You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What do you think?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• I strongly agree
    • I strongly disagree
    • I agree
    • I disagree
    • I am unsure.

There were fuck all Munich chants last night. Anybody saying otherwise is a liar. Simple as. Obviously you can't legislate for the odd moron in a crowd of thousands shouting something or making an aeroplane gesture (they should rightfully be ejected and banned), but to suggest this is even some way comparable is staggering. In their case, we're talking a fucking majority of their end (thousands when we play at their place) going through their usual hateful repertoire.

The sad thing is, there's a fair section of their support who aren't even arsed about Munich. To them, it's just something used to take the moral high ground or eke a reaction. I've lost count of the amount of times I've watched us play at Old Trafford and seen swathes of their support not even watching the match, eyes on our allocation making aeroplane gestures, all singing 'where's your famous Munich song?' and when our knobhead fringe have obliged, they've responded with ironic cheers and applause.

That, and their shithouse response today, just sums their club up. They don't sing 'we're Man Utd, we do what we want' because it scans or it's a catchy tune, it encapsulates their whole mentality of thinking they're above standards and decency. If it's not singing the usual shite to us, it's singing 'always look out for Turkish fans with knives' after winning the league not long after the two Leeds fans were stabbed in Istanbul. If it's not wearing Cantona masks on trips to Selhurst Park, it's journeying on to the bridge close to the Stadio Olimpico despite warnings not to and then crying when they take a hiding. If it's not their own fucking players singing about winning it three times without killing anyone on the pitch in Moscow, it's the head of their own supporters club laughably claiming 'always the victim' isn't about Hillsborough after they sang it in response to Aston Villa fans singing 'justice for the 96' the weekend after the findings were released. They're the equivalent of a shithouse little kid consciously pushing people's buttons to see how far they can go and then throwing a paddy when someone finally decides to give them a deserved clip round the ear.

They're just a horrible, horrible club. Fuck them. Lying, hypocritical, antagonistic shithouses.

• Upvote 31

If you want an end to it you need to accept it happens at anfield and at old trafford. Doesnt matter if its 3000 singing it, 300 or 3. Heysel Munich Hillsborough chanting is a disgrace and needs to be made illegal like sectarian chanting in scotland.

It's never your fault! It's never your fault! Always the victim! It's never your fault!

How ironic that they sing that but whenever they get caught or called out on their behaviour there's always mitigating circumstances whereby they "justify" their actions. There are some decent people who follow United but there's a very horrible contingent who seem to come to the fore. Even more so now that they're not winning anymore.

• Upvote 5

I used to work with an Irish lad who was a relation of the great Liam Whelan who died at Munich. He used to get seriously pissed off at how a terrible tragedy was used to justify them singing about us. He was a proper gentleman and a true football man though even if he understandably supported United. They make alot less like him these days.

I do feel Fergie played a big part in stirring this up allied to the fact we dominated them for 30 odd years. He actively encouraged that sort of tribalism. Great manager but a thug below the service. Now, it's got to the stage where it's almost mainstream with them to sing that shit, whereas it's a small small minority of our support.

Maybe i'm biased but i definitely think that's the case. Having said that, lets ensure that next Thursday our own knobs are silenced.

The quotes from the police about acting on a complaint are a total fucking joke, there were dozens of coppers there last night who heard it clear as day, I was walking past loads of them who were penning their fans in at the end and it was still happening then.

They were just standing emotionless pretending they couldn't hear anything rather than getting their hands dirty actually dealing with the problem.

I rewatched the match on LFC website last night, and in doing so was able to take a bit more note of what they sang.

It took 7 minutes for the first "never the victim chant" to be audible. They weren't getting beat at this point so it's clear that it wasn't driven by frustration.

There were almost immediate "without killing anyone" songs. I get the feeling they sing them together to justify their bullshit that the first one is about heysel.

The first "sun was right" came around 14 minutes. Again 0-0. In response to us singing "fergie was right" - it was clear as day, as was the "murderers" element.

They can try and justify all they want, but it's there to be heard and seen.

Bunch of cunts.

I know a few older mancs who reckon this is a relatively recent phenomenon, and that while there was always rivalry, the hate sprang from Ferguson and his 'knock them off their perch' shite. That before that they were more arsed about City and Leeds.

• Upvote 1

I know a few older mancs who reckon this is a relatively recent phenomenon, and that while there was always rivalry, the hate sprang from Ferguson and his 'knock them off their perch' shite. That before that they were more arsed about City and Leeds.

I remember in the late 70's and 80's there were darts and things flying back and forwards in the Anny Road End during these games. And the runway song was sung very loudly at Anfield.

I actually think it was the blueshite kicking off about the ban and stopping them becoming 'deserved' European Champions in 86 is where it turned nasty. While manchester united could still beat us regularly during the late 80's they were nowhere near the title they craved and it wasnt until 92 that they did.

But in those 6 or 7 years, the blueshite and them really went to town on this.

Manchester United beat us regularly throughout the late 70's and 1980's, but whilst they won the odd cup here and there, we won everything, collecting title after title and four European Cups. They fucking hated that. jimmy case is right, the runway song was sung very loudly at Anfield and it wasn't until Hillsborough that it stopped.

I saw a post in the Guardian comments asking of anybody would deem it acceptable if United drew PSG and sung about those who died in the Bataclan disaster, or if they drew either of the Madrid sides and sung about the Atocha bombings?

It would be widely criticised and they'd be held to task for it.

But, some United fans and some rival fans have dressed this up as of of those things that happens, it's part of the rivalry etc.

It's madness that people seem happy to make a distinction that tragic, premature deaths are an acceptable subject for "banter" (I fucking DESPISE that word) if they've happened around football, but largely wouldn't dream about singing songs about other non-football deaths.

We can't totally absolve ourselves of behaving like this, but it's just a really repulsive side of the game that sheer tribalism and hatred makes people act in such horrific ways that they probably wouldn't even dream of doing otherwise.

• Upvote 2

I remember being on the kop in the eighties (what a place!). Anyway the munich song was sung loudly by the majority (if not the whole) of the Kop back then. There was also "We all hate mancs...." to the damnbusters tune. The Munich song was loud. I remember one guy (there were probably more) with it written on his red-and-white bobble hat. I was only 15 and didn't know what it meant and was too embarrassed to ask in case it was a significant date in our history. It stopped right after Hillsborough. We had learnt an awful lesson and the collective social conscience of the Kop stopped it overnight. I hope the Mancs stop with their nonsense without having to learn it the hard way like us.

I don't mean offence by this post - especially if I got something a bit wrong - it's just the way I recall it - and it is a sensitive subject.

• Upvote 4

I had most of the game on mute cos I d a portuguese stream but when it went down I went to a bt one and the first thing I hear when I turned it up was them singing always the victim.

the reason it doesnt seem to be addressed is because they reckon we re both as bad as each other but thats a really shitty way of getting out of having to deal with it.

And, here come the nominees for best piece of fiction writing for 2016....

The opening paragraphs of a nice, balanced, unbiased, factually correct report from the MEN...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-united-condemn-supporters-offensive-11027076.

Manchester United condemn supporters for offensive chants about Hillsborough disaster.

The club spoke out following the chants at the Europa League tie at Anfield which also saw some Liverpool fans mock the Munich tragedy. Manchester United has condemned supporters who mocked Liverpool fans with chants about the Hillsborough disaster.

A number of the 2,000-plus United fans could be heard singing offensive songs about the 1989 disaster when 96 Liverpool fans died in a crush at an FA Cup semi-final between the Merseyside team and Nottingham Forest at Sheffield Wednesday’s Hillsborough stadium.

The chanting appeared to become wide-spread and could be heard on the TV coverage of the Europa League match during the second half.

United lost the Uefa Cup tie 2-0..

Some Liverpool fans were also heard singing offensive chants and making obscene gestures about the 1958 Munich air disaster in which eight United players and three club officials died.