You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Street sellers and taxi drivers in particular might try to overcharge you by:

Returning the wrong amount of change. eg 5 x 200VND = 10' date='000VND when that should be 5 x 2,000VND

agreeing a fare in one currency, and then converting it incorrectly to the payment currency. eg converting $10 to 300,000VND when the official conversion rate puts $10 at around 200,000VND

Simply changing their mind about the agreed fare once you've reached your destination

Look at the note denomination carefully ( or the number) since some new note look very similar in color

Short changed for a purchase or a taxi' fare

ask for a tip => no changed at all

Pickpockets and motorbike bag snatching especially in Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi and Nha Trang are on the rise. Injuries can occur when travellers attempt to hold onto their bags

The children in the streets of Vietnam, and particularly in HCMC, are adorable, and sneaky. They are able to lift wallets, cameras and passports without effort. While talking to one, keep an eye on the other.

When a hotel becomes popular, others actually spring up with the exact same name in hopes of stealing business. Confirm the address of your hotel rather than just giving the taxi driver a name. (Also be wary of "No, that hotel is closed. I take you..." taxi scam)

Hotels in Vietnam have been known to double rates upon checkout by claiming that the price quoted was per person rather than per night. Ensure you confirm rates and payment upon arrival.[/quote']

You must have 'mug' written all over you Lance

Sorry dude' date=' re-read your PMs and you've told me quite a lot of this stuff already. Mega excited. Where to stay in Hanoi though, Salou's recommendation or the Bitch's? Maybe a night or two in each...[/quote']

Meeting lots of bitches... mine... but Salou knows his shit too.

Meeting lots of bitches... mine... but Salou knows his shit too.

I unfortunately did not meet lots of bitches in mine so that decision is made for you! The place I stayed had the nicest people though if that makes any difference, really welcoming always offering drinks/fruit/tea etc no charge and in terms of organising things for you like the trip to sapa or ha long bay trip they sort everything out really easily at decent prices too.

Also on the motorbike thing, I never did it myself alone as it looked stupidly crazy but rode on the back of one a few times and that was scary enough! those fuckers have no fear!

• 2 weeks later...

Vaguely getting an itinerary going, though don't want to be too rigid and planned.

Thinking of doing Hanoi >Sapa >Halong Bay >Hue >Hoi An >Nha Trang >Phan Thiet >Saigon.

Would like to go to an island possibly so may head back into Cambodia to go back to Koh Rong or may look into some recommendations of any Vietnamese islands.

Some friends have mentioned Con Dao, apparently you can only fly there and there aren't many tourists, which is obviously a bonus but is supposed to be more expensive.

Vaguely getting an itinerary going, though don't want to be too rigid and planned.

Thinking of doing Hanoi >Sapa >Halong Bay >Hue >Hoi An >Nha Trang >Phan Thiet >Saigon.

Would like to go to an island possibly so may head back into Cambodia to go back to Koh Rong or may look into some recommendations of any Vietnamese islands.

Some friends have mentioned Con Dao, apparently you can only fly there and there aren't many tourists, which is obviously a bonus but is supposed to be more expensive.

Leave Nha Trang and get your beach time in Hoi An. You could then fly from Danang to Saigon, saving you on the double.

Leave Nha Trang and get your beach time in Hoi An. You could then fly from Danang to Saigon, saving you on the double.
Nha Trang was a recommendation from a local, isn't it much good?

Are you flying direct to Hanoi, Remmie?
Well it's the first place I arrive in Vietnam but I fly to Amsterdam followed by Guangzhou, China then Hanoi.

How much we're your flights, Rem, if you don't mind me asking?
Bit complicated because I did it open-jaw.

Amsterdam to Hanoi with 17 hours in Guanzhou plus Saigon to Heathrow with a similar stop in between cost me £478 or thereabouts with some shitty airline called Air China Southern. Add another £50 to get to Amsterdam from Luton with Easyjet. I get a night out in Amsterdam but 17 sucky hours stuck in Guangzhou airport.

How did you find sorting your visa out? Just read up that Visa upon arrival is not recommended, so now trying to arrange a hastily arranged visa with added cost for processing time....

Bit complicated because I did it open-jaw.

Amsterdam to Hanoi with 17 hours in Guanzhou plus Saigon to Heathrow with a similar stop in between cost me £478 or thereabouts. Add another £50 to get to Amsterdam from Luton. I get a night out in Amsterdam but 17 sucky hours stuck in Guangzhou airport.

Damn. Them 17 hours will be grim. I had about 5 in Oman when I went to Nepal and they were shit. Good price though.

I'm getting it sorted before hand, the embassy didn't recommend companies like the one you linked due to the extra hassle from customs and costs involved. May deal with the Embassy direct but it's a ball ache. Luckily found all this out 2 weeks before I go.

If you 2 sorted it with the above link then fairy muff, how much did it cost you? Did you use single or multiple entry?

I'm getting it sorted before hand' date=' the embassy didn't recommend companies like the one you linked due to the extra hassle from customs and costs involved. May deal with the Embassy direct but it's a ball ache. Luckily found all this out 2 weeks before I go.

If you 2 sorted it with the above link then fairy muff, how much did it cost you? Did you use single or multiple entry?[/quote']

Here's the reply email I got...

Hi TheBitch,

You have successfully paid for the visa order below:

Document Date: 27/04/2011

Customer : TheBitch

Visa type: 1 month Single(single/multiple refers to entry, not person)

Processing type: Normal processing

Processing time: 8.00 AM ? 16.00 PM from Monday to Friday, Vietnam time ? GMT +7

Order total: $19.99

*Note:The fee you have paid is NOT included stamping fee at Vietnam airport: 25 USD for single entry and 50 USD for multiple entry.

If you have any questions or would like to speak to a customer service representative, please call our Hanoi office at +84-909-333-023 or email us at sales@myvietnamvisa.com.

Thank you,

My Vietnam Visa Team

I actually thought it cost me a lot more than that.

That shouldn't be a problem, tempted to be tight and sort it all out at the embassy though as I am going to London anyway. Hmmm.

Also, means I need to decide if I am going to Cambodia or not now, not whether I feel like it when I am there.

$70 for multiple entry is a lot.

But also, fuck it.

Nha Trang was a recommendation from a local, isn't it much good?

Well it's the first place I arrive in Vietnam but I fly to Amsterdam followed by Guangzhou, China then Hanoi.

It has a nice beach, but other than that it's a trashy, not entirely safe party town. The beach at Hoi An is just as nice and Hoi An is a much nicer place. Plus you have time constraints. You'll need 10-11 days to do the North justice. Then 4-5 for Hoi An, esp if you're buying a suit. Saigon (incl. Mekong Delta) on top is prob enough, when you allow for travel etc.

But it's obviously your call.

Just watch your butt. They're economy went through the shitter, and scamming tourists (or worse) is on the rise... I hear

That said? Enjoy it. Vietnam is crazy, but cool.

When you were talking about scamming tourists I didn't realise you meant the Embassy. Here's me thinking it would be the cheaper option:

That shouldn't be a problem, tempted to be tight and sort it all out at the embassy though as I am going to London anyway. Hmmm.

Also, means I need to decide if I am going to Cambodia or not now, not whether I feel like it when I am there.

$70 for multiple entry is a lot.

But also, fuck it.

£105 for Multiple entry the bastards. And they have this absurd rule where they don't tell you the prices until you apply, once you've applied you cannot change your mind and now I am expected to stump up £105. That's outrageous.