You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This business of bringing on Carragher

RoyHodgeGone

I can understand him bringing him on to keep him match fit in case he's called upon. While I'd agree that bringing the younger lads through is best for the future, I'd prefer a fairly match fit Carra coming on as an emergency in a high profile game rather than the younger lads. We have a few tough games coming up and anything can happen that might need Carra being involved. I think it's the right thing to do.

This

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a mega legend. We're seeing the beginning of a new era for Liverpool football club, and unfortunately that means the old era is being gradually swept away. It'll be slower for some players than others - that's what happens in a transition - but Carra deserves whatever we can give him. A few appearances seems the least we can do. Hopefully we'll do the same with Gerrard when the time comes.

It must hurt him coming on so late though.... Future KFC manager right there deserves employment at KFC for life.

Are you a closet Liverpool fan? I've no animosity towards you at all but what is your fascination with a has been club? and more to the point why do you pay for the privilege of being on here? It's baffling to be honest.

It's just a football forum to me, the topic's Liverpool. Interesting topic, lots going on, half decent forum - not too big, not too small.

I do have a personal interest in Liverpool too, but that's another matter. It's not a business interest, or anything too intriguing. I watched them play many many times as a little lad, virtually every home game, but no, I'm not a 'fan'. I just like the club. Has been club? nah. You're simply going through what most clubs have been through many times - a poor period (and Liverpool's current hard times are nothing compared with some other clubs).

I take a wide view (I think) on football. If one of our two greatest clubs is having trouble then I think it's a warning sign for football in general.

As for paying to join the site? I just see it as a contribution to a decent cause. It's a good forum, why not give a bit of money to support it? Hardly matters what colour shirt you wear.

It's just a football forum to me, the topic's Liverpool. Interesting topic, lots going on, half decent forum - not too big, not too small.

I do have a personal interest in Liverpool too, but that's another matter. It's not a business interest, or anything too intriguing. I watched them play many many times as a little lad, virtually every home game, but no, I'm not a 'fan'. I just like the club. Has been club? nah. You're simply going through what most clubs have been through many times - a poor period (and Liverpool's current hard times are nothing compared with some other clubs).

I take a wide view (I think) on football. If one of our two greatest clubs is having trouble then I think it's a warning sign for football in general.

As for paying to join the site? I just see it as a contribution to a decent cause. It's a good forum, why not give a bit of money to support it? Hardly matters what colour shirt you wear.

I respect a lot of what you said there and my opinion of you has shifted . Although I reckon you supported us until the sheiks bought citeh ....

Fair enough, whatever floats your boat I suppose, like I say I have no problem with you at all. I'd take you up one point though, a team that hasn't won the title for nearly a quarter of a century really IS a has been; you can take that one to the bank.....and yet I have a feeling you know that. If you're taking the piss that's cool, but be in doubt that you're no more than lottery winners.

Fair enough, whatever floats your boat I suppose, like I say I have no problem with you at all. I'd take you up one point though, a team that hasn't won the title for nearly a quarter of a century really IS a has been; you can take that one to the bank.....and yet I have a feeling you know that. If you're taking the piss that's cool, but be in doubt that you're no more than lottery winners.

Well, it's about perspective isn't it?

You've been right at the very top... RIGHT at the top of the tree, so now, mid table feels like crap.

When you've watch the crap I've had to watch for nearly 30 years, I could say "what you moaning about, you won the CL recently and reached a final, and still been collecting trophies consistently?".

A number of things have colluded (in my opinion) to cause your plight, some of your own making, much of it not:

1) United having their golden era - which has spoiled the party for virtually everyone.

2) Sky / CL / Prem money coming during United's golden era (or helping it along)... meaning they've had serious financial / political / and brand clout - attracting some fantastic players and fantastic prices (but accepting they've helped themselves with that amazing youth team)

3) Heysel / European ban - totally cocked up Liverpool that. Set back English football in general, but (for me) was the catalyst for the end of Liverpool's reign.

4) 'New money' in the game... Blackburn, Leeds, Newcastle, Chelsea, and more recently City have upset the applecart over the years. Some for 2-3 seasons, some for longer, but they've barged their way into the top 4 and more often than not, Liverpool have suffered the most.

5) The 'lottery' of club ownership. Many clubs have been well and truly shafted with bad owners, most have had an up and down relationship with them, and a small number have done very well. United don't seem to have suffered, Chelsea won the lottery, City were up and down, then won the lottery, Arsenal did pretty well... Liverpool didn't do so well. Net result was that more clubs improved, and Liverpool stood still.

6) H+G took a fantastic club that had ALL the potential they spoke of when they arrived, and they essentially failed to deliver on so many promises. They probably cost Liverpool at least 5 years in 'stagnation / recovery', whilst other were progressing. And that seems to be where Liverpool still are... trying to recover with an ownership that's very difficult to get a feel for, and seemingly wary of investing too heavily after having their initial attempt with giving a manager money to spend.

If Liverpool had won nothing in 25 years, then fair enough, but they've won plenty of trophies in the last 25 years...

I honestly wish we'd have won that much! I just think it hurts that it's United winning so much, and then when someone else does win it, it's a new money club that've spent a fortune to win it.... with the exception of Arsenal.

Even I as a City fan sometimes forget how lucky I am... I've got Bury and Burnley fans near me... plus Oldham and Rochdale... and they say the same to me as I'm saying to you... "you don't know you're born!".

he's our closer.

Rodgers must have told him he'd play him as often as he could - early rounds of the cups, against teams like mansfield and also throws him on for games we're well ahead in.

he'll not catch callaghan but is he 2nd most appearances ever now?

some achievement from a player I wrote off as a token irish lad when he played in a preseason friendly at Dundalk 1996.

Can't beleive there is a thread or debate about this. Jamie is an absolute legend at this club and hopefully will stay on in a coaching capacity.

He wants to join the premiership '500' club and is only a few games away. Very few players get to play 500+ games in the premiership and BR is helping him achieve this goal. In doing so suggests that Cara will hang his boots up at the end of the season.

Have a look at how he put his body on the line in Istanbul and then ask yourself why you feel it necessary to be so fucking petty.

I can't help but imagine Bill Shankly commenting on such a situation with a player.

I could be wrong, but for me, I believe he'd say something witty like "We're showing him the respect he deserves by knowing when to call time on fantastic career. You don't let a great boxer carry on forever do you?"

I can see if a player was a couple of games short of some milestone, that a club might do the honourable thing and try and get him over that milestone, but no more than that.

Agree with this.

I dont object to the last 5 or 10 minutes at times but its taking away some experience for the likes of Coates to develop a relationship with his fellow team mates.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fa-cup-mansfield-vs-liverpool-1519826

Staying power: Carragher set to be offered new deal at Anfield

Liverpool are set to open talks with Jamie Carragher about a new contract.

Kop boss Brendan Rodgers has given the long-serving defender assurances he can play on at Anfield – even though he is now behind Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger in his pecking order. Carragher (above), 35 later this month, is expected to play at Mansfield today in the third round of the FA Cup.

He will be offered a one-year extension when his deal expires at the end of the season.

And Rodgers believes the former England international is capable of playing beyond his 36th birthday next January.

Rodgers said: “Jamie and I have had loose discussions. We spoke before Christmas and decided we’d have a chat in the New Year.

“But I want him to stay as a player because he still has a lot to offer. Jamie has been fantastic for me this season. We talk all the time about football and life in general.

“He is in great condition because he looks after himself. His body weight, body fat, mentality and intensity in training are all top class.

“It will be down to Jamie what he wants to do. But do I want him here? Of course I do.”

Brendan Rodgers battles to stop Jamie Carragher from retiring | Mail Online

Rodgers in battle to stop Liverpool idol Carragher from retiring

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has revealed he faces a struggle to prevent defender Jamie Carragher from hanging up his boots at the end of the season.

Carragher, 34, will captain Liverpool in the FA Cup third round today at Mansfield with Steven Gerrard rested and this could be his last cup run, having won the trophy in 2001 and 2006.

Rodgers wants Carragher to extend his contract before it ends in the summer but talks have been put on hold while the player considers his options.

Carragher, a proud one-club man, is frustrated at being kept out by Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger and could end his playing days elsewhere or retire to pursue a career in coaching or media.

'Jamie's contract is up and we've had loose discussions in terms of where he's at,' said Rodgers.

'It is largely down to him and how he's feeling.

'When you've played so long at the top level and been a key figure, and then don't have a period of playing so much, it gives you some thinking time, "Do I want to put my body through this every day and not have the games I'm used to?"

'You're in the firing line at the back. There is no hiding place for a centre-half. It is not an easy decision for him but do I want him here? Of course.'

Carragher, who made his Liverpool debut 16 years ago, has been a great help to the new manager.

'The will and desire of this guy is remarkable. I love every minute of working with him,' said Rodgers.

'It's not been easy for him, but he's from the old school, he has great values and ethics. He's an icon here. He's a wonderful example to any player, incredible.

'He's still in great condition, he looks after himself. He's a wonderful support to me. It [his contract] is a conversation he and I will have again.'

i have no doubts that carra will become liverpool manager in the futre he love,s football love,s the club and seems to have and extensive knowledge a good point by a poster is correct we need to keep experienced to help the club along i welcome this contract renweal but i think we will go looking for a another centre half in the summer that or else kelly will finally be given a chance their

I think Jamie has shown he's still capable of making a contribution, so I think he deserves an extension, obviously on reduced terms from his current contract. I do think it's strange that he's ahead of Coates in the pecking order, though, he's got so much potential and needs games to realise it.

I think Jamie has shown he's still capable of making a contribution, so I think he deserves an extension, obviously on reduced terms from his current contract. I do think it's strange that he's ahead of Coates in the pecking order, though, he's got so much potential and needs games to realise it.

I don't see it with Coates unfortunately. He is decent in the air but he makes far too many mistakes and unlike Skrtel, he doesn't have the pace to recover. He also gives away too many silly fouls. There aren't a lot of slow centre backs that make in the league, and to make it I think you have to be impeccable positionally and excellent tactically like Sami Hyypia. Even Sami had his days where, due to his lack of pace, got bullied by forwards like Drogba or Henry.

It's not really a meaningful record. Apples and oranges. You can't compare the two eras, Billy Liddell played 90 + minutes every game, no substitution back then. A 5 minute cameo at the end of the match can't equate with that. I'd rather consider it encouragement to stay with us and move into coaching or whatever