You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Not boozing

Rico1304

5 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

80 days into 100 being alcohol free.

Got an all day BBQ at friends on day 95. Gonna be a big challenge. 

Brilliant. Keep going. You’ll be fine. I stayed sober through a tea party with dull people but bottomless champagne so a bbq with your mates should be ok. 

I've been hitting it hard, spent 9hrs on Sunday spewing up stomach acid & I'm still rough now. Feels like I've been poisoned & beaten up.

I have a stag do a week on Saturday, that'll be the next time I drink & I'll be taking it fucking easy.

20 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I went just over 100 from the start of the year as I felt so toxic after Christmas. Felt good, but I did hit it hard towards the end of the season with all the crunch games and finals. I can take it or leave it, but tend to binge, which I really need to stop.

29 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Was 100 the aim or are you planning to get to that then go for longer? 

Either way you've done a fucking good job and you should be proud. I wouldn't be harsh on yourself if you have a few with mates at your BBQ especially given ones been away 8 years. I'd see that as a fair target as opposed to 100 days. You've more than earned it. 

18 minutes ago, Mook said:

I've been hitting it hard, spent 9hrs on Sunday spewing up stomach acid & I'm still rough now. Feels like I've been poisoned & beaten up.

I have a stag do a week on Saturday, that'll be the next time I drink & I'll be taking it fucking easy.

Stop being so popular,it's too expensive!

Booze has been a contributory factor to some of the best times of my life. It’s also undoubtedly played its part in some of the worst, both directly and indirectly. 

Perhaps without it I wouldn’t have had as many highs but, on the whole, I think life would have been better. 

All the best to those doing whatever they can to improve their relationship with the demon drink. Whether that’s stopping completely, abstaining for a period, or just moderating intake. It’s a positive step. 

6 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Booze has been a contributory factor to some of the best times of my life. It’s also undoubtedly played its part in some of the worst, both directly and indirectly. 

This.

Littletedwest hit the nail on the head that the craving always makes you think you're going to have a boss time. I fell into the trap of drinking from home and finding myself in you-tube holes trill silly in the morning. Then spending the next day feeling like shit, letting my work get effected etc. The craving never tells the truth. It's rarely worth it. 

• Upvote 2

I think that can be anything though can't it Stig? 

I've had the best times of my life on Booze and Gear. 
but was in tbe end also having the worst experiences ever. 

craving the best times made the despair even greater when using, 

don't get me wrong there are times when chasing those best times resurfaces and the cravings are unreal but all I need to remind myself is that those good times are not good times anymore. 
I now play the night forward and that helps a lot. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

This.

Littletedwest hit the nail on the head that the craving always makes you think you're going to have a boss time. I fell into the trap of drinking from home and finding myself in you-tube holes trill silly in the morning. Then spending the next day feeling like shit, letting my work get effected etc. The craving never tells the truth. It's rarely worth it. 

I did exactly the same, playing FM til 3 in the morning after necking over half of a bottle of Absolut on a Friday night. Pointless and ended up ruining the Saturday.   

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

15 years or so ago I had a blood pressure scare, the doc told me I had to stop drinking completely.

I stopped for 18 months and I was miserable as fuck.

Strange thing is though, once I started drinking again, I haven't had a single hangover since. Not one.

What's your blood pressure like now though, surely that's the important thing here?

1 minute ago, Total Longo said:

I did exactly the same, playing FM til 3 in the morning after necking over half of a bottle of Absolut on a Friday night. Pointless and ended up ruining the Saturday.   

So easily done. 

2 hours ago, Total Longo said:

Worth it though when Gillingham win the Champions League

• Upvote 1

I think for me the key realisation has been that every journey with the booze ends up in the same place the next day, feeling shit, fat and anxious. I’ve never woken up from a night of drinking feeling good but kept kidding myself that it would be different next time. It never is. Drinking makes me feel worse for far longer than it makes me feel better. That’s why I’ve stopped. 

11 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I think for me the key realisation has been that every journey with the booze ends up in the same place the next day, feeling shit, fat and anxious. I’ve never woken up from a night of drinking feeling good but kept kidding myself that it would be different next time. It never is. Drinking makes me feel worse for far longer than it makes me feel better. That’s why I’ve stopped. 

I agree with all of that. I do need to knock it on the head, I don't suffer hangovers as such just a regretful feeling and and anither unfulfilled promise to myself that I should just stop. I never do though, just all too easy to carry on isn't it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

15 years or so ago I had a blood pressure scare, the doc told me I had to stop drinking completely.

I stopped for 18 months and I was miserable as fuck.

Strange thing is though, once I started drinking again, I haven't had a single hangover since. Not one.

Do you stay drunk 24/7 now then?