You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers In

Monster Masch

One problem with Downing was that a lot of his crosses never did anything. With Sturridge in the box along with Suarez (and maybe other players who join them both, seeing that we have a better chance for goals now.) things should hopefully improve. Obviously it worked yesterday, but I mean consistently.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Can't see crossing being a major part of out game in the coming seasons. Not Downing's type of crossing, anyway. I thought his assist yesterday was worthy of the word. It was superb, actually.

I didn't realise this but according to his passing stats, his Aston Villa numbers compared to Liverpool figures weren't all that different. Downing was crossing loads, but the chances he created weren't being converted. That was a problem for all attacking players last season - they weren't scoring. I still think he goes hiding, but I don't think I can look at his failures last season as completely of his own making. I don't believe we'll be able to sell him this transfer window, so we might as well play him. There's a chance Sturridge will convert more crosses into the box, like vs Norwich.

I have no problem at all Downing staying at Liverpool with the current form he is showing. Also, Downing having no (league) assists last season was an absolute joke as more than once he put the chance on an plate only for the attacker to fluff their lines. For example, Carroll's miss form literally 4 yards.

Can't see crossing being a major part of out game in the coming seasons. Not Downing's type of crossing, anyway. I thought his assist yesterday was worthy of the word. It was superb, actually.

Yeah it was a great ball that, with his right foot as well.

Nice pass by Henderson too.

Yeah, it's not like he's desperate to get new players in. Oh, wait...

But you're right, I don't like Downing starting. He's not very good. He does the odd good thing, but it can't be said that he's 'very good'. We need very good players. In fact, it should be a rule at a club like Liverpool that you must be a 'very good' player to hold down a starting position. That includes players I like as well as players I don't.

Well, based on the cost of the Allen purchase - it would appear that 15 million no longer buys anything except an average player.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Well, based on the cost of the Allen purchase - it would appear that 15 million no longer buys anything except an average player.

You've no real sense of perspective, nor understanding of a player.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think people are being extremely harsh on Allen. If Allen's first few months doesn't buy him a stay of execution then what does. Plus he was excellent second half v Manu was excellent as was his S'land sub appearance. He is 21 not 31.

I just don't get the desire to write him off. I mean, it's only a few having a pop at him, trying to make out that he hasn't played well at all in the last few months, but he has done so in patches.

When he was let off the leash against Sunderland, I thought he was superb. When he had attacking options ahead of him - quite important for a midfielder wanting to pass the ball forward - against United he was brilliant again.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him over the next 5-6 years.

I just don't get the desire to write him off. I mean, it's only a few having a pop at him, trying to make out that he hasn't played well at all in the last few months, but he has done so in patches.

When he was let off the leash against Sunderland, I thought he was superb. When he had attacking options ahead of him - quite important for a midfielder wanting to pass the ball forward - against United he was brilliant again.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him over the next 5-6 years.

You don't?

I'd have thought the desire to write him off is pretty obvious!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
You don't?

I know the reason behind it, I just don't understand the desire for it to happen. It's strange, I think.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I don't need statistics to tell me that Downing is a coward on the pitch.

Are you sure? I've got some right here.

His coward per game ratio is 0.94 to 1.

You don't?

I dont think that is fair. Im a big advocate of Brendan and I want him to do really well here. At the same time, I don't see how Allen ever merited a £15m figure.

The truth his, despite him playing well "in patches", we aren't in a position to have the luxury of buying players who play shite 70% of the time. Whether that changes as the season goes, we'll see. From everything I have seen of him though, he plays well when he is given all the time in the world and even then, I think we have different expectations of "well".

Allen was Brendan's comfort signing. And in the fee he paid perhaps he was blinded by his affinity for the player and Swansea. Had we spent that money (and the Sahin money) better we wouldn't be 7 points off the top 4 in my opinion.

Put it this way, the Allen money, plus the Sahin money (and the Assaidi money, if you want) would pretty much have gotten us Xabi Alonso last summer. In fact, £15m alone would probably have gotten him.

I dont think that is fair. Im a big advocate of Brendan and I want him to do really well here. At the same time, I don't see how Allen ever merited a £15m figure.

The truth his, despite him playing well "in patches", we aren't in a position to have the luxury of buying players who play shite 70% of the time. Whether that changes as the season goes, we'll see. From everything I have seen of him though, he plays well when he is given all the time in the world and even then, I think we have different expectations of "well".

Allen was Brendan's comfort signing. And in the fee he paid perhaps he was blinded by his affinity for the player and Swansea. Had we spent that money (and the Sahin money) better we wouldn't be 7 points off the top 4 in my opinion.

Put it this way, the Allen money, plus the Sahin money (and the Assaidi money, if you want) would pretty much have gotten us Xabi Alonso last summer. In fact, £15m would probably have gotten him.

I don't think so.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The truth his, despite him playing well "in patches", we aren't in a position to have the luxury of buying players who play shite 70% of the time.

I've come to appreciate you and your posts over the past while, but that's some buuuuullllsssshhiiiitttt, Mr. Han man. Plays shite 70% of the time? These things have a way of snowballing on this forum. One minute he has had a few games where he was exposed by the midfield, losing the ball in a position he shouldn't have been playing, the next he's off-form and needs a rest, now he's shit 70% of the time.

He's not shit, he's a footballer who plays a certain role in a team and is capable of doing it very well. As the team grows, his importance to it will increase massively.

As for Rodgers I fucking love him, Have backed him and believed in him from the get go, I listened to martinez get interviewed yesterday and shuddered at the thought of him managing us. I've absolutely no question that as I i've already stated getting Rodgers was a massive coup, a manager with his vision and passion for the game. I'm not saying we're going to be challenging for the title next season, it may take three, four but I do know that we're going to see some fantastic football along the way. I think we'll finish in the top six this season and I'll be more than happy with that.