You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wireless router

Guest San Don
Ours seems fucked, keeps being connected to the network but not the internet which requires a restart. Plugging the LAN cable in directly provides perfect service so I assume it's the belkin router is goosed.

Any ideas on what's causing the problem? Alternatively recommend me an affordable new one?

It could be a number of things, noise on the line, a filter gone faulty or a neighbour's wireless router using the same channel as yours and causing interference etc.

Are you getting any hiss and pops down the phone line when you make a call? If you can hear this, its noise on the line. New filters may help but IME, this tends to be a BT line fault (which they'll promptly say doesnt exist!).

I'd be inclined to try switching the wireless channel on your router and see if that makes an improvement. Give it a few days.

If that doesnt work, you might try swapping any filters you have for new ones although this obviously costs money as you should really buy new ones.

Try a new router last as this is the most expensive option and doesnt always give the best results. Can you borrow a working router from someone else to see if that works first?

Guest San Don
Whenever my router has played up I have rung my provider and told them I am going to cancel. After a bit of a discussion I get a new router and reduced line rental for the next 6 months.

Nice one!