You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers In

Monster Masch

No, he was sacked for underachieving massively in the league. I dont think anybody, even posters like Neil G could disagree that he underachieved in the league. Saying otherwise is absurd.

He under achieved in the second half of the season yes - but didn't that just show up how weak the squad really was, even after the investment under Comolli? We definately missed a consistant in form Lucas, and then capitulated after the loss to Arsenal at home, when everyone agreed, we played them off the park. They were the dominant turning points. After that, it was heads down, lets not bother - the team collectively went on strike, like kiddies who were told the candy had run out. Sure, you can blame Dalglish for that - I would have defied any manager to turn that around successfully - we've seen Arsenal's seasons implode several times in the last decade, but Wenger wasn't the sacrificial lamb.

Fan's on this forum have suggested we were lucky to win the Carling Cup final, but cup competitions are very hit and miss affairs - minnows far excel, and punch above their weight - we've seen it so much in the history of both domestic cups - it's the nature of the beast. As for the F.A. Cup final, we were so close to a famous comeback it wasn't funny - once again it was the guy nobody wanted who spearheaded that comeback with one excellent finish, an attitude to boot and very nearly an equaliser that would have had every Liverpool fan leaping for the stars.

We look back on that 2005 CL final, as if we were the best team on the pitch that night. We weren't. We were outplayed for all of it except about 8-10 minutes, followed by dogged determination not to let the gains of those three goals mean nothing - and we pulled it off. That's what it means to wear a Liverpool shirt; how much players attitudes have changed in just 7 short years.

No, he was sacked for underachieving massively in the league. I dont think anybody, even posters like Neil G could disagree that he underachieved in the league. Saying otherwise is absurd.

See this is the logic I struggle with.

1. Appearantly we had a shite sqaud last year as Kenny only brought in shite.

2. Its a fact Gerrard and Lucas only started 12 games each and Suraez only scored 2 goals in 17 games after the racism accusation came up.

3. Kenny massively underachieved in the league.

Then come summer, bring a new manager in and give him more money to improve the squad.

1. Our squad should easily be better, if not why is that?

2. Gerrard has been fit all season, Suarez is scoring like he did before the racism case, Lucas been out though.

3. Rodgers is doing okay.

Seeing as we are behind Kenny in the league with fit key players, no racism issues and a new £40M+ investment in the squad, can someone please talk me through this again as I obviously must be missing something here.

To of given Kenny another season meant giving him more money and i just dont see how anyone could of expected FSG to give Kenny more money to most likely piss up the wall.

Once they realised how terribly wrong it had gone theres just no way they were ever giving Kenny anymore money meaning he was gone, this was so bloody obvious at around halfway through the season in January when they wouldn't give him any cash to get a DM and whoever else Kenny might of wanted.

Seriously anyone would be mental just to say 'here you go have another go, heres 40 mill' after the money that evaporated into thin air almost instantly before.

Edited by DooooodekNo5

Guest Numero Veinticinco

A player's head space plays a massive role in his playing career. Carroll was coming good in terms of confidence and performance prior to being told he wasn't wanted. Imagine what it does to a player to be told to fuck off. He wanted to STAY. As for the 'system' I've seen nothing this season to suggest he wouldn't have fitted in and partnered Luis - as it is' date=' all those crosses of Johnson Enrique and Downing were just fired into no man's land.[/quote']

He can't keep up with play, which is why all his goals last season came from when he was already up there for a set-piece.

Crosses, the number of which will slowly go down, don't matter a shit when you're on the halfway line. You're as mental as those saying he'd score more for West Ham than Suarez for us. It's a bizarre comment, clouded by your love for Kenny.

He can't keep up with play, which is why all his goals last season came from when he was already up there for a set-piece.

Crosses, the number of which will slowly go down, don't matter a shit when you're on the halfway line. You're as mental as those saying he'd score more for West Ham than Suarez for us. It's a bizarre comment, clouded by your love for Kenny.

No no no -pragmatist me. Always take a detached point of view, which is why I usually give a balanced appraisal.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
No no no -pragmatist me. Always take a detached point of view, which is why I usually give a balanced appraisal.

And so humble.

No no no -pragmatist me. Always take a detached point of view' date=' which is why I usually give a balanced appraisal.[/quote']

With all due respect, which isn't much, you haven't got a fucking clue about football. Please see below;

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/108779-case-andy-carroll-defensive-midfielder.html

Guest Numero Veinticinco
With all due respect, which isn't much, you haven't got a fucking clue about football. Please see below;

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/108779-case-andy-carroll-defensive-midfielder.html

For a brief moment I thought I might link to his post about Suarez being too lazy and being the problem with the team. But it'd be graceless, you hammered him there. No need for another blow.

"It's the punch Ali never gave Forman as he was going down".

I dont feel the following points lack objectivity:

1. He has spent a reasonable amount of money with little if any impact so far

2. The team is performing worse defensively than under Dalglish

3. The team has performed consistently worse against the better teams than under Dalglish

4. There is no obvious areas of improvement other than perhaps we are prettier to watch but that is not translating into improved performance by any stretch

5. He has achieved little as a manager prior to coming to Liverpool that could be taken as credible evidence that he is a top class manager

6. The most important job at the club is that of the manager

7. A club of our stature should have a manager that has proven credentials and not one that is learning his trade

I dont dislike rodgers

My agenda is to expose the real problem - the owners lack of understanding of football and/or their failure to urgently invest in the club in a serious way which means that no creidble manager would want the job -we get second class managers who are looking to build a career rather than proven one's who have the know-how to begin seriously addressing the clubs continuing slide down the toilet

I'm done with this buddy

There are none so blind as those who will not see

It's actually very difficult to argue with any of that....

Whilst you can criticise Rodger's spending (and I have), you have to place it into context.

Has our team improved much? No. But we have to consider that we lost Kuyt, Maxi, Bellamy and Carroll and didn't get any of that money to reinvest. To add to that, Borini (even though there are doubts about him) has only played 5 games and has been injured for the most of the season. In Sturridge, the return of Borini and possibly Coutinho/Sneijder we will get our first understanding of Brendan's attacking vision.

To contrast that, though, the £15m he spent on Allen was fucking atrocious and as bad as the Downing and Henderson signings the summer previous. Allen should never have been bought, never mind for £15m. Similarly, the £3m+ we've spent on Assaidi seems to have gone down the drain, because the manager clearly doesn't rate him...which is odd.

When its all said and done though, hes spent £42m (and potentially £50m+ if these other signings come off) so this second half of the season and next year he has absolutely no fucking excuses. I'm not particularly convinced by Borini and I think Allen is a waste of space, whilst I feel Sturridge is a top class signing who will prove as much. Lets see how it plays out.

2. Its a fact Gerrard and Lucas only started 12 games each and Suraez only scored 2 goals in 17 games after the racism accusation came up.

Then come summer, bring a new manager in and give him more money to improve the squad.

2. Gerrard has been fit all season, Suarez is scoring like he did before the racism case, Lucas been out though.

Seeing as we are behind Kenny in the league with fit key players, no racism issues and a new £40M+ investment in the squad, can someone please talk me through this again as I obviously must be missing something here.

He underachieved for the money that was spent. Rodgers may have had £40m investment but Dalglish had twice that and a little bit more and still finished 8th. When Rodgers can spend £70m on forward players then I think its unfair to judge him on what Dalglish was judged on.

The £3m on Assaidi had the potential to be a really good signing. Cheap, slightly inconsistent, tricky, direct, winger. Probably wouldn't have started him all that often, but a good option for the last 20 minutes of games to run at tired defences.

Then we decided not to play him anymore. Its ok though because we've got an 18 year old, and Stewart Downing.

To contrast that, though, the £15m he spent on Allen was fucking atrocious and as bad as the Downing and Henderson signings the summer previous.

Come on, man. The comparisons with Henderson I can just about accept but as bad as Downing? Allen has a long way to go before he displays any sort of the shithouse performances Downing has put in over the past 18 months. He never hides. Unlike Downing and Henderson to an extent.

He underachieved for the money that was spent. Rodgers may have had £40m investment but Dalglish had twice that and a little bit more and still finished 8th. When Rodgers can spend £70m on forward players then I think its unfair to judge him on what Dalglish was judged on.

So the money Kenny spent just disappeared like smoke in the air then, how about trying to build on it?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
So the money Kenny spent just disappeared like smoke in the air then, how about trying to build on it?

Because they weren't good enough. Hope this helps.

If you cannot see the difference between Kenny 2011 and Rodgers 2012 in terms of transfers and the difference that can make in the league, the there no helping you.

But then, you being you, nothing surprises me.

Come on, man. The comparisons with Henderson I can just about accept but as bad as Downing? Allen has a long way to go before he displays any sort of the shithouse performances Downing has put in over the past 18 months. He never hides. Unlike Downing and Henderson to an extent.

On a shitehouse scale he is nowhere near Downing and that is not the comparison I was making. I was talking about effectivity, and in truth, he has been as competent a central midfielder as Downing was a winger last year.