You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Not boozing

Rico1304

Been off the ale for about 3 months now and will stay off it throughout marathon training.

Might even stay off it after that as just not arsed about not drinking - it is in my view just a  habit and one that we don't really know why we do it.

We just do it because it has just always been the norm ever since we first started going out to the ale house with our mates....go the match - drink.....play in a snooker team or darts team - drink.....sunday league footy - drink after....Insert name of social event/ocassion - drink.

Apart from water obviously as body needs it to survive, our bodies are not made for and don't need 8-10 pints of liquid (and often gassy shite at that) forcing down them every Friday/Saturday or Sunday afternoon or whatever.

I suppose the other side of coin is sitting enjoying a whisky by the fire or something or a nice glass of fine wine with a cheeseboard or something.....that is a different story i suppose.

I have also seen through not drinking just how much it can and does change how people act (and i am 100% sure i when i drink am very much affected)......i went loads of games including all the finals at back end of last season and didn't drink - the two lads i went with did and whilst both are sound lads and don't act up - the change in both once they were well into a few was quite marked - as they are decent lads there was nothing too bad, but there was a marked change that to me being stone cold sober was frankly irritating (miserable bastard me i know)....but i could see in them how i have behaved when i have been full of ale and i am more prone than either of them to being a bit of a prick when bladdered.

Ultimately is each to their own and there is of course nothing wrong with enjoying a bevvy or two if you want, and i know like an ex smoker there is nothing worse than a 'reformed' drinker giving it the big one about not drinking!

Even writing this i worry that is me....so i'll wrap up by saying i feel better not drinking and feel like not drinking is right for me right now....But that is just me and what i feel works for me!

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Been off the ale for about 3 months now and will stay off it throughout marathon training.

Might even stay off it after that as just not arsed about not drinking - it is in my view just a  habit and one that we don't really know why we do it.

We just do it because it has just always been the norm ever since we first started going out to the ale house with our mates....go the match - drink.....play in a snooker team or darts team - drink.....sunday league footy - drink after....Insert name of social event/ocassion - drink.

Apart from water obviously as body needs it to survive, our bodies are not made for and don't need 8-10 pints of liquid (and often gassy shite at that) forcing down them every Friday/Saturday or Sunday afternoon or whatever.

I suppose the other side of coin is sitting enjoying a whisky by the fire or something or a nice glass of fine wine with a cheeseboard or something.....that is a different story i suppose.

I have also seen through not drinking just how much it can and does change how people act (and i am 100% sure i when i drink am very much affected)......i went loads of games including all the finals at back end of last season and didn't drink - the two lads i went with did and whilst both are sound lads and don't act up - the change in both once they were well into a few was quite marked - as they are decent lads there was nothing too bad, but there was a marked change that to me being stone cold sober was frankly irritating (miserable bastard me i know)....but i could see in them how i have behaved when i have been full of ale and i am more prone than either of them to being a bit of a prick when bladdered.

Ultimately is each to their own and there is of course nothing wrong with enjoying a bevvy or two if you want, and i know like an ex smoker there is nothing worse than a 'reformed' drinker giving it the big one about not drinking!

Even writing this i worry that is me....so i'll wrap up by saying i feel better not drinking and feel like not drinking is right for me right now....But that is just me and what i feel works for me!

When I don’t booze I can’t go out with my mates as they annoy the fuck out of me. 

30 minutes ago, an tha said:

It is a big challenge - bigger than i realised!

I went out to my local with a load of my best mates when I stopped drinking for a bit in 2010.

Never again. They weren't being twats or anything but the whole experience was just horrendous.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Reading through the thread you have ditched those mates and are still holding the bottle?

All my mates drink.

If I stopped drinking, it would be once in a blue moon I saw any mates.  My problem is I don't know when to stop & don't have my wife & kids around now to keep me out of the offy/pub.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

All my mates drink.

If I stopped drinking, it would be once in a blue moon I saw any mates.  My problem is I don't know when to stop & don't have my wife & kids around now to keep me out of the offy/pub.

Whoa, have I missed something Mark? Hope I'm getting the wrong end of the stick mate.

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Whoa, have I missed something Mark? Hope I'm getting the wrong end of the stick mate.

No mate, I split up with the missus & moved out two months ago.

The kids seem to be ok with the new set up, which is the main thing & I see them at weekends.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Sorry to hear that mate, I had no idea.

Hope it works out best for you all.

Thanks CD.

Things are ok, it our wedding anniversary today & I'm still rough from the weekend so probably being a bit melodramatic about the drinking.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

I agree with all of that. I do need to knock it on the head, I don't suffer hangovers as such just a regretful feeling and and anither unfulfilled promise to myself that I should just stop. I never do though, just all too easy to carry on isn't it.

I’m only on my second week of not drinking after decades of drinking too much so I’m in the boring evangelical stage. Hopefully this phase stops soon. Other people like @Skidfingers McGonical are doing brilliantly seemingly without the need to post about it. 

I've been trying to cut down rather than stop outright, which is the ultimate aim. It used to be Friday/Saturday/Sunday pretty solid drinking, and when I was working in Ireland a few in Dublin airport on the way back on the Thursday so that was 4 days on it, which is too much. Not working away so Thursday is gone, I've weaned myself off the Friday over time, leaving Saturday and Sunday. I went out last Monday to see a gig and have a few drinks, so I will forfeit Saturday for that, leaving Sunday this weekend, longer term aim is to see off the Saturday and keep Sunday. I tend to make a good job of it when I drink, so once a week is the next short term goal. 

On 28/06/2022 at 18:21, manwiththestick said:

I agree with all of that. I do need to knock it on the head, I don't suffer hangovers as such just a regretful feeling and and anither unfulfilled promise to myself that I should just stop. I never do though, just all too easy to carry on isn't it.

I’m only on my second week of not drinking after decades of drinking too much so I’m in the evangelical stage. Hopefully this phase stops soon. Other people like @Skidfingers McGonical are doing brilliantly without the need to post about it. 

On 28/06/2022 at 16:28, Captain Willard said:

I’m only on my second week of not drinking after decades of drinking too much so I’m in the boring evangelical stage. Hopefully this phase stops soon. Other people like @Skidfingers McGonical are doing brilliantly seemingly without the need to post about it. 

7 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I’m only on my second week of not drinking after decades of drinking too much so I’m in the evangelical stage. Hopefully this phase stops soon. Other people like @Skidfingers McGonical are doing brilliantly without the need to post about it. 

@Captain Willard - just off a three day bender?