You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What do you think?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• I strongly agree
    • I strongly disagree
    • I agree
    • I disagree
    • I am unsure.

Great.  No doubt some keen eared official will pick up on a chant from our end & we'll end up getting punished.

I don't think our fans tend to sing these chants at the game, and there ain't any way an official is getting on one of our supporters' coaches.

When was the last time we played Manchester United in an evening game?

I'm worried that the dick-head element of our support, having had all day to fill their bellies with ale, will let themselves and us down.

Last Thursday, Tony.
  • Upvote 10

When was the last time we played Manchester United in an evening game?

I'm worried that the dick-head element of our support, having had all day to fill their bellies with ale, will let themselves and us down.

May 1999 Tony was the last time.

• Upvote 1

About right, when you've someone on the board.

6ecc398d0e51d089b8fde05c60fe121c.jpg

I think Can playing the 'it didnt hurt a bit' and 'he's really a jolly nice fellow' was taken on board by UEFA whereas markavics had a snivelling girl crying about a hand in his mush.

• Upvote 1

I remember it now. 2-2 Ince scored the equaliser and celebrated with fans at the front of The Kop.

.....Thompson crosses....!!? ...... CARRAGHER....????!!  OhhhhhhhhhhH Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Reade.

Brian Reade column: Hillsborough families' pain is impossible to describe.. adding to their misery shames ALL of football

How can we unite to fight for cheaper ticket prices but not to stop these tit-for-tat cheap-shots over the 96, Munich and other causes of heartbreak?

Warrington is a town that sits half-way between Manchester and Liverpool.

I’ve travelled there as often as I could over the past two years, to a specially-built courtroom in Birchwood Business Park, to hear inquests into the deaths of 96 people who died at a football match at Sheffield Wednesday’s ground in 1989.

I’d love to give you my opinion on what’s been said in that room on the 286 days the jury have sat but, for legal reasons, I can’t.

What I can tell you is that many of the bereaved families, who now await the jury being sent out to deliver fresh verdicts, are in the most emotionally fragile state I’ve ever seen them.

It’s understandable.

They’ve had to watch, many for the first time in 27 years, video footage of their loved ones’ last movements in those Hillsborough pens.

Prior to the kick-off you can see smiling faces, clapping hands, a beach ball being playfully prodded into the air, normality on a sunny day.

And then the footage switches to bodies lying on the pitch or being rushed towards a mortuary on advertising hoardings. With the person they lost circled throughout.

Those sights are inducing a level of pain that’s impossible to describe.

So I won’t.

But I’d like to ask any of the many Manchester United fans who last Thursday repeatedly belted out, “The Sun were right; you’re murderers” so loud it could be clearly heard on television, if it occurred to them that some of those tortured families might have been listening?

Were you thinking that Hillsborough is some distant event and therefore abusing the victims is acceptable? (And don’t even begin to say you weren’t referencing Hillsborough when quoting judgements by The Sun).

If so, can I point out that it is such a current event that the chants could potentially be a mass contempt of court, as the jury is being asked to consider if fans played any part in the disaster.

I walked through that opened Leppings Lane gate in 1989, but that’s not why those chants anger me so much.

They anger me because of the effect I know they have on the families who I’ve been walking with ever since on their long, gruelling search for the truth. They anger me because of the ignorance of those, many approaching, or in middle-age, who do the chanting.

They can’t possibly know the truth.

And don’t they realise that if their side had won their 1989 FA Cup quarter-final against Nottingham Forest, and Hillsborough had been chosen as the venue, there’s a chance that United fans would have been on the Leppings Lane terrace that catastrophic day? How it could be their mother or brother sitting in that Warrington court-room waiting for answers 27 years after their lives were ripped apart?

This abuse is not one-sided.

There were Liverpool fans taunting United fans with aeroplane gestures last Thursday, and there were no doubt isolated pockets of them singing about Munich in pubs outside the ground.

I’ve heard them and it turns my stomach on many levels.

Again, their rank ignorance means they don’t realise that the Matt Busby they celebrate almost dying in the snow, was one of Liverpool’s greatest players.

The truth is, death banter in football grounds should have been eradicated before Hillsborough. That it is still mainstream shames all supporters.

How can you unite for cheap ticket prices but not unite to stop cheap-shots at people suffering deep heart-break?

On Thursday night, some of those people will be pulling onto the M62 at Junction 11 and heading home, feeling as empty as ever, while excited fans head in the opposite direction towards Old Trafford, a mere 12 miles away.

If any of you fancy singing about Hillsborough, Heysel or Munich, can you first think of those emotionally fragile people, sitting at home, choosing not to put the telly on in case they hear you? Choosing instead to go to bed to block out the misery before another day of it in that bleak Warrington court-room.

And if you still feel it’s okay to sing about football disasters, then you should never be allowed back inside a ground.

The only place you should be in is therapy.

I saw a post in the Guardian comments asking of anybody would deem it acceptable if United drew PSG and sung about those who died in the Bataclan disaster, or if they drew either of the Madrid sides and sung about the Atocha bombings?

It would be widely criticised and they'd be held to task for it.

But, some United fans and some rival fans have dressed this up as of of those things that happens, it's part of the rivalry etc.

It's madness that people seem happy to make a distinction that tragic, premature deaths are an acceptable subject for "banter" (I fucking DESPISE that word) if they've happened around football, but largely wouldn't dream about singing songs about other non-football deaths.

We can't totally absolve ourselves of behaving like this, but it's just a really repulsive side of the game that sheer tribalism and hatred makes people act in such horrific ways that they probably wouldn't even dream of doing otherwise.

banter used to mean light hearted to and fro chat. Now used as a euphemism for abuse by poor sports and boors eg the Australian cricket team and Mancs

banter used to mean light hearted to and fro chat. Now used as a euphemism for abuse by poor sports and boors eg the Australian cricket team and Mancs

You're not actually comparing some of the childish shit said by Warner, Haddin etc to the filth being chanted the other night, surely?