You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andre Wisdom - right back vs centre back?

RoyHodgeGone

I'm sure everyone else was really impressed with his composure last night, solid defending and general good use of the ball. Do we still think centre back is his final position. For all his quality he's not really the Glen Johnson style full back that Rogers seems to favour. He wasn't really tested in the air last night, but from memory I think he's pretty good. Still only 19 remember.

Loved Kelly when he first came through - has alot to deal with coming back - he will have played what, six months of competitive ball in two years. Don't buy into the loan thing - its never worked for us bar maybe Shelvey. He is also far from a youth player and has Wisdom and even Sama to deal with for that spot. Hope he can regain his form and his pace.

Much prefer him at right back and Johnson left back to Johnson right back and Downing left back. Hope he stays in the team until Enrique is fit.

Long term he's a centre back for me, but long term I see Kelly as a right back if he can get over his injuries. He's a different kind of full back to Johnson - more galloping to marauding - but he's really developed there over the last couple of years to the point where he looks natural.

Guest San Don

He hasnt been tested at CB in the PL so I dont really see how people can rate him for the position. I've seen a lot of his games for the reserves and I have to say I've been more impressed with him as a full back in the PL than a CB in the ressies.

Just my opinion though.

It's hard to know if Martin Kelly will play consistently for us when he does come back. But when he has played, he's been solid as cover for Johnson at right back. But Andre Wisdom hasn't done too badly there either, so it's a good problem to have. Can he a better centre half than a right back, though? Hard to know as we'd have to leave Skrtel on the bench in order to find out.

we really do have a class set of right backs, Kelly would play every game for almost every club in this league but Johnson is one of the best around so he is unlucky there, Wisdom has done excellent there this season and its still too early to write Flanagan off imo and he has shown he has the quality before

Long term I see Wisdom as a centre back but think Kelly will stick to being a right back

Loved Kelly when he first came through - has alot to deal with coming back - he will have played what, six months of competitive ball in two years. Don't buy into the loan thing - its never worked for us bar maybe Shelvey. He is also far from a youth player and has Wisdom and even Sama to deal with for that spot. Hope he can regain his form and his pace.

I think you may have got your wires crossed, Dave was saying Wisdom should go on loan when Kelly returns. He's dead right too, as promising as Wisdom looks he will still only be 3rd choice right back and 4th choice center back (at best) when all are fit and well.

Long term he looks a center back to me, strong and quick and quite assured on the ball. For the moment I would play him right back and switch Johnson. I'm not a fan of Johnson and Enrique both playing fullback, both attack at the same time far to often leaving the center backs badly exposed. A more naturally instinctive defensive player like Wisdom or Kelly provides more balance to the team. Nice to have such selection headaches.

The loan shout is a good one. He got caught in the first half for their two best/only chances, the second one he lost his man quite badly - a bit like Flanagan did with Larsson last season. He looks a good defender but also looks like he needs more schooling in being part of a back four. (The sort of thing 10 games with Sami or Carragher would give him.)

He hasnt been tested at CB in the PL so I dont really see how people can rate him for the position. I've seen a lot of his games for the reserves and I have to say I've been more impressed with him as a full back in the PL than a CB in the ressies.

Just my opinion though.

Sundays game at CB? With Carra. Just a thought

Long term centre back. For now, back up right back. And when Martin Kelly returns, he may be better off going on loan and playing centre half somewhere.

Yep.

Sundays game at CB? With Carra. Just a thought

I too wold like to see this, but I also think Coates wants to prove his worth and I would like to see him play also. I cant see those two playing CB together though as they are both young and need a strong partnership and someone to tell them were hey are going right or wrong. Tough call really.

I reckon CB will be his best position. Kelly is better going forward. They're both very good defensively.

It will suit him having space to his left and right at CB. He reads the game well and at 19 is a great prospect.

Unlike San Don I've been impressed watching him play CB for the reserves. Leads from the front. Easier standard of course

Good time for the young school coming through. Good for the club

Long term centre back. For now, back up right back. And when Martin Kelly returns, he may be better off going on loan and playing centre half somewhere.

Agree with that. I also see Kelly as centre half long-term though so it's at least good to have two quality players who can cover that position if needed.

Wisdom is going to be a colossus for LFC. An absolute beast of a player. He's brilliant already so much skill and pace and power for a big man. He'll be better than Sterling or any of our youngsters. He'll eventually move to CB as mentioned. He's built like a brick shit house.

really thought he would be exposed but had a good game. prevented a goal with that slight push on kagawa and made a great headed clearance in the second half

ultimately, i think his best position is at CB as I cant see him offering much going forward as a right back.

also, some of his tweets are hard to comprehend.

@andrewisdom47x

"Me n conor, deh pon a tommy lee ting ya si mi Gaza man crazy"

really thought he would be exposed but had a good game. prevented a goal with that slight push on kagawa and made a great headed clearance in the second half

ultimately, i think his best position is at CB as I cant see him offering much going forward as a right back.

also, some of his tweets are hard to comprehend.

@andrewisdom47x

"Me n conor, deh pon a tommy lee ting ya si mi Gaza man crazy"

Think he's talking about the action film set in the middle east him and Coady will be starring in.