open or half closed."

On 12/8/2018 at 12:06 AM, razor said:

Coleman on Athletics was the Master.

Peter O Sullivan pushes him close.

Benaud could chat for hours, just like Peter Allis can.  They make dull sports seem interesting, such is their wit and ability to engage.  But Coleman and O Sullivan were in the most exciting sports and still added another level of exhilaration.

Yep. Ron Pickering was ace as well

On 12/8/2018 at 7:57 AM, Em City said:

Coleman was indeed the Master.

"And up comes Ovett. Those blue eyes, like chips of ice."

Superb stuff.

I'm no rugby fan but used to love listening to Bill Mclaren,

On Phil Bennett: "They say down at Stradey that if ever you catch him [Phil Bennett] you get to make a wish."

On Jonah Lomu: "I'm no hod carrier but I would be laying bricks if he [Jonah L] was running at me."

On Grant Batty: "He plays like a runaway bullet."

The great Sid Waddell. A veritable treasure chest of his more eloquent quotes can be found here:

https://www.darts501.com/Sid.html

Among them:

"The atmosphere is so tense, if Elvis walked in ,with a portion of chips..... you could hear the vinegar sizzle on them"

"Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete!”

"He's about as predictable as a wasp on speed"

17 minutes ago, SammyAftershave said:

The great Sid Waddell. A veritable treasure chest of his more eloquent quotes can be found here:

https://www.darts501.com/Sid.html

Among them:

"The atmosphere is so tense, if Elvis walked in ,with a portion of chips..... you could hear the vinegar sizzle on them"

"Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete!”

"He's about as predictable as a wasp on speed"

I remember there was a darts player from China or Japan and he was playing against a player with the surname Tucker. Back in the days where commentators seemed to have free rein on what could be said, he described it as a game nip and Tucker. Somehow I don't think that would get aired now.

He was certainly a funny guy but sometimes he did go a bit too far.

• 1 month later...

Been a good weekend for bellends.....First Colin Wanker with his political thoughts and now this...

Richard KeysVerified account @richardajkeys

If Rafa loves Newcastle as he says - spend some of his own money. He’s got enough. Management is about teamwork - why should it always be Ashley? Buy it. It’s still for sale. They’re in the bottom 3 & Rafa is responsible. He picks the team.

Him and his like seem to be pretty quiet about Sir Harold of Kane and Lord James of Vardy and their recent “being fouled without contact”

Yet not so with our “pesky little Jonny foreigner” 

the racist bigot Neanderthal