You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest LFD

When all is said and done, if they can't fund the purchases we need to recover, they need to sell up.

Exactly. Whatever people say about us commercially the figures show that we have one of the largest annual revenues in the country. I think its the third or fourth largest. If they can't work with that - by perhaps building a fucking stadium or something someday - then they should fuck off.

I don't want sugar daddies but I also don't want mediocrity accepting leeches. I haven't decided our owners are the latter but since they've come here all I've seen them do is try and exploit every drop of commercial wealth out of the club. Which is great - as long as it is duly reinvested.

How much have FSG given to transfers since they have arrived?

I'm not sure of the figures but it isn't to be sniffed at. Hey, i'm not saying that so far they haven't given enough. They have. But Rodgers was talking about looking forward and next summer I expect us to really try and push for fourth. That isn't going to happen unless we bring in one or two top top talents.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We don't have the resources of the top clubs".

Does this now mean, in the immortal words of Rafa, that we are a "small club".

To be fair, Rafa said this too - and I doubt anybody saw us as a small club then. But during Rafa's time it was true. Under him we spent around £20m net per year! That is absolutely fuck all. That is why I pissed myself laughing when people on here didn't appreciate that. Imagine how far we would get with that now? 1 Stewart Downing.

At that time we were serving a debt interest which was ridiculous. So our finances were ridiculous. Now we have no such debt and plentiful revenue streams which are all quite generous. I don't want us to spend needlessly or inappropriately but unfortunately to buy top players (and we need top players) we're going to have to...spend!

If Brendan thinks he can compete with the top teams by...not competing with the top teams (?) then he's mistaken. He may be a good coach but he isn't a messiah.

I don't get why you have to disparage everything he does or says, but that's up to you. However, does he honestly deserve no credit for improving Downing, Henderson and Enrique? Because he has. That's beyond question.

I dont think they have improved, they were on the same level last year.

They have obviously improved from Rodgers valuation of them in the first place, but thats got little to do with Rodgers coaching, more his acceptance that the players actually have something to contribute with.

Exactly. Whatever people say about us commercially the figures show that we have one of the largest annual revenues in the country. I think its the third or fourth largest. If they can't work with that - by perhaps building a fucking stadium or something someday - then they should fuck off.

I don't want sugar daddies but I also don't want mediocrity accepting leeches. I haven't decided our owners are the latter but since they've come here all I've seen them do is try and exploit every drop of commercial wealth out of the club. Which is great - as long as it is duly reinvested.

I'm not sure of the figures but it isn't to be sniffed at. Hey, i'm not saying that so far they haven't given enough. They have. But Rodgers was talking about looking forward and next summer I expect us to really try and push for fourth. That isn't going to happen unless we bring in one or two top top talents.

We've been saying that forever. How do you attract top talent?

A) Money.

Will we pay the biggest fees?

Will we offer the biggest wages?

B) CL football.

Will we finish in the top 4 this year?

C) Location.

Players may want to play in the capital.

Basically it will be difficult to attract top class talent because even if we are prepared to pay big fees and big wages the players may want to play in a CL team.

So we're going to have to either develop our own stars or scout some hidden talent. I simply don't see us going out and buying 'top class talent'.

"My job is to improve players in every aspect of their game and that is something we will look to do because we don't have the resources of the top clubs who are out there paying big money. We won't have that. So we have to find the difference through coaching."

What the fuck.

We have one of the largest annual revenues in the whole fucking country, so why in the fucking world don't we have "big money"?

If in the summer we don't spend a fair amount of money - wisely of course - then FSG can fuck off. Not that they will.

If you look at the clubs who are spending, without the two being bankrolled, then only United would outspend us - and still, they are also limited by a budget. Tottenham, are a selling club, Modric and VDF this year brought in almost £40m.

It is all relative - Moyes, Pulis like stating 'that's what £250m gets you' but it also gets you, high expectations, less patience and more accountability, Rodgers will ultimately be judged on his ability to win the league, if not this year then certainly within the next 3 years, something Moyes and Pulis will never be asked to do. In that context - we won't be able to compete with City, Chelsea and United, then our lack of money is more relative. We are not skint, nor are we poor, but in relation to those at the very top we don't have their resources.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
You can't be serious.

Code thinks all Kenny's signings were fine, bar a little too much for Downing. He thinks Carroll was going to outscore Suarez this year. If you disagree, you know nothing about football.

You can't be serious.

Enrique is the only one debatable as he was fantastic first half of last season then shite but has now seemingly regained his form before injury, Downing is still a bit shit but at least he actually tries to make things happen now and Henderson has been much better this season mainly due to being managed correctly

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think Henderson is playing the same as he was when he was in midfield last year' date=' downing has very recently improved parts of his game but still been mostly a fucking turd, Enrique has improved.[/quote']

I think that's fair. Aside from a few decent performances and one good performance, Downing is just as average as always. Henderson offers very little other than neatness. Enrique has kicked on.

I think the two most improved players have been Suarez (who many, despite my argument to the contrary, were saying couldn't finish and wouldn't be able to score big numbers) and Enrique.

However, in the interest of balance, Gerrard hasn't done well, and the midfield has been managed pretty strangely. Rodgers needs to sort that part out.

I think Henderson is playing the same as he was when he was in midfield last year.

I can't remember him playing in the centre at all last year apart from at home to Chelsea where he played very well, I'm sure he did a few other times but thats the only one I recall however having seen him play central for Sunderland and England U21s it was obvious thats where he should play

I can't remember him playing in the centre at all last year apart from at home to Chelsea where he played very well, I'm sure he did a few other times but thats the only one I recall however having seen him play central for Sunderland and England U21s it was obvious thats where he should play

Its really difficult to notice Henderson wherever he plays. I'm certain he utilizes the same camouflage technology as predator, appearing every now and then to pass the ball back from whence it came.

I dont get the 'Henderson was just as good in the middle last season line' that is somehow used to criticise Rodgers by some of those who are maintaining that Dalglish was doing ood last year. It's a criticism of Dalglish more than anything who persisted with him on the right wing last season when he was clearly struggling.

I dont think they have improved, they were on the same level last year.

They have obviously improved from Rodgers valuation of them in the first place, but thats got little to do with Rodgers coaching, more his acceptance that the players actually have something to contribute with.

Until they reach the levels they reached under the SFG/Steve Bruce, he'd be better taking a different approach to shameless self-promotion.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

"We have the resources to compete with anyone".

To be fair, we've spent a lot on players under FSG. If that's changed, and they won't back Rodgers in the same way the did in Kenny's first two windows, they'll have to go.

Posted this in MF, but probably more relevant here:

I hate all these comparisons between Dalglish and Rodgers.

One side trying to make one out to be better than the other. Stats being manipulated to ensure that happens.

I didn't want Dalglish gone, I thought he was unlucky last season (for various reasons), he also made some mistakes. But I think he deserved time to get it right, I like to see managers get time and Dalglish for what he has done for the club deserved it more than anyone.

But he went and I have moved on and now fully behind Rodgers. Let's just get fully behind him and hope he gets the time Dalglish should have got and he can get it right.

I'd love Dalglish back at the club as an ambassador, but that's because I think he should have a role at the club and has a lot he can offer. But let's stop these petty comparisons between Dalglish last season and Rodgers now.

Rodgers is our manager now and deserves our full support!

This thread is about Dalglish coming back to the club as an ambassador. Not how well he did last year, whether he should have got sacked or not or how he compares to Rodgers.

To be fair, we've spent a lot on players under FSG. If that's changed, and they won't back Rodgers in the same way the did in Kenny's first two windows, they'll have to go.

We don't really know where we stand at the minute. They first came in and you expect brand new owners to arrive with a bang, they did in a sense but it was mostly Torres money there's even doubts if we would of got Suarez if we didn't already know Torres was pretty much gone. Other windows has been money the club itself has generated, nothing wrong with that but the club they inherited was in a poor state. It's like housing, your house is a shit hole you won't get good rents you invest money into it to improve it and what rents you can ask for will increase. FSG seem to just be rearranging the furniture, covering the pillows with old curtains and hoping its enough to fool people. Harsh I don't think they are trying to fool people but I don't think they have any ambition for the club to win, they just want to see a steady interest on their investment.

Last January they totally fucked up and last summer they did too and there's been a culmination of other fuck ups along the way. I just don't know why they are here, its only the fact I know we could have far far worse owners that I just accept we are no longer going to be one of the top sides and just pray Rodgers actions back up his own self belief.

Nothing has changed. They've backed Rodgers to the same extent they did KK. Alas, there is no more of Rafa's family silver to hawk. So spending what you earn is a different proposition now when you can't raise 80m in sales.

FA Cup Final?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Apparently, you and your other 'log ins' fondle kids.

So it's told. Just sayin'

I've been trying to find evidence to refute this, but I couldn't.