You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

reminded me a bit of a goal he conceded in that other champions league final we were in.

I think he'll be off in the summer. I think he feels he's ready for a change and maybe we're ready for a change too. if he can get his move to barca he'll be off and who could blame him?

he's been a great keeper for us for 8-9 seasons but nothing lasts forever and as a big earner I'm sure FSG will be happier with a less expensive replacement.

Can't blame Skrtel no chance' date=' if you watch it again he puts his arm out to Pepe basically saying stay there I've got it, terrible error.[/quote']

Once Reina charged out, there was only one place for Skrtel to be: directly between the ball and the goal. And he wasn't there. He was at fault.

I'd also hypothesise that if the manager had kept a left-back on the pitch, none of this ever would have happened.

Must be angling for a summer move.

I wouldn't blame him for wanting to leave, but if he's playing shit to get that transfer then he's a deluded cunt, because nobody's going to beat a path to your door when you're playing shit.

Fixed it for you.

(I assume that's what you meant, because it was absolute antisensical flapdoodle the way you wrote it.)

Guest San Don
Once Reina charged out, there was only one place for Skrtel to be: directly between the ball and the goal. And he wasn't there. He was at fault.

I'd also hypothesise that if the manager had kept a left-back on the pitch, none of this ever would have happened.

As dave says, usain bolt wouldnt have been able to get back to the goal as he was going to aguero.

Has to go in the comedy of errors for me, as more than just Riena were culpable.

Skrtel was completely the wrong side of Aguero, possibly ball watching a bit, but Aguero was goal side of Skrtel, ahd he not been Riena wouldn't have felt the need to come out.

But because Aguero got the right side he was in on goal, admittedly to a ball towards the edge of the area. An outrageous attempt from Aguero made Riena's decision to come out be a little rash.

However, any other keeper in any form, would have conceded there. Riena came out, tried to make himself big, but Aguero got through.

Skrtel could have continued to follow Aguero, even though Riena came out, but he didn't, just ran to finish mid way between goal and the ball, marking no-one.

There was no one person to blame for it - but the defence as a whole. Three or four errors lead to the fact that Aguero tried something that 95 out of 100 times wouldn't have worked.

Our defensive positioning is all wrong at the moment, we give too much space in our own box, and let players get wrong side too often. It needs sorting out quick, because the rest of our game (going forward) is much improved.

not that I'm advocating Reina staying but be careful what you ask for ..sometimes its better the devil you know. Reina goes and the yanks will want him replaced by someone far far younger and cheaper and young goalkeepers have to make mistakes to learn,far more mkistakes than Reinas making right now...

In my mind its a much better option finding out and fixing whatever has caused such a downturn in form..

And that folks is the answer.

He took enrique off and to me he needed to put johnson to left backand carra to right back and skrtl center.

Instead he done more of a straight swap and not in a million years is he a left back.

Hence the major balls up of exactly his postiton when the ball went to Aguero.

Which I would imagine was the reason Pepe came charging out as he h realised the situation but wasnt able to stop it in time and got beat by a shot that 9 out of 10 times would not of gone in.

Johnson should of been moved to left back without a doubt.

Nobody is going to pay big money for him.

Barca would play silly bastards over the fee per normal,any Italian side would claim they have no money.If Barca do want him is try and swap him for Alex Song.He would fit nicely as the deepest lying off the midfield three.

As dave says, usain bolt wouldnt have been able to get back to the goal as he was going to aguero.

But Martin Skrtel would have been able to move 6 feet to his left and put himself in the line between the player and the goal, to at least give himself a chance of blocking it off, rather than just standing in no-man's land scratching his arse.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Says who?

Well, both you and Scouse Tapas seem to be focusing on the fault of the manager or Skrtel, who was chasing the player down and would have been on him by the time he turned towards goal. In the post above, I didn't see you mention Reina. If you think Reina is also responsible, which I've not seen you say, than fine. I'd be happy to take back what I said in your case and apologise for reading into what you said.

Listening to TAW yesterday, it was said that not only wasn't it a mistake, it was the right thing he'd done. I've not got a major problem with it, I just see it very differently. He had no right being out of his 6 yard box, much less his 18 yard box. Whether or not he finished well doesn't really matter, Aguero could have turned and crosses to any one of the City players coming into the box.

It was Pepe's fault, in my opinion, just in the same way it was Skrtel's fault in the home game against them. Pepe is having a shocking season, backed up by a couple of other shocking seasons. He's costing us goals through mistakes (8 this season, according to OPTA), he's costing us goals through shots he should have saved and would have saved a few years back, and his shot to save ratio is through the fucking floor. Add all those up and something is going wrong.

not that I'm advocating Reina staying but be careful what you ask for ..sometimes its better the devil you know. Reina goes and the yanks will want him replaced by someone far far younger and cheaper and young goalkeepers have to make mistakes to learn,far more mkistakes than Reinas making right now...

In my mind its a much better option finding out and fixing whatever has caused such a downturn in form..

My thought as well. Finding a new keeper will cost us and I'm still confident the reason he is not performing is mainly down to insufficient coaching. And people are quick to forget the fact that he showed loyalty to the club when others didn't, maybe it is time for someone else to show him a bit of that as well. He's still young for a goalkeeper and have at least seven or eight good years in him if he is given the opportunity of a decent goalkeeper coach.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I just don't understand this 'coaching' thing. It seems like a really strange excuse. He's 30 and operated at the highest level at two clubs. Having a specific coach isn't going to make him great again.

I've asked this question before, but where would you rank Reina in the current list of Premiership goalies?

It might be easier to list who you would place below him, and that says a lot. If we can still convince someone to spend close to £10 million on him in the summer we would be insane not to take it.

Hard to say exactly but hes not top 10.

Just take this seasons form to make it easier, best way to work it out is who is worse than him(says it all tbh), honestly theres not many i would put below him, even Saints with all their goalkeeper woes have found Boruc who has been saving their ass in a fair few games of late.

Federici is shite but has been better lately, Cesar has been class even though they are bottom, Guzan doesn't seem to make howlers just has the worst defence in the league ahead of him... you can make a solid case for Reina being one of the worst 3 or 4 goalkeepers in the league based on this season.

All that saves him is his distribution which is still top notch, but anyone would swap that in a flash for him to stop making mistakes and start earning us points again with saves and not costing them.

People that dont think theres much wrong are letting sentimentality cloud their judgement or are just in plain denial.

I just don't understand this 'coaching' thing. It seems like a really strange excuse. He's 30 and operated at the highest level at two clubs. Having a specific coach isn't going to make him great again.

Coaching is a massive deal though. look at Corrigan, he fucked up more players than Mark Fuhrman.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Coaching is a massive deal though.

Then we need to get Peggy Arphexad back and get a better coach in, surely?

look at Corrigan, he fucked up more players than Mark Fuhrman.

:D

Guest San Don
But Martin Skrtel would have been able to move 6 feet to his left and put himself in the line between the player and the goal, to at least give himself a chance of blocking it off, rather than just standing in no-man's land scratching his arse.

Sorry, you're entitled to your opinion but watch the video again. Expecting skrtel who is closing down aguero to suddenly dart to cover the goal is the most inane explanation I've seen.

Guest San Don

Some people claim these mistakes are because valero isnt the GK coach. They need to realise he hasnt been GK coach here for about 4 years.

And, have they seen cech's or turnbull's form of late? Guess who's coaching them now, yep, valero. So the talk based on valero not being reina's coach and being the root of the problem is pretty much bollocked I'd say.

Genuine question. Let's look at it from a different angle - when's the last time anybody thought he earned us a point or even three points that we didn't deserve?

(And think back to some opposition goalkeeping displays against us over the past two seasons if you think the question is unfair.)