You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roast Dinners

Sugar Ape

Always make stock. I get bones for free off the butcher for the dog but keep a few back for us.

Reduce the stock till it gets quite syrupy and then freeze in ice cube trays.

Just add one to each lot of fresh gravy you're making.

I made chicken stock for the first time in my life yesterday.

Quite proud of myself as i'm not a natural cook. Can't believe how much better it tasted than a stock cube

I made chicken stock for the first time in my life yesterday.

Quite proud of myself as i'm not a natural cook. Can't believe how much better it tasted than a stock cube

You won't look back.

Ham bones make fantastic stock for ham and lentil soup

Ham bones? Where do you get these from? Pig bones or do they have to be from the ham?

Big fan of pea & ham soup and lentil soups in general

Yup, LF, it was surprisingly easy and very satisfying

Start shopping with your local butcher, get chatting to him and ask him if he's any left over bones.

He's only going to be keeping them for regulars so just chance your arm.

Ham bones? Where do you get these from? Pig bones or do they have to be from the ham?

Big fan of pea & ham soup and lentil soups in general

Yup' date=' LF, it was surprisingly easy and very satisfying[/quote']

I get mine from Sainsburys....they're sold for making stock here...and touch get plenty of meat off them too to add to the soup

I just made a lovely roast chicken dinner for the family. Topped off withbYorkshire puds which they were all a bit 'meh' about but then fucking demolished. Jamie Oliver recipe, never failed me, apparantly more egg than normal.

Before you think I'm a smug bastard I also made chilli this morning for tea on Tuesday. It was lovely, so when it was done instead of turning the hob off I turned it down...2 hours later and it's fucking ruined. Suppose it could have been worse and at least I didn't burn the house down.

Before you think I'm a smug bastard I also made chilli this morning for tea on Tuesday. It was lovely' date=' so when it was done instead of turning the hob off I turned it down...2 hours later and it's fucking ruined. Suppose it could have been worse and at least I didn't burn the house down.[/quote']

Funny you should say that. We had a bonfire this afternoon (love bonfires) but could we get the thing to light....eventually got it going with spray varnish. I know its terrible but I couldn't help think Mick Philpott would have done a better job of getting it going

Funny you should say that. We had a bonfire this afternoon (love bonfires) but could we get the thing to light....eventually got it going with spray varnish. I know its terrible but I couldn't help think Mick Philpott would have done a better job of getting it going

Christ, bad minds think alike! I nearly made a comment like that but thought it was too soon!

I got a blunt syringe from the auction site,with a needle about 75mm. I make up a kind of marinade from lemon juice, garlic and rosemary and inject it deep into a leg of lamb.

Food of the gods.

That wanker microwaves bacon.

I almost threw his book in the bin when I read that.

Anyone who would microwave bacon should be led to the library, handed a Webley loaded with one bullet and a large whisky, and be left to do the decent thing.

Even so, the shame would never be expunged.

No local butcher?

We've had this conversation before.....there is a butcher I go to for my ham at Christmas and certain other things but to be honest the selection and quality for every day things is better at Sainsburys...and that's the truth. Plus, the one thing I agree with Clarkson about ido away with parking restrictions in local shopping areas and you'd bring shoppers back

• 6 months later...