You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 8 months later...

I've always thought Andy Townsend was the most underrated pundit out there but now I reckon he's one of if not the best.Hes unbiased in his views, talks sense, is knowledgeable and doesn't say controversial statements for the sake of it.

taking piss? he has to be the most biased commentator around, he was ridiculous in this years European Super Cup and last night when Sturridge got the ball in the box and Tyldsley was commentating you could actually here him say "go on"

I've always thought Andy Townsend was the most underrated pundit out there but now I reckon he's one of if not the best.Hes unbiased in his views, talks sense, is knowledgeable and doesn't say controversial statements for the sake of it.

Ive literally read this three times trying to find the sarcasm.

• Upvote 1

taking piss? he has to be the most biased commentator around, he was ridiculous in this years European Super Cup and last night when Sturridge got the ball in the box and Tyldsley was commentating you could actually here him say "go on"

Maybe when its an English team v a foreign one or internationals but he doesn't show club biased, I remember all the champs league games we had against Chelsea when he would praise us and give credit even when we knocked them out.

• 3 months later...

Just bringing this back up to share a few bits of genius from Garth Crooks' team of the week on the BBC (I know, I can't explain why I always click on it either).

On Coutinho: 

I doubt very much whether Philippe Coutinho has ever heard of arguably Liverpool's greatest goalkeeper Ray Clemence, who sat in the stand and watched mesmerised.

Not sure what that has to do with Coutinho at all.  On Martin Skrtel, high praise for his performance that led to including him in the team of the week:

If the Slovakian can learn to defend without manhandling attackers in his own box, Liverpool can go all the way. As it stands I just can't help feeling that, as good as he was against the Gunners, he's capable of costing his team dearly in defence when it matters. Liverpool need to sort that part of his game out quickly.

But none of that compares to this bit of absolute genius, in praise of Martin Olsson's performance against City:

A tackle by Martin Olsson on Jesus Navas was a bone shaker and should have been a match winner.

Yes, you read that correctly.  A tackle so tough it should have been a match-winner!

One of the funniest things I have ever seen was Garth marching onto the pitch after Englands last Group game in a World Cup & telling Sven that he could confirm that England had qualified for the last 16 , and Sven looking at him as if he was a bit special & saying ' Yes, I know that Garth '

Crooks is great because he's clinically insane. He's like the weird kid in Primary School we all make friends with on the first day but then start avoiding when we spot them in the playground talking to worms.

I see your Garth Crooks and I raise you an Alano Pacino.

5540470627_251bigeyes_xlarge.jpeg

The pundit for the manc fulham game (with that douchewand john champion commentating) was practically neanderthal.

Almost as if someone had poured a bucket of syllables into his mouth, mixed them up and then had him regurgitate them in a random fashion.

What really annoys me with these commentators and pundits is when they call the play, "oh that's a blatant foul, definite yellow", then get proved to be totally wrong when the replay of januwank diving is shown, but then clam up and say nothing to correct their wrongness. Even when the viewer can clearly see what happened. 

That and sometimes I get the impression that they have a pre-match groupjerk about what narratives they're going to push in the game. They actually ignore match events that don't fit in with said narrative. It's like they're actually trying to brainwash the viewers.

The pundit for the manc fulham game (with that douchewand john champion commentating) was practically neanderthal.

Almost as if someone had poured a bucket of syllables into his mouth, mixed them up and then had him regurgitate them in a random fashion.

What really annoys me with these commentators and pundits is when they call the play, "oh that's a blatant foul, definite yellow", then get proved to be totally wrong when the replay of januwank diving is shown, but then clam up and say nothing to correct their wrongness. Even when the viewer can clearly see what happened. 

That and sometimes I get the impression that they have a pre-match groupjerk about what narratives they're going to push in the game. They actually ignore match events that don't fit in with said narrative. It's like they're actually trying to brainwash the viewers.

Are you talking about the co commentator, Gary Neville? I think he makes a decent enough job of it.

Neville's the pick of them at the moment. He obviously enjoys watching football, and not just one or two sides, and is still involved in the game - so he has reasoned and relevant opinions.

My only gripe with him is he shouldn't be commentating on Man Utd games. Studio's fine, but on commentary I think he's still a bit close to the Club and certain players to give truly impartial commentary.

Carragher's alright, but I don't think MNF works as well with him and Neville. I'd much rather they'd give him his own show, as opposed to having to battle for airtime with Neville.

Worst for me, by a mile, is Redknapp.