You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest San Don
I was only going by what benitez said. If you know better though . . .

Listen, if you want to hang onto job titles as opposed to what people do, knock yourself out.

Benitez employs a renowned goalkeeper coach but calls him anything but. Go figure.

A good coach would easily pick up the areas he needed to improve on and help him get in the physical shape he should be in (the main problem imo). He doesn't look nearly as sharp as he used to be and that has changed drastically over the last couple of years, and a lot of the errors he makes are also technical errors. I would think any team would want the very best of goalkeeper coach to ensure getting the most out of a player.

It would be interesting to revisit any old threads about Reina (if there are any) to see what peoples' perceptions of him were a few years ago. I suspect the majority were very positive, but I will admit that I had some doubts. It always seemed like he played well when he had very little to do. People always said that that was the sign of a good keeper but I found that logic dubious to say the least. Perhaps the fact is that he was not as good as people thought then, and not as bad as he appears to be now.

The fact remains that we can do better though.

It would be interesting to revisit any old threads about Reina (if there are any) to see what peoples' perceptions of him were a few years ago. I suspect the majority were very positive, but I will admit that I had some doubts. It always seemed like he played well when he had very little to do. People always said that that was the sign of a good keeper but I found that logic dubious to say the least. Perhaps the fact is that he was not as good as people thought then, and not as bad as he appears to be now.

The fact remains that we can do better though.

Reina was pretty highly rated across the board as I remember. He was considered solid and one of our very best players. He was highly rated by non-Liverpool fans usually too, considered the best in the league alongside Cech.

I genuinely think his decline is more noticable for the very reason that he was so dependable, when you consider the keepers before him used to pull shit like he did against citeh virtually every other game.

This is the Premier League top goalkeepers up to now of season 2112/13

Hart tops theres.

<TABLE class=players-table><THEAD><TR><TH class=alt type="ea" widget="addTooltip">R</TH><TH class=relpos></TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">LR</TH><TH class=player>Player</TH><TH>Club</TH><TH class=position type="ea" widget="addTooltip">POS</TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">APP</TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">MINS</TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">AV.SC</TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">HOME</TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">H.AV</TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">AWAY</TH><TH type="ea" widget="addTooltip">A.AV</TH><TH class=alt type="ea" widget="addTooltip">INDEX</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt>25</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>31</TD><TD class=player>Joe Hart</TD><TD>MCI</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>2316</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>162</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>145</TD><TD>12</TD><TD class=alt>307 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>28</TD><TD class="relpos moveddown"></TD><TD>26</TD><TD class=player>Petr Cech</TD><TD>CHE</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>22</TD><TD>2070</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>149</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>154</TD><TD>14</TD><TD class=alt>304 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>57</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>60</TD><TD class=player>Tim Howard</TD><TD>EVE</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>2413</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>146</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>125</TD><TD>10</TD><TD class=alt>271 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>61</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>63</TD><TD class=player>Simon Mignolet</TD><TD>SUN</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>2415</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>143</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>125</TD><TD>10</TD><TD class=alt>268 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>71</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>92</TD><TD class=player>David De Gea</TD><TD>MUN</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>1649</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>129</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>134</TD><TD>15</TD><TD class=alt>263 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>72</TD><TD class="relpos moveddown"></TD><TD>66</TD><TD class=player>Asmir Begovic</TD><TD>STK</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>2407</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>146</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>114</TD><TD>9</TD><TD class=alt>261 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>94</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>99</TD><TD class=player>Jussi Jaaskelainen</TD><TD>WHU</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>2327</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>124</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>104</TD><TD>9</TD><TD class=alt>229 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>104</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>110</TD><TD class=player>Mark Schwarzer</TD><TD>FUL</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>2213</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>150</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>81</TD><TD>7</TD><TD class=alt>231 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>116</TD><TD class="relpos moveddown"></TD><TD>114</TD><TD class=player>Ali Al Habsi</TD><TD>WIG</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>2410</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>105</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>114</TD><TD>10</TD><TD class=alt>219 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>119</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>124</TD><TD class=player>Bradley Guzan</TD><TD>AVL</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>2219</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>107</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>112</TD><TD>9</TD><TD class=alt>219 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>124</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>151</TD><TD class=player>Tim Krul</TD><TD>NEW</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>21</TD><TD>2039</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>128</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>87</TD><TD>9</TD><TD class=alt>215 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>137</TD><TD class="relpos moveddown"></TD><TD>134</TD><TD class=player>Jose Reina</TD><TD>LIV</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>1924</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>105</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>98</TD><TD>9</TD><TD class=alt>203 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>140</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>164</TD><TD class=player>Hugo Lloris</TD><TD>TOT</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>1449</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>99</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>101</TD><TD>13</TD><TD class=alt>201 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>156</TD><TD class="relpos moveddown"></TD><TD>149</TD><TD class=player>Ben Foster</TD><TD>WBA</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>1743</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>129</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>61</TD><TD>8</TD><TD class=alt>189 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>158</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>165</TD><TD class=player>Wojciech Szczesny</TD><TD>ARS</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>1546</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>117</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>72</TD><TD>12</TD><TD class=alt>189 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>180</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>189</TD><TD class=player>Adam Federici</TD><TD>RDG</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>1729</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>109</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>59</TD><TD>7</TD><TD class=alt>169 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>199</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>217</TD><TD class=player>Soares Julio Cesar</TD><TD>QPR</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>1593</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>86</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>65</TD><TD>8</TD><TD class=alt>151 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>214</TD><TD class="relpos moveddown"></TD><TD>197</TD><TD class=player>Michel Vorm</TD><TD>SWA</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>1318</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>88</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>54</TD><TD>9</TD><TD class=alt>142 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>216</TD><TD class="relpos moveddown"></TD><TD>199</TD><TD class=player>John Ruddy</TD><TD>NOR</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>1226</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>84</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>55</TD><TD>8</TD><TD class=alt>139 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt>220</TD><TD class="relpos movedup"></TD><TD>229</TD><TD class=player>Gerhard Tremmel</TD><TD>SWA</TD><TD class=position>Goalkeeper</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>1092</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>42</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>92</TD><TD>10</TD><TD class=alt>134</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Szczesny is better than Vorm going by the table so I think you know what you can do with that.

Reina was pretty highly rated across the board as I remember. He was considered solid and one of our very best players. He was highly rated by non-Liverpool fans usually too, considered the best in the league alongside Cech.

I genuinely think his decline is more noticable for the very reason that he was so dependable, when you consider the keepers before him used to pull shit like he did against citeh virtually every other game.

Inarguably mate. Goakeepers don't normally get worse as they get older though, and Pepe is now in what should be his prime.

All I'm saying is that my perception was always that Reina looked good primarily because the defense in front of him guaranteed that he didn't have much to deal with. Now that we concede more chances he looks worse. As I say though, this is only a perception and might not be backed up statistically.

Szczesny is better than Vorm going by the table so I think you know what you can do with that.

This is the offical Premier league table of players.

Have at look at amount of games both players have played this season.

The table has nothing to do with who is better than who it is based on game time in them games this seaon.

Vorm has played two games less but even with that it tells you Vorm has been shit this season in the games he has played.

when you consider the keepers before him used to pull shit like he did against citeh virtually every other game.

I love him now for obvious reasons but after his first season where he was brilliant I used to cringe everytime the teamsheet came up and Dudek was in

He didn't half turn up when it mattered though Istanbul and League Cup final against Scum!

I love him now for obvious reasons but after his first season where he was brilliant I used to cringe everytime the teamsheet came up and Dudek was in

He didn't half turn up when it mattered though Istanbul and League Cup final against Scum!

I was the same with Dudek as well.

I love Pepe to bits,but he hasnt been as good as he should for a while.

He use to have a two or three game patch a season where he was ropey.

Though that patch is now expanding into patches.

You could say the defence as a whole has been ropey,but Martin was player of the season for us wasnt he?

I do think since Carra has stopped playing as much we have nobody who has stepped up to take over his organisation of the back line though.

That certainly isnt helping the situation and I would presume it would be Glen or more likely Dan who that responsabilty now falls to.

Add on Pepes seemingly non exsitent shouts to the defence which I havent noticed to be honest,wouldnt help things at the back either.

Pepe has been in a team with a severe lack of goal threat - other than Suarez, for the last couple of seasons. The midfield has also been split easier than a knife through butter since summer 2012. All this has inevitably increased the pressure on the defence as a whole. With carra's issues in games last season, skittles being off form this season, Pepe has had a lot less confidence and been a lot more error prone, combine his lack of form with poor physique and injury over the last couple of years, and I think you can come up with a reasonable explanation for the dramatic loss of form.

Has he lost it, I hope not, I think as the forwards get more goals following the signings of sturridge, and hopefully coutinho, and hold the ball better up the pitch; combined with the midfield tightening up recently and taking a defined shape and approach - this will help ease the pressure at the back, enable them to build confidence, and hopefully enable Pepe to come back up to previous standards. With the poor overall form of the team beyond the defence in the last couple of years, even the likes of clemence or Schmeichel would be under great pressure and far more error prone.

For those questioning the relevance of the goalkeeper coach, read champions league dreams, forget about the author and read up on the coaching and preparation methods, if those currently working with Reina are not showing the same level of attention towards preparing for opponents, then this will also have a massive effect on the keeper, especially with regards to penalties- where Reina really looks to have gone off the boil.

Pepe has been in a team with a severe lack of goal threat - other than Suarez, for the last couple of seasons. The midfield has also been split easier than a knife through butter since summer 2012. All this has inevitably increased the pressure on the defence as a whole. With carra's issues in games last season, skittles being off form this season, Pepe has had a lot less confidence and been a lot more error prone, combine his lack of form with poor physique and injury over the last couple of years, and I think you can come up with a reasonable explanation for the dramatic loss of form.

Has he lost it, I hope not, I think as the forwards get more goals following the signings of sturridge, and hopefully coutinho, and hold the ball better up the pitch; combined with the midfield tightening up recently and taking a defined shape and approach - this will help ease the pressure at the back, enable them to build confidence, and hopefully enable Pepe to come back up to previous standards. With the poor overall form of the team beyond the defence in the last couple of years, even the likes of clemence or Schmeichel would be under great pressure and far more error prone.

For those questioning the relevance of the goalkeeper coach, read champions league dreams, forget about the author and read up on the coaching and preparation methods, if those currently working with Reina are not showing the same level of attention towards preparing for opponents, then this will also have a massive effect on the keeper, especially with regards to penalties- where Reina really looks to have gone off the boil.

I agree.

I think people talking about replacing him have a case, in fairness, but I'm still confident in his ability and would like to keep him. It's interesting that there is a poll in the MF about which player you'd most like to have from the league and the top 3 are Yaya Toure, Bale and Kompany. When you consider that we have Downing, who is terrible, out wide then Bale makes sense; the other two go to a point about the teams spine and the lack of steel.

Of course, that doesn't excuse Reina's dropping standards from the outstanding, and he was outstanding, Liverpool 'keeper he used to be. However, if we agree that the very heart of the team lacks character and solidity, then a drop in form is inevitable, surely?

he's not been the same since he dropped ball on goal line against arsenal and someone poked it in the net,he's looked nervous ever since.maybe it reminded him of his clangers that got him the boot from barca?

or maybe he's just goosed from being a dad again over last couple of years? :biggrin:

hope he gets back to his best cos if he does wanna leave? we'll be lucky to fucking get ten bob for him at the moment!

Obviously Pepe's return to top form would be infinitely better than replacing him' date=' but how long do you give him? End of the season would be a good time to look at it for me, because it will have been three seasons of bad form if he can't sort it.[/quote']

Ideally they need to bring in an understudy, not just ship him out. Bring in a new keeper by all means and give them a season to battle it out, but a proper alternative not, unfortunately, brad jones. And fuck what Pepe wants, the team is more important, he has to stay on a year so either he improves or the new boy takes over and is an improvement.

I can't for the life of me understand why at £4million we didn't gamble on Butland.

Butland rejected Chelsea as he wants to play, I think its likely Stoke have told him Begovic is going in the summer so he'll be first choice once his loan ends

We've put ourselves in a tricky situation by giving Jones a new deal, he is a top lad by all accounts and much improved from when he first came and I think people have gone overboard on the Oldham error especially after some of his other games have been very good this season but the ideal situation in the summer (barring a Pepe resurgance) would be to get rid of Pepe and Jones then bring in someone to be first choice then a top young prospect like Butland as cover

There is a strong possibility Skrtel and Coates will follow Carragher out the door in the summer. The idea of changing the keeper as well does not sound all that appealing. 3 new center backs and a keeper makes for another season of transition before a ball is even kicked.

In fairness to Rodgers he has gotten Henderson and Enrique playing at acceptable levels and Downing is 200 times better than he was last season (but is still shit), whether its Rodgers himself or the new psychological guy, one way or the other they have managed to completely transform the head space of 3 under performing players. My preferred option would be to do the same with Reina, changing goalkeepers is a lottery. I've been supporting Liverpool for 25 years and Reina is the only keeper in that time worthy of the shirt, in the same time span Arsenal have had only 1 and Utd have 2, good ones really are hard to come by.

Ideally they need to bring in an understudy, not just ship him out. Bring in a new keeper by all means and give them a season to battle it out, but a proper alternative not, unfortunately, brad jones. And fuck what Pepe wants, the team is more important, he has to stay on a year so either he improves or the new boy takes over and is an improvement.

If he doesn't want to be here, he certainly won't improve. Not that I claim to have any kind of a clue what he wants.

There is a strong possibility Skrtel and Coates will follow Carragher out the door in the summer. The idea of changing the keeper as well does not sound all that appealing. 3 new center backs and a keeper makes for another season of transition before a ball is even kicked.

In fairness to Rodgers he has gotten Henderson and Enrique playing at acceptable levels and Downing is 200 times better than he was last season (but is still shit), whether its Rodgers himself or the new psychological guy, one way or the other they have managed to completely transform the head space of 3 under performing players. My preferred option would be to do the same with Reina, changing goalkeepers is a lottery. I've been supporting Liverpool for 25 years and Reina is the only keeper in that time worthy of the shirt, in the same time span Arsenal have had only 1 and Utd have 2, good ones really are hard to come by.

Yep.