You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Not boozing

Rico1304

Every year I have January off the piss*, usually feel great by the end of the month but soon fall back into bad boozing ways.

This year I've been ill for a few weeks, had my last beer on 21st Dec and really feel like going as long as I can into 2013 - so, whats' the longest time you've had off the sauce and does it improve or destroy your life?

*I started this about 15 years ago after a close mate told me he did it and that he didn't think I'd be able to do it. Like a red rag to a bull so I did it and kept the tradition going each year. Last year my mate told me he'd been lying and had never done it. Twat.

I've been drinking like mad the past month or so, this year I have really tried to lay off mainly because I was trying to lose weight but I still had a few beers after work on maybe every second Friday so I didn't really go a long stretch with none.

I do feel way better and have more energy when I'm not drinking but at this stage I pretty much have to drink in most social situations. I can't really remember many times I haven't and there has been a LOT of social situations in the past month with other people who like to drink so I've been at it like a mad man.

I'm definitely going to cut back as much as possible now though because it's caught up with me and I'm sick of feeling shitty the whole next day and I don't want to undo all my hard work of losing weight.

I still won't go a long stretch without drinking at all though but keeping it as a more occasional thing and not going overboard is alright with me, it's when I start drinking a whole bottle of spirits in one night and then drink again the next night that I need to stop.

As for how long I have gone without any drinks, I'm not really sure maybe a month but I was probably smoking pot in that time so I just swap one vice for the other.

Doing the Great North run next summer and will probably fit in a 10K in May so healthy 2013 for me. 37 now so its time I packed in binge drinking coz its fucking doing me in.

My eyes are like piss holes in the snow. I am on it again tomorrow at a house party so think its my last bevvy for a month tomorrow.

I once did about 8 weeks just to piss people off. It worked.

I prefer drinking to not drinking though so probably won't be doing anything that stupid again. That said, my body is currently hurting and I should have some time off it, but instead I will be going out again tonight.

I went 5 weeks recently and that's only because I've just spent 6 months doing my new house up with a brand new baby having arrived in June, come to think of it I honestly think that's the longest I've gone since I was about 18 and I'm 29 now.

Laid off it recently and been driving the match more then ever but think I might give 'no ale January' a go and get back the gym as that's fell by the wayside with everything else going on

I did 6 months before. My mate had an op so I promised to stay off it for as long as him.

It's so difficult as everything revolves around pubs with my mates. Horrible being sober around drunk people.

I have to admit I did feel great and lost a stone and a half. Was playing footy 3 times a week too.

Defo thinking of going off it for Jan too. Fuckin hate hangovers.

I must be unusual because I can take or leave alcohol. I drank plenty over Christmas (of course, I wasn't paying for it, which helped) but will probably not drink now for months. I don't really understand why everyone else makes such a big deal of it. If you don't want to drink, don't drink. Simple.

I drink more frequently but smaller quantities than previously, but with having a car I don't tend to drink to the stage I can't get in the car the next morning.

With saving for a house, and my imminent health kick I aim to reduce my drinking by a third and lately I have been.doing away trips without a bevy.

Not as important as it used to be in order to have a good time