You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Well, Vlad said he'd not want him or even look at him based on the fact he's English. So yeah, pretty much.

I'm going to throw out what I think about this: each player is an individual and should be treated as such. It's their attributes which dictate whether or not we buy them, not where they were born.

Fair enough on the first bit, I certainly haven't said that.

As for the second bit, whilst its all lovely and that, it doesn't really lend itself to the practicalities of running a football club. Money, scouting, etc are finite, so judgements obviously have to be made.

For e.g, Michu is an excellent player, but that only really came as a surprise to people who don't watch La Liga. There are also plenty of other high quality midfielders/forwards in Spain, and midtable English clubs would increase their chances of success if they did a little more shopping there.

This doesn't mean all English midfielders are shite, or all Spanish ones are good.

Guest San Don
Do you have to play in the Premier League to be any good?

I'd rather play in La Liga if I was a professional footballer.

If Pepe was sold tomorrow I'd rather any of this lot -Valdes, Asenjo, Casillas, Adrian, Moya, Palop, Lopez, Iraizoz, De Gea were our new keeper ahead of every single English keeper other than Joe Hart.

I don't watch anywhere near as much German football as I do Spanish, but off the top of my head I'd have all of this lot (other than Hart) before any English keeper - Neuer, Wiese, Adler, Stegen, Zieler.

Hahaha! Adrian, Palop and De Gea? You're clearly deluded then.

Neur, top keeper. Stegen looks like he can grow into being another quality keeper.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

As for the second bit, whilst its all lovely and that, it doesn't really lend itself to the practicalities of running a football club.

I'm not quite sure I understand your objection to my second point. I said "each player is an individual and should be treated as such. It's their attributes which dictate whether or not we buy them, not where they were born.". In what ways is that not conducive to the practical side of running a football club?

If anything, it's absolutely necessary to the running of a successful football club. Buy players because they're good, not because they're Spanish or English or whatever. I've argued this from the other side: Moof and I fell out because he wanted more English players. I just want more good players and fewer bad ones. For example with English players, I don't want Downing, Cole, and Carroll, but I do want Gerrard, Sturridge and Walcott.

It's the same for Spanish players. I don't want Nunez, I do want Mata. I didn't want Mauricio Pellegrino, I did want Roberto Ayala. My point being that Butland is possibly a very inexpensive bargain and we should look very closely at him before he goes to Southampton or Spurs and becomes a top level keeper that we wish we had. Vlad didn't want that, because he's English. That's the sort of thinking that has us chasing our tails. The same applies to people who think we should buy players because they're English. Or Spanish. Or German.

Hahaha! Adrian, Palop and De Gea? You're clearly deluded then.

Neur, top keeper. Stegen looks like he can grow into being another quality keeper.

Should be pretty easy for you to reel off a list of English keepers not called Hart that are much better than Adrian, Palop, and De Gea then.

So how many English keepers are first choice keepers across the 10 best leagues in Europe?

Its less than 5.

English keepers are shite.

Not all of them, just most....

I think Pepe is looking a lot better this season so I want him to stay.

Theres only one person on this forum who is actually qualified to comment on this thread & that is our very own Goalkeeping coach of the forum. The 1 who thinks he knows the lot & belittles other peoples opinions because their different to his. I know hes a thundercunt of epic proportions but he IS a GK coach as hes told me on several occasions. San Don, where are you? You fuckin beaut.

I'm not quite sure I understand your objection to my second point. I said "each player is an individual and should be treated as such. It's their attributes which dictate whether or not we buy them, not where they were born.". In what ways is that not conducive to the practical side of running a football club?

If anything, it's absolutely necessary to the running of a successful football club. Buy players because they're good, not because they're Spanish or English or whatever. I've argued this from the other side: Moof and I fell out because he wanted more English players. I just want more good players and fewer bad ones. For example with English players, I don't want Downing, Cole, and Carroll, but I do want Gerrard, Sturridge and Walcott.

It's the same for Spanish players. I don't want Nunez, I do want Mata. I didn't want Mauricio Pellegrino, I did want Roberto Ayala. My point being that Butland is possibly a very inexpensive bargain and we should look very closely at him before he goes to Southampton or Spurs and becomes a top level keeper that we wish we had. Vlad didn't want that, because he's English. That's the sort of thinking that has us chasing our tails. The same applies to people who think we should buy players because they're English. Or Spanish. Or German.

Or Argentine...

I'm a bit ignorant on keepers in other leagues to be honest' date=' but who are Spains 4 or 5 world class keepers? I can only think of Casillas, Valdes and Reina.

Who are Germany's as I can only think of Neuer?

How many do France and Italy have?

To be honest, I think we can say the other keepers are simply good, and not world class. Almost by definition, number of world class keepers must surely number less than 10.

And then, if you think about the numbers, out of the thousands of prefessional keepers there are around the world, Spain have only a couple more world class keepers than England means that it is not statisticcally significant, it could be down to them having a system that makes better keepers, or it could be down to pure luck.

Finally, pointing at the number of English keepers in the Premier League does not prove anything. The Prem is by far the richest league in the world, and the shared distribution of TV rights means that the lowest clubs revenues will be higher than the most other teams around Europe, for example there are 11 English teams in the Delloites money list top 30, and this means that English clubs are able to go out and get some of the best in the world. Looking at Code's list, the fact that you can see that there are keepers from all over the place goes to proive that. I don't know the answer, but apart from Spain, Italy and Germany, would I be right in saying that pretty much every nation that is represented, we have that countries number 1? Perhaps not when you include the back up keepers, but from the first choice ones, I'm almost certain. That simply means that it is very difficult for young English keepers to get a chance as they are generally up against an International keeper.[/quote']

I watch some of the Bundesliga and I'm very impressed but don't know many names other than Hildebrand and Wiedenfeller?(sp) at Dortmund off the top of my head.

Well' date=' Vlad said he'd not want him or even look at him based on the fact he's English. So yeah, pretty much.

I'm going to throw out what I think about this: each player is an individual and should be treated as such. It's their attributes which dictate whether or not we buy them, not where they were born.[/quote']

I went on to clarify that if we bought Butland we'd pay a stupid fee when there are better and cheaper keepers abroad.

The fact that Butland is English means the odds are stacked against him based on recent history and the poor level of coaching ability.

Theres only one person on this forum who is actually qualified to comment on this thread & that is our very own Goalkeeping coach of the forum. The 1 who thinks he knows the lot & belittles other peoples opinions because their different to his. I know hes a thundercunt of epic proportions but he IS a GK coach as hes told me on several occasions. San Don, where are you? You fuckin beaut.

There is also a fella on here whose name is keepercoach or somesuch.

So how many English keepers are first choice keepers across the 10 best leagues in Europe?

Its less than 5.

English keepers are shite.

Which of course means that a talented 19 year old English keeper is going to be shite. And presumably Welsh, Irish and Scottish ones as well. I mean, the British isles have only produced Banks, Clemence, Shilton, Southall, Jennings, Goram, Leighton, Seaman, Woods, Martyn and god knows how many more in earlier decades. But because there aren't that many good ones around right now it of course means that there never will be again. My god you are fucking dense.