You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Some people claim these mistakes are because valero isnt the GK coach. They need to realise he hasnt been GK coach here for about 4 years.

And, have they seen cech's or turnbull's form of late? Guess who's coaching them now, yep, valero. So the talk based on valero not being reina's coach and being the root of the problem is pretty much bollocked I'd say.

It is one of the more bizarre explanations I've heard.

Genuine question. Let's look at it from a different angle - when's the last time anybody thought he earned us a point or even three points that we didn't deserve?

(And think back to some opposition goalkeeping displays against us over the past two seasons if you think the question is unfair.)

Birmingham away in Rafa's last season (or was it when Woy was here?)

thing is, if we had sold him in summer 2010 and bought a replacement who put in the same performances over the last 2 and a half years we'd have never heard the end of it

Yeah he deserves respect for what he has done in the past and when he does go I hope thats what he'll be remembered by but that doesn't mean we should persevere with such poor performances for such a lengthy period of time

It was under Roy, Reina had cost us 2 points with his standard gift to arsenal when they visit us a week earlier

Yep, right you are. Fucking injury time equaliser at Anfield. He did the same last season but it was a winner. Van Persie, near post volley.

This really is a difficult question to answer - but obviously there are many on here that have give it a go and I'm not going to be any different.

It's not difficult because of Reina's form - he's been very poor recently. But as a fan base that has historically been patient with players and managers alike the default position is probably to give him time to recover the form that made him one of the best. But......

on the other hand as a group of fans known as being of the more knowledgable out there we can all clearly see that his performances are costing us.

My view is that he should be given a little more time to recover his form but he really is in the last chance saloon here and if he costs us any more points we have to cut our losses and look at what's out there. I'm just a little bit pissed off that Jack Butland has left Birmingham and gone to Stoke!

Some people claim these mistakes are because valero isnt the GK coach. They need to realise he hasnt been GK coach here for about 4 years.

And, have they seen cech's or turnbull's form of late? Guess who's coaching them now, yep, valero. So the talk based on valero not being reina's coach and being the root of the problem is pretty much bollocked I'd say.

Valero isn't the goalkeeping coach, he's a match analyst or something. Cech has his own personally appointed coach that club won't mess with. And certainly not for an interim manager anyways.

Once Reina charged out, there was only one place for Skrtel to be: directly between the ball and the goal. And he wasn't there. He was at fault.

I'd also hypothesise that if the manager had kept a left-back on the pitch, none of this ever would have happened.

This was something I picked up on myself at that time. I thought Enrique in front of Johnson was working very well and his substitution weakened that area of the pitch.

Nobody was blameless and not just Reina.

I think he's made fewer mistakes this season than last season but the problems in front of him have highlighted any weaknesses.

I think it's easy to go overboard on what happened on Sunday.

A big part of Pepe's game is his sweeping up where he can be pretty much a third centre half at times. Sunday wasnt an out of character rush of blood. Pepe has always took gambles and came out further than most goalkeepers would dare to do before putting a challenge in on the attacker. 99% of the time during his career here he has won the ball or forced the attacker in to the corner and snuffed out any danger at the source rather than letting the play develop. That's his game. He takes calculated gambles which te vast majority of the time pay off.

Sunday's gamble didn't pay off and we paid the ultimate price but its football. The lad scored an absolute worldy and found the net from an angle which he had absolutely no right to do so from. It's easy to say Pepe should have stayed because there was no threat but how do we know Aguero doesn't take a touch, and pick Dzeko out at the back post or alternatively gets clattered by Skrtel and wins his team a penalty? The fact is sweeping up has always been a massive strength in Pepe's game. He anticipates and is always on his toes ready to snuff out danger and nip it in the bud. We can overanalyse the rights and wrongs of it, blame Pepe or Skrtel, blame BR for taking off a left back but I think people are quick to get carried away with overanalysing what was a split second situation.

Guest San Don
Valero isn't the goalkeeping coach, he's a match analyst or something. Cech has his own personally appointed coach that club won't mess with. And certainly not for an interim manager anyways.

Valero is the keeper coach. Yes, he might have the title match analyst or whatever but if you think he isnt involved in coaching, you're very much mistaken.

I think it's easy to go overboard on what happened on Sunday.

I think the concern is a sysematic decline from his own high standards rather than any one game.

The question is simply whether he has run his course here, however good he is now, or may become after a move which rejuvenates him.

No-one said he doesn't still make the occasional save, Code. The problem is the decreasing frequency of the event, as evidenced clearly by the statistics. You remember statistics, right?

Spot on, yeah he makes occasional good saves but isn't that the bare minmium we should expect? of course it is.

The question above about when he last genuinely earned us points we didn't deserve, fuck knows to be honest, he used to save us a lot of points including and FA Cup with that awesome save in extra time and penalty shoot out, he costs us points nowadays, no right minded person can deny it.

No-one said he doesn't still make the occasional save, Code. The problem is the decreasing frequency of the event, as evidenced clearly by the statistics. You remember statistics, right?

The goal keeper stats availible points to Reina and Cech being the best keepers in the league.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The goal keeper stats availible points to Reina and Cech being the best keepers in the league.

Which stats are indicating he and Cech are the best in the league?