You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers In

Monster Masch

Wow. I think you need to read that back to yourself. He's an 18 year old lad, he's gonna have his good days and his bad days.

I'm all for sticking up for the kids, but he's no longer a kid. The second he acted the wanker and got that rediculous contract, he waived all rights to be treated like Suso or Coady, for example.

Have you actually seen him get past a man in this division?

I'm all for sticking up for the kids' date=' but he's no longer a kid. The second he acted the wanker and got that rediculous contract, he waived all rights to be treated like Suso or Coady, for example.

Have you actually seen him get past a man in this division?[/quote']

Yes, yes I have.

I'm all for sticking up for the kids, but he's no longer a kid. The second he acted the wanker and got that rediculous contract, he waived all rights to be treated like Suso or Coady, for example.

Have you actually seen him get past a man in this division?

Watch his highlights v Sunderland away , he was causing their defence and mainly Rose all sorts of grief running at them.

To me hes looked confused and lost out there for the last 8 , 9 , 10 games leading to him being utterly dreadful.

I've been going on about this for a quite a while , laughably even getting accused of talking shit by the odd clueless bellend.

Its my main gripe at Rodgers , hes simply not getting the best out of him / using him properly , im not expecting him to be Messi-esqe but what i do expect is to see him using his main assets going at his full back and stretching defences , looking to get to the byline or cut inside and make things happen , none of this ever happens bar the odd rare occaision although earlier in the season it was a bit more common.

For whatever reason we never look to get him isolated with the full back and even when he does find himself in that position hes hesitant about what to do and ends up playing the safe option Downing style , hes infield way to much when he collects the ball where its obviously more congested , and a lot of the time with his back to goal when he recieves the ball , seriously what good is that to a skillful speed merchant who is naturally direct ?

Hate to say it but if we was at the mancs Ferguson would have him playing as he should be playing , out wide and direct , he also has a good cross on him that we have seen early on in the season but rarely anymore.

It was telling in that documentary , think it was at half time against City ? when Rodgers told him to cut out all the dancing shit ( presume he meant stepovers ) or else , that was bullshit , Sterling isn't shit his form is poor but for me its because hes confused/lost and not being allowed to express himself and play his natural game.

Think some people might be getting a bit hysterical. He's 18, first season in the Prem. He scored against Sunderland like 2 games ago but agree performances have dropped off somewhat in last month and a half. We've carried on playing him because we've had to, there were no fit alternatives. Now Sturridge and Borini are here and fit, the burden can be removed from his shoulders, and he can have a bit of a break.

Also start of the season he was an unknown quantity at this level. Last 2 months teams, recognising he's one of our biggest threats after Suarez, have been doubling up on him. United did it yesterday. Which is why Downing pissed me off so much yesterday, as he was afforded time and space and he did fuck all with it.

Like Rodgers and have some sympathy with his position on various levels, but this "we aren't 24 points behind United in terms of quality" line isn't helping anyone.

Fair enough take and accentuate the positives, but progress will come from ruthlessly analysing the negatives and being realistic about them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Like Rodgers and have some sympathy with his position on various levels' date=' but this "we aren't 24 points behind United in terms of quality" line isn't helping anyone.

Fair enough take and accentuate the positives, but progress will come from ruthlessly analysing the negatives and being realistic about them.[/quote']

He has, he just put them into context.

He has, he just put them into context.

If you're 24 points behind a team in the league then you're 24 points worse than them. Fair enough he's calling it squad depth not quality, but several of what one would assume are his first-choice players were meekly pushed aside yesterday. The other option is it's on him, which I mostly don't think as there are certainly good reasons why we're struggling.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If you're 24 points behind a team in the league then you're 24 points worse than them. Fair enough he's calling it squad depth not quality' date=' but several of what one would assume are his first-choice players were meekly pushed aside yesterday. The other option is it's on him, which I mostly don't think as there are certainly good reasons why we're struggling.[/quote']

They're a significantly better team than us, and have added to a stable team year on year for 20 years. When you take over a side which has been so far off the top spot for season after season after season, it'll take time.

If Rodgers had taken over the side which finished two draws off the title in 2009, we'd have every right to bitch that we're so far behind united, but he overtook a side so far off United its not even funny.

With Sturridge joining and Borini back, we are looking a bit sharper up front, but it'll take us time to get where he wants to go.

Since the beginning of December, were one of thr top performing sides in the league, but we still need more quality through the squad. When he gets that, we'll improve again.

We've been playing most of this season with leftovers. It's hard to cook up something gourmet with scraps.

Going to say something controversial here..... Should you not pick your strongest squad' date=' play those players in their best positions, and play to the teams strengths ???

Or has football moved on[/quote']

Depends on the long game. Looking short term hasn't done us many favours lately.

I agree with Hank. People need to chill the fuck out. Losing to United at Old Trafford has never and will never be the mark of our team. Give the bloke some time.

Apart from a few select extra spicy halfwits nobody is frothing at the piss slit because we lost at Old Trafford. However, the manner of our defeat, team selection, and approach to the game are grounds for valid criticism, and "Yeah, but we didn't get to buy Zinedine Messinaldo" isn't a valid defence.

We were fucking pathetic in the first half.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Apart from a few select extra spicy halfwits nobody is frothing at the piss slit because we lost at Old Trafford. However, the manner of our defeat, team selection, and approach to the game are grounds for valid criticism

They are valid criticisms, but only if it's accepted that the physical state of the players and the lack of quality options.

"Yeah, but we didn't get to buy Zinedine Messinaldo" isn't a valid defence.

Why not? Why isn't having as many good players in the squad or first team a valid defence?

Apart from a few select extra spicy halfwits nobody is frothing at the piss slit because we lost at Old Trafford. However, the manner of our defeat, team selection, and approach to the game are grounds for valid criticism, and "Yeah, but we didn't get to buy Zinedine Messinaldo" isn't a valid defence.

We were fucking pathetic in the first half.

Midtable teams that go to Old Trafford generally get outplayed for large periods of the game and it makes the manner of the performance look worse than it is. That's what happened yesterday. It wasnt a surprise and it will probably happen to us at Eastlands in 3 weeks. It's where we are at the moment.

They are valid criticisms, but only if it's accepted that the physical state of the players and the lack of quality options.

Why not? Why isn't having as many good players in the squad or first team a valid defence?

Midtable teams that go to Old Trafford generally get outplayed for large periods of the game and it makes the manner of the performance look worse than it is. That's what happened yesterday. It wasnt a surprise and it will probably happen to us at Eastlands in 3 weeks. It's where we are at the moment.

We have a good enough squad for that first half performance to be completely unacceptable. Infact, we've shown as much in a few games.

We managed to compete against plenty of big teams last season with some players that quite a lot of this forum, me included, think are shite.

They're a significantly better team than us' date=' and have added to a stable team year on year for 20 years. When you take over a side which has been so far off the top spot for season after season after season, it'll take time.

If Rodgers had taken over the side which finished two draws off the title in 2009, we'd have every right to bitch that we're so far behind united, but he overtook a side so far off United its not even funny.

With Sturridge joining and Borini back, we are looking a bit sharper up front, but it'll take us time to get where he wants to go.

Since the beginning of December, were one of thr top performing sides in the league, but we still need more quality through the squad. When he gets that, we'll improve again.

We've been playing most of this season with leftovers. It's hard to cook up something gourmet with scraps.[/quote']

Yes, I couldn't agree more - that's the crux of my point. These are all examples of why we are indeed * currently * as far behind them in quality as 24 points suggests, with valid historical reasons..

I'm not expecting any different this soon, don't think we'll be this far behind them in even a year, and don't judge our managers - with the exception of The Owl - until their second season. I also believe in Rodgers, but think the odd note of balanced caution isn't a bad thing, especially with a few things he says.

Either way, just a differing view on the words he used rather than me needing it explained to me why we are where we are, I've written a few posts on that myself. I see you enjoyed his recent food analogy.

We have a good enough squad for that first half performance to be completely unacceptable. Infact, we've shown as much in a few games.

We managed to compete against plenty of big teams last season with some players that quite a lot of this forum, me included, think are shite.

I could twist that and say we couldnt put shite teams to the sword at home and away last season which we've done quite a bit since November. I dont think last season is comparable in anyway shape or form.

Our team was good enough to compete with them but what I'm saying is because they are so good and so far ahead of us it's not something I'd call unacceptable because you wouldnt expect us to compete with them.

Think some people might be getting a bit hysterical. He's 18, first season in the Prem. He scored against Sunderland like 2 games ago but agree performances have dropped off somewhat in last month and a half. We've carried on playing him because we've had to, there were no fit alternatives. Now Sturridge and Borini are here and fit, the burden can be removed from his shoulders, and he can have a bit of a break.

Also start of the season he was an unknown quantity at this level. Last 2 months teams, recognising he's one of our biggest threats after Suarez, have been doubling up on him. United did it yesterday. Which is why Downing pissed me off so much yesterday, as he was afforded time and space and he did fuck all with it.

Well put.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We have a good enough squad for that first half performance to be completely unacceptable.

I agree we were poor in the first half. It happens. They're a good team and controlled the first half. It happens to good teams and bad. Hell, it happened to United and City at Anfield; they had good enough squad for their performances to be unacceptable, but we got it right and they got it wrong (although, United's attack was, once again, razor sharp).

The boot was on the other foot for those 45 minutes in the first half. They controlled it, plus they had a sharper attack. We got two players on who are working their way up to match fitness, which is why things changed a bit more in the second half. Allen certainly stepped up in the second half, but was poor in the first. Same with Gerrard.

It just happens, I don't think it's a massive indicator of anything.

I could twist that and say we couldnt put shite teams to the sword at home and away last season which we've done quite a bit since November.

Good shout, something he's not given even-handed praise for by those who criticise everything about him. Yes, we theoretically should beat the lesser lights in the league. How many times in the past ten years have we failed to though.

I could twist that and say we couldnt put shite teams to the sword at home and away last season which we've done quite a bit since November. I dont think last season is comparable in anyway shape or form.

Our team was good enough to compete with them but what I'm saying is because they are so good and so far ahead of us it's not something I'd call unacceptable because you wouldnt expect us to compete with them.

You could do, but it would be completely irrelevant to the discussion. I'm not making a defence of Dalglish. I really don't give a fuck about any of the tedious agenda driven bullshit on here based almost entirely on which manager you prefer, be it Dalglish, Benitez, or Rodgers.

But last season absolutely is comparable, it was last season. Quite a lot of the squad we had last season we still do.

I accept us not scoring as many goals as them, they have much better attacking options. But the main difference between the sides is mentality. I expect us to compete with them. Not over the course of a season, but in an individual match.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We did. They were better first half, we were better second half. In no small part to having our better attacking players on the pitch. Long term, when they're fit, that's a good sign.

But you said Allen is better than Carrick Robbie, so what happened yesterday I'm confused ;)