You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reina threw his name into the hat as soon as valdes said he wasnt going to renew his contract, and you can be sure his agent was working overtime to try to make it happen behind the scenes. Rogers only wanted players who were committed so he signed Mignol and moved Reina on. I'm pretty sure if Reina hadnt written his letter to the fans when he left he'd be back at the club now, mistakes made on both sides i think. 

Reina threw his name into the hat as soon as valdes said he wasnt going to renew his contract, and you can be sure his agent was working overtime to try to make it happen behind the scenes. Rogers only wanted players who were committed so he signed Mignol and moved Reina on. I'm pretty sure if Reina hadnt written his letter to the fans when he left he'd be back at the club now, mistakes made on both sides i think.

Nothing half our squad hasnt done at one point or another.

Rafa got twice as much shit for selling alonso but the reina one on rodgers is worse.

• Upvote 3

You're confusing the timeline and missing some important facts out.

He'd told the club he wanted to leave is an offer came from barcelona but would stay if there wasnt well before that letter was published. In other words, he wanted to play both options.

In his letter, he effectively said he didnt rate rodgers with his comments about benitez. Now he's entitled to say that but dont be surprised if you piss your current boss off while doing so.

There's a massive difference in my opinion from a player saying he wants to leave and being talked into staying.

No I'm not that letter was written after Rodgers and the club went behind Reina's back to arrange a loan to Napoli while he was on holiday. You'd be pissed off too.

Secondly Rodgers has never rated Reina and FSG wanted him off the wage bill since the moment they arrived. Rodgers himself has said that his wages is something the club had been looking at for a long time.

All of this predates any notion of Reina going to Barca.

So then the club should have let Suarez go last season for trying to force his way to Madrid, Barca or Arsenal?

He wrote his letter after Rodgers made it public about Barca.

Rodgers goes public about Barca - 26/8/2013

Pepe's letter - 29/8/2013

When reina wrote the letter is immaterial. He told the club about pissing off if barcelona came in with a bid when rodgers was appointed.

I dont recollect Suarez saying "I'll stay if barcelona or madrid dont make a bid." Do you?

No he didn't.

Only when it became clear he was not wanted did he look at Barca.

As for your Suarez point well apart from downing tools trying to force a move to Ardenal and behaving like a twat all summer, that aside what in fucks name do you think his contract extension was for?

Criticising Reina for far less is just fucking hypocrisy.

To be very honest I never particularly liked Reina either. But he was better than Mignolet.

If only we had a better keeper in 2009 and United had won less fake penalty we'd have won the league with Rafa.

Eh if we hadn't conceded against Tottenham he'd have won the golden gloves.

Van der sar and utd's defence is what won it for them. The amount of 1-0's was unreal.

No he didn't.

As for your Suarez point well apart from downing tools trying to force a move to Ardenal and behaving like a twat all summer, that aside what in fucks name do you think his contract extension was for?

He was trying to leave the club for a good while before Rodgers was even here. Even refused to rule out a move to the mancs. He was hardly the committed, top level pro he was between 2006-2010.

No he didn't.

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

Rodgers said on being made manager, he was made aware that reina had mentioned barcelona and was likely to move if a bid was made. Open your fucking eyes.

To be very honest I never particularly liked Reina either. But he was better than Mignolet.

If only we had a better keeper in 2009 and United had won less fake penalty we'd have won the league with Rafa.

Howard Webb handed them a lifeline that year when he gave them one of the dodgiest penalty decisions ever against Aston Villa i think, they were getting battered before Webb got involved and that twat Macheda

Valdes confirmed he was staying on at Barca weeks before Mignolet signed. We just replaced Reina with a dud and because we overpaid he had to play.  And we couldn't have a 100k a week keeper sat on the bench so we loaned him out (and paid half his wages).

As for him not being committed. That summer Suarez downed tools and was kicking and screaming to leave. Reina simply said he'd be open to a move to Barcelona. Agger said the same thing and got made vice captain at the same time Reina was bombed out the club.

• Upvote 2

When I've yet to see that.

'In terms of us as a football club, it was obviously a difficult decision but it's one from last season,' he said.

'As manager I was led to believe we were going to get an offer for Pepe Reina that would probably see him leave the club.

'Obviously, on the football side we had to ensure we protected the team. At that stage we started our search for another goalkeeper and we found Simon Mignolet,

'As events transpired, Pepe's move didn't quite happen and that left us with two very good goalkeepers. Both would have been fighting for the No 1 position.

'An opportunity then arose for Pepe that we felt as a football club was probably best for him.

'As a senior keeper he needs to be playing. This is an important year for him this year with the World Cup next summer.

'It wouldn't have served any purpose for either the football club or him personally if he was the one missing out.

'He has decided to go to Napoli but we still have two very good goalkeepers still here at the club in Simon and Brad Jones. We will review the situation with Pepe when his loan has finished.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2378817/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-says-Pepe-Reina-leave-flirting-Barcelona.html#ixzz3M0Jr6usJ 

'In terms of us as a football club, it was obviously a difficult decision but it's one from last season,' he said.

'As manager I was led to believe we were going to get an offer for Pepe Reina that would probably see him leave the club.

'Obviously, on the football side we had to ensure we protected the team. At that stage we started our search for another goalkeeper and we found Simon Mignolet,

'As events transpired, Pepe's move didn't quite happen and that left us with two very good goalkeepers. Both would have been fighting for the No 1 position.

'An opportunity then arose for Pepe that we felt as a football club was probably best for him.

'As a senior keeper he needs to be playing. This is an important year for him this year with the World Cup next summer.

'It wouldn't have served any purpose for either the football club or him personally if he was the one missing out.

'He has decided to go to Napoli but we still have two very good goalkeepers still here at the club in Simon and Brad Jones. We will review the situation with Pepe when his loan has finished.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2378817/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-says-Pepe-Reina-leave-flirting-Barcelona.html#ixzz3M0Jr6usJ 

Then after the loan and Rodgers having a look over mignolet, he plumped to throw reina out and keep migno and brad, Hows that working out for him now?

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

Rodgers said on being made manager, he was made aware that reina had mentioned barcelona and was likely to move if a bid was made. Open your fucking eyes.

He would say that wouldnt he?

Reina had a different story.

Reina wouldnt have had to have justified leaving to the fans if he wanted out, if rodgers wanted him gone he would have had to. Interestingly.

Reina needed replacing, we just got it wrong replacing him with Mignolet.

Yep. He'd dropped from being one of the best in Europe to a level where he wasn't even in the top ten or twelve in England. Just a shame we replaced him with somebody not even half as good as that.

Seemed we'd a deal done for Begovic that summer too that fell through at the end. I'd still love to see us in for him.

My Good God

So that's one "very good goalkeeper" dropped for an "indefinite period" then.

After he'd improved somewhat of late too.  No that it would be difficult, it must be said.

There must be other shit going on with players in the background here.  There's Borini, Sakho, Lallana all got issues with playing time.  Lovren's got an issue with too much playing time.

What the fuck is/could be going on that we're not privy to ?

Has BR lost the plot ?  Is he being dictated to ?

Baffling.

• 5 years later...

Back to Villa? Wow. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51072000

Aston Villa have agreed a deal to sign former Liverpool and Spain goalkeeper Pepe Reina on loan from AC Milan for the rest of the season.

The 37-year-old will fly to England on Monday for a medical and to discuss personal terms but they are expected to be a formality.

Villa want to add to their goalkeeping options after Tom Heaton was ruled out for the rest of the season.

Heaton suffered a knee injury in the win at Burnley on New Year's Day.

Reina made 394 appearances for Liverpool between 2005 and 2013 before moving to Bayern Munich after a loan spell with Italian club Napoli.

Heaton's understudy Jed Steer, who was first choice during the club's promotion from the Championship, is also out through injury.

• Upvote 1