You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Reina has cost us 8 goals from errors alone, apparently. That's without goals he could (and probably would) have saved a few years back. Along with his low shot to save ratio, it's not easy to defend him any more.

We'll sell him in the summer. Then you'll all have a go at FSG for cutting the wage bill. Because some of you are only happy when your moaning like fuck. God help the next player to do a fuck up. Skrtels had it, Gerrard earlier in the season, Raheems been getting a bit of it, the 18 Year old Raheem, Coates also, Allen too, Borini as well. I love our fans. I'd be quite happy if Reina stayed, he's not the keeper he was, although,I suppose he hasn't got the protection in front of him he once had.He fucked up yesterday. It happens. Live with it.

He was to far off his line and all that, but the blame must be shared with Skrtel!

Any central defender who does not cut off the path of the striker to protect your goalkeeper is a pretty shit one and that's what he did in this instance....

Knowing our manager, he'll probably try to sign Vorm in the summer. But I would like Reina to stay at least one more season. He's not irreplaceable, no-one is. But I do believe that reliable goalkeepers are extremely difficult to find.

he isn't reliable anymore though, I'm really struggling to get where people who are saying he is still a good keeper are coming from

he hasn't got the protection in front of him he once had.He fucked up yesterday. It happens. Live with it.

It all depends what the ambition of the club is. Reina is a good keeper whose time may come again, currently he is not top four material.

I don't think that Johnson/Skrts/Agger/Enrique is by any means a weak back four. I have noticed that he Reina does not shout, scold and organise as he once did.

At some point he will want to go home, I suspect that time is now. The skill from the club's point of view is selling him while he still has some miles left in him so that we get a fee which we can reinvest. I would mucg rather that we parted company with dignity on both sides, a fee in our back pocket, and best wishes for the remainder of his career which could easily span another ten years, than see the gradual erosion of motivation and performance that we have witnessed.

Guest San Don
he isn't reliable anymore though, I'm really struggling to get where people who are saying he is still a good keeper are coming from

Reina is a good keeper. He's capable of making some brilliant saves. But, he's also capable of making unforced errors like yesterday. These are becoming far too frequent. He's becoming like jambo.

A top, top keeper can 'save' you 10 maybe 12 points a season with saves that mean you get 3 points instead of 1 or 0.

It's like a misfiring striker. Sooner or later he gets dropped or moved on because he is costing the team. Goalkeepers are no different.

Reina is a good keeper. He's capable of making some brilliant saves. But, he's also capable of making unforced errors like yesterday. These are becoming far too frequent. He's becoming like jambo.

A top, top keeper can 'save' you 10 maybe 12 points a season with saves that mean you get 3 points instead of 1 or 0.

It's like a misfiring striker. Sooner or later he gets dropped or moved on because he is costing the team. Goalkeepers are no different.

I see him as average at best these days and a lot of the time he has been below average, I'd imagine he has cost us a lot more points than he has won us in the last couple of years and half the goals we concede these days seem to be ones that make you think "he'd have saved that 4 years ago"

Can't blame Skrtel no chance' date=' if you watch it again he puts his arm out to Pepe basically saying stay there I've got it, terrible error.[/quote']

Skrtel should have made more effort to get to Aguero, when Pepe came running past him he stopped, he should have carried on tracking back. I am in no way saying that it wasn't Pepe's fault, but if Skrtel double's up on Aguero then maybe he doesn't get that strike in

it's hard to say because i love the bloke but if we can get mignolet, begovic or krul and sell pepe for 10 million then so be it. he is far from a bad keeper but has gradually got worse the last few years. he doesn't seem anywhere near as confident these days but maybe it's because we defend a lot more than we did when he first came.

gutted we missed out on butland because he could have been a great foil for pepe and someone to take over his mantle at a cheap price.

as with all 'loved by the fans players' it's hard to let go of the memories when talking about him.

in-fact fuck it, keep him i love pepe and his best is yet to come.

He looks haunted thesedays, far from the happy-go-lucky joker he was when he first arrived. I'd agree about the looks he's getting from the defenders after a fuck-up. In his early Liverpool career they'd look relatively nonplussed and sympathetic but thesedays it looks more like they've lost all confidence in him. Having been in that position myself, it's hard to get the faith back from the team. Feeling untrusted saps your confidence, and makes it harder to find the consistency that leads to the trust coming back, so you're in a vicious circle.

It's probably best that he moves on, and I'll wish him all the best when he does and I hope he gets his mojo back. I think there might be something in these Barcelona rumours, purely because transfer rumours are usually 2+2= jobs - like the Suarez to Bayern story. But an out of form goalkeeper moving to the best team in the world? Seems a bit incongruous.

One thing's for sure. We'll get shafted in the transfer like we always do when they knock on the door.

I'd rather stick with Reina, unless he wanted to leave.

He's had a poor couple of years, by his extremely high standards, it happens and is understandable given how we have been underachieving for years maybe he has lost a little of his sharpness.

But you don't win the amount of golden gloves he did without being top class. He is still young enough to player for many years. He is still for me, the best keeper around with his feet. He just needs to make less mistakes and some more saves.

If we are saying sell him because he has cost us 8 goals in two seasons, then we'll also have to sell Johnson, Skrtel and Agger!

Guest The Big Green Bastard
There will still be some people saying nothing's wrong.

comical_ali.jpg

I like his technique and big hands, not sure about the beret. Sign him up!

I love Reina the person and what he's done for the club since he arrived more than the next guy but the argument about judging him 'against his own high standards' doesn't even cut anymore. I've been myself very reluctant to criticise Reina at all (mainly because of the fact that people are advocating Brad Jones ahead of him who my middlesbrough supporting friends still laugh at the fact they got 2.5m for him!)

However Judge him by every other keeper in the league or the keepers in the teams we want to compete against and he doesn't stack up favourably in terms of points his individual errors have cost us which are becoming too numerous.

His shot stopping and command of area have deteriorated significantly and the only outstanding attribute we have left that we would miss if we swapped him for another keeper is his passing/kicking ability.

According to Opta Reina has directly cost us 14 league points this season. 14. That is an incredible number, way way too high for a top quality keeper.

Yes there is a chance he could regain his form and go back to what he was, in my opinion the best all round goalkeeper in the world for a few years, but for a foreign player living in a different country for 8 years and growing stale it might just be best for both parties to go separate ways. It is extremely difficult once you get into such a slump to get out of it without a drastic change of some sort and for Liverpool to move upwards and for Reina to recover his form its best for both parties to separate.

In terms of replacement for me, I don't watch a lot of football outside the Premiership and the top 3 in La Liga because of the Sky games, best would be Thibaut Courtois from Atletico on loan from Chelsea, not sure if they'd sell to us (probably not) but if we could that would be amazing, for such a young keeper he seems brilliant. Apart from that I'm not so sure but I'm sure plenty on here would have some ideas.

Thanks Pep but good luck to you back in Spain.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

Must be angling for a summer move.

I feel for the guy having had Hyypia and Carragher play in front of him to begin his lfc career and now it's a case of squad rotation with inferior CB's. The rest of the team has improved dramatically, but where is Pepe's protection?

I wouldn't blame him for wanting to leave, but if he's playing shit to get that transfer then he's a cunt.

Pepe Reina says Liverpool can't compete in Premier League title race

Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina has admitted the Anfield outfit 'can't compete' in the Premier League title race with Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea.

The Reds are currently 26 points adrift of leaders United in the Premier League table and remain 17 behind champions City following Sunday's thrilling 2-2 draw at the Etihad Stadium.

Brendan Rodgers' side held a 2-1 lead against City going into the closing stages, before Reina'sspacer.gif ill-advised rush from his line allowed Sergio Aguerospacer.gif to score a spectacular equaliser.

And the shot-stopper believes that the difference between the financial muscle and squad strength of the Premier League's leading trio and Liverpoolspacer.gif has reached a significant point.

"Right now we can't compete with the big guns. They have a big edge over us at the moment, both financially and squad-wise."

Pepe ReinaQuotes of the week

Reina told Marca: "Right now we can't compete with the big guns. They have a big edge over us at the moment, both financially and squad-wise.

"There's a reason they are so many points ahead of us, and it's not because of one or two better players."

The Spain international has come under the spotlight personally this term, with his standards having slipped from previous seasons.

Reina admits this has been the most testing campaign for himself and the Reds since he moved to Anfield in July 2005, but defended his displays and insists the club need to be given time under Rodgers.

He added: "It's been a strange season for me because I've missed lots of games with injury.

"Some people say I've had a bad season, but honestly I think I only had three poor matches, at the beginning of the year.

"This has been the most unsettled season, both personally and as a team, since I joined the club.

"Liverpool is going through a transitional period, with new ideas and a different playing philosophy. That takes time. People have to be patient. It's normal for us to be erratic."

Pepe Reina says Liverpool can't compete in Premier League title race | Liverpool News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports