You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Legal advice - employment law

Rico1304

I'm after a bit of advice from any legal eagle on the GF.

A friend of mine is a teacher in the north east and today has received an email from employers telling him that they've overpaid him and wanting the money back. It seems that they've paid him as if he was more qualified. They've sent him their policy on recovering overpayment which states they'll take back the cash over 9 months.

Now, here's the bit which I think stuffs them - his contract shows the higher figure. It's not as if there has been a mistake in payroll and he's had too much, they made an offer, he accepted it and has done the job.

To me the fact they put him on the wrong scale is an internal issue, he wouldn't have taken the job on the lower scale as he had other offers on the table.

What do you think?

Post it man.

I just don't think it will be funny any more, but...

My advice matey would be for you and your mate up North to dress up and stick their contract back to em. Ride into the school and shoot the fucker up. Blast it into the next century before ending your sad existence of your lives. Make sure you do this high on coke and leave a note.

See LF..

I just don't think it will be funny any more' date=' but...

My advice matey would be for you and your mate up North to dress up and stick their contract back to em. Ride into the school and shoot the fucker up. Blast it into the next century before ending your sad existence of your lives. Make sure you do this high on coke and leave a note.

See LF..[/quote']

Yeah, you were right. It wasn't funny.

If it is in his contract then his rep should create a case based on "estoppel". That is to stop any deduction of pay as he has evidence that he is being paid his entitled contractual amount. The supporting CV will aid this process.

Your mate must also tell the employer immediately that they do not agree that the deductions are acceptable or lawful, if they wish to chase up an unlawful deductation of salary case via a tribunal. Failure to do so leads to Qui tacet consentire videtur or silence is consent to the repayment.

Although it's in his contract, and esp in a structured pay scale industry like teaching, if they simply offered him a teaching job that would normally warrant (say) a pay scale 10, but accidentally put him on pay scale 11 (and put 11 in the contract), then the issue will basically come down to how reasonable it was for the teacher to 'know' it was a mistake.

If it's highly likely they knew it was a mistake, and kept quiet, then there's a good chance the LEA will win. If not, they could find in the teacher's favour.

Although it's in the contract - it's still possible that mistakes happen, and it can be 'unreasonable' to be held to ransom over the mistake... e.g. a company creates a contract for £10000 when it actually meant £100.00 (just missed the decimal point).

A court would simply take a view on what was 'reasonable' and the real intent of the contract, and the common understanding between the parties.

Basically, it's not necessarily clear cut, just because it's in the contract, but it's certainly helping the teacher's case, and not doing it any harm.

Although it's in his contract, and esp in a structured pay scale industry like teaching, if they simply offered him a teaching job that would normally warrant (say) a pay scale 10, but accidentally put him on pay scale 11 (and put 11 in the contract), then the issue will basically come down to how reasonable it was for the teacher to 'know' it was a mistake.

If it's highly likely they knew it was a mistake, and kept quiet, then there's a good chance the LEA will win. If not, they could find in the teacher's favour.

Although it's in the contract - it's still possible that mistakes happen, and it can be 'unreasonable' to be held to ransom over the mistake... e.g. a company creates a contract for £10000 when it actually meant £100.00 (just missed the decimal point).

A court would simply take a view on what was 'reasonable' and the real intent of the contract, and the common understanding between the parties.

Basically, it's not necessarily clear cut, just because it's in the contract, but it's certainly helping the teacher's case, and not doing it any harm.

Its about £1k for the first year and £3k for the second ( I think there was a pay rise for all teachers at that time) so certainly not unreasonable for him to think it was a true offer.

Thanks everyone for the info - I think his union is the best option but it's looking good for him.

I couldn't believe they did it by e-mail - pretty bad form.

In a large, devolved organisation I'm not surprised he was notified by email. I have some experience of this when several of us in our time were overpaid following 'Modernising Pay.'

In our case we were notified by letter sent to our home address, without any prior warning. Opening letters like that, when some were being told they had been overpaid by several thousand pounds, in isolation from others, was not a nice experience.

The advantage of email is that it provides a clear 'paper trail' for correspondence on the matter so no-one can distort what was said. Keep hold of everything!