You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My 5 old lad loves Batman.

Like, the most obsessive ever/.

I've spent the last 2 months making a 'Batmobile' that he can drive.

I can assure you that there were many times that I wished that I had never started. Anyway, here's the result. Thanks for looking.

Childrens Electric Batmobile - YouTube

You've set the bar very high there, mate. He's going to be really disappointed when the tardis you make him next Christmas doesn't actually travel in time

I've just realised something, you're pretty much encouraging your son to become Batman with this. Which in turn is going to encourage the loonies and mentals to claim back the night.

On your head be it when the streets are full of types like the Joker and Bane, mate. You've doomed us all.

any chance of a break down on how you made it?its fucking excellent. kids dont know how lucky they have it these days

a fucking working bat mobile. Im 31 and id drive it. Imagine being 5 and being able to knock into your mates and say, "want a lift?"

top skills lizard, i also gave you some man rep :thumbup:

About 18 months ago I bought an Urban X Go Kart on eBay for £28. It’s basically a kid’s electric go kart with a 24 volt motor, aimed for 8 year olds, so my lad who was nearly 4 at the time couldn’t reach the pedals. It was pretty shagged and horrible moulded plastic wheels, and was really juddery when you were on it.

This isn't the one - this is a brand new one. Mine was knackered.

kart.jpg

I have to explain that my lad is the most massive Batman fan. All he ever asks for Birthdays & Xmas is Batman stuff. And he saves his own pocket money to buy Imaginext Batman figures etc.

In about August he asked me if I could build him a Batmobile that he could drive. The wife said NO, I said YES. She threatened divorce. I bluffed. The last project was a JCB bed. And that story is too painful to recount.

So I started by stripping off everything of the Urban X, so there was basically nothing left about from the central chassis and the steering rack.

First I build a rough frame from a little sketch I did. I started at the back with the box that covers the motor and axle.

bat1.jpg

This originally had the on/off switch etc. Then I cut the panels out of MDF with a jig saw, and glued and tacked them onto the frame. I then cut the dashboard to fit what I ended up with and sprayed it silver. The switches on the dashboard do ‘engine’ or basically power to the motor, and the first one of the left lights the engine bay up with and orange glow – closest I could get to fire out of the back! – He asked me for fire!

bat2.jpg

All the cabling is routed down a plastic conduit down the side of the wooden frame. The motor was replaced with 36V /250 watt, and it was a bit of frigging to accommodate the extra battery, and a fair bit of wiring. I have electronics background but knew next to nothing about go kart motors and motor controllers. So I joined a couple of forums, asked questions, googled etc.

The wheels are just standard Go Kart racing wheels & tyres (£35 off eBay) but the centre hole was bigger than the axles and stub axles so I trawled the net trying to get 6 bearings with 12mm inner 35mm outer bores - £20 for 6 – (the driven wheel is fixed to the axle and is bearing-less)

The hardest bit was moving the accelerator & brake to the levers. The levers were £5 each from the local bike shop and the cables cut to length and ran through the hole in the bonnet. But it was a frig to connect them to the brake drum, and accelerator black box – it’s basically a spring loaded box that varies the voltage to the motor when you pull the lever.

The Perspex cover on the engine bay is ebay again, cut to size and then made a stencil out of card and sprayed the bat-sign – same for the yellow one on the front.

It lasts for about 40 mins on flat ground and will pull me. But I rarely get a go!

Thanks for all your comments & reps. The little fell is made up he's got 200 hits on youtube! Much appreciated

Edited by nastylizard

Thats brilliant mate but check the wheels they seem to be slanted over the weight.

There is some cambre on the wheels and you can adjust it with spacers

It more stable with some negative cambre on.

You have a look at the front of Lewis hamiltons car next time!

But seriously the axle is strong enough for me, so no worries pal.

There is some cambre on the wheels and you can adjust it with spacers

It more stable with some negative cambre on.

You have a look at the front of Lewis hamiltons car next time!

But seriously the axle is strong enough for me, so no worries pal.

Sorry just worried me a little i know its not highspeed or dangerous was just worrying about you hard work.