You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"Luis Suarez - intentionally diabolical"

dave u

• 3 months later...
On 24/08/2020 at 16:58, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Anybody who doesn't think he'd come and score/assist 15-20 goals should give their head a wobble. If Klopp can put him in his place and tell him he gets the chance to finish his career winning a couple of titles/CLs with a great bunch of lads (including a fair few SAs he'd get along great with), then this is a no brainer. 

It will be Ajax or us. If he has that choice there is no way he doesnt choose us, even for less money and less playtime. He'll play for the best coach in the world and the best team for the world

16 goals and 2 assists in 17 games. But what the fuck do I know hey.

This isn't even a hindsight thing so it's incredible reading back some of the opposing opinions to this. The greatest striker of his generation (and potentially the best ever in the PL) and we could have picked him up for fuck all...but nah not worth it when you have Divock.

A lot of times the smart thing to do is not the obvious thing to do. Sometimes it fucking is.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Did he express a willingness to come back? We may have inquired and been given the "thanks but no thanks."

No chance. Had the PL stolen from his grasp, is in absolute love with the fans and likely fucking hates the mancs. Gets to come back into a title winning side which can conceivably win the PL and CL, storybook romance ending and finally gets that PL trophy. He's also a winner, so I doubt he would feel very threatened by Bobby given his poor showing for the last year or so.

What he has done to Atletico is remarkable. If we had him this season we are top of the table or neck and neck with city, even with the defensive injuries.

• Upvote 1

Just now, FrenchEyeGlass said:

No chance. Had the PL stolen from his grasp, is in absolute love with the fans and likely fucking hates the mancs. Gets to come back into a title winning side which can conceivably win the PL and CL, storybook romance ending and finally gets that PL trophy. He's also a winner, so I doubt he would feel very threatened by Bobby given his poor showing for the last year or so.

What he has done to Atletico is remarkable. If we had him this season we are top of the table or neck and neck with city, even with the defensive injuries.

I agree, no doubt in his quality even now. We may have been on the list of teams they would not allow him to go to as well. They have to be chafed there.

TBH could have had the second best Uruguayan striker of this century on a free as well.

On 24/08/2020 at 20:28, 3 Stacks said:

I didn't say Firmino is as good as Suarez was, I take exception to Firmino's contributions being downplayed in favour of a player who has been shite in Europe for almost half a decade.

And him beating up on La Liga and putting up numbers with one of the greatest of all time feeding him chances doesn't convince me. He was unstoppable up until about 2017. Since then, I don't want to hear about him being this great striker still. He's not.

He's still a great striker. Hope this helps. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

His salary is double that of divock, so I think you have the answer why he's not here. 

Even though we are discussing Div's worthlessness on the other thread a 5 mil transfer fee would be easy for him and cover it.

Truth is it is probably 4 times that, Barca probably had on us on the no chance list of teams they agreed on and Klopp might have said 

cat-smelling-gum-nope-do-not-want-136052

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Even though we are discussing Div's worthlessness on the other thread a 5 mil transfer fee would be easy for him and cover it.

Truth is it is probably 4 times that, Barca probably had on us on the no chance list of teams they agreed on and Klopp might have said 

cat-smelling-gum-nope-do-not-want-136052

I wouldn't have thought Barcelona would have blocked it. They were desperate to get him off the payroll and it's why he went where he did as they couldn't really prevent it once Suarez said that's where he wanted to go. 

It could be klopp didnt want him. I would be surprised at that to be honest. I could see FSG not wanting him for both wages and just because they didn't want him regardless of talent. Sky sports at the time said his contract was £5.5m for 2 years. Considering it looked like we had to loan out minamino to help fund the incomings in January, it would feel most likely to me money was the biggest obstacle. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I wouldn't have thought Barcelona would have blocked it. They were desperate to get him off the payroll and it's why he went where he did as they couldn't really prevent it once Suarez said that's where he wanted to go. 

At the beginning of the negotiations to let him out of the contract there were a couple "top" clubs eliminated.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

At the beginning of the negotiations to let him out of the contract there were a couple "top" clubs eliminated.

And atleti were supposedly one of them. Barca tried to block the mocez but ultimately couldn't because their desire to save his wages (I think he was on something mental like 450k euros). Suarez went where he wanted out of the club's that came in for him. We were clearly never in for him

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't know what that last sentence means. 

Atleti was not one of the teams they would not let him go to. Neither was Juve. 

If they didn't want him to go to Atleti, but caved in, that would suggest there was not another deal to be done with any other club. I find that hard to believe.