You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I agree with that (you can see as much in my post) but don't think its impossible to find a great keeper - just hard. I don't think we'll be able to afford him and bring somebody in to be honest. With the wages hes on and the fee he'd command, he'd be quite a luxury of a bench warmer.

Yeah - I reckon hes gone. If he goes though I hope we get the fee we deserve for him.

To be honest with the fees touted I think we'll be mugging anyone off if we got them prices, think we got him for 5.5million didn't we? brilliant signing overall and we've more than got our money worth with that but the last couple of years he has been very poor and I'd be amazed if the likes of Barca are genuinely interested

To find a keeper with anything near Pepes standards and one ie wanting to join us and the price it would cost to get him, I would think is near on impossable.

With hindsight this should of been sorted at the time we realised he had known he wouldnt achieve what he wanted here.

He first starting getting doubts the moment Alonso left.Which then became more than a doubt when Torres and Mascher left.

We needed to get a young keeper back then we could bring through for when Pepe wanted to go.

It is well documented him saying anyway about wanting to go back Spain when he was 32 or 33.

The thing is the moment he realised we were not going to be the team he thought we were going to be happend before then.

With him knowing that he has stagnated here and I think unless he thinks that is going to change before this season ends and reinstalls his belief he is at the right team,Then he either has to accept that and be happy in his head he wont be winning the things he wants and just to be happy playing out his days here.

He will become more focussed and without them thoughts in his head he will go back to the form he is capable of.

Thats all it is down to is him deciding what he wants with what he has left of his playing days.

If he is still unable to decide by the end of the season,Then it is up to the club to make it for him and sell him while he commands a high value.

Maybe it has been a case of no club has actually come for him in which he believes can achieve what he wants.I would imagine at some point he has said to the club if another club ie a top club comes in with a decent offer for him then he wants to speak to them.

If thats the case then his thought of joining another club wont go now so as much as it saddens me we have to sell him.

The worst case senario for him is a top club not wanting him but I am sure plenty of the top teams in Spain apart from Barca and real would jump at the chance of signing him.

So then at least he would be back in his country playing for a pretty good team and not here stagnating and unfocused.

Though it still would leave us with the problem of replacing him with a keeper of his standard.

That will cost pretty big bucks unless we get a young keeper who looks promising and even then it wont be cheap or guaranteed he will reach them heights quickly.

Replacing Pepe or any top keeper can set a team back years if the wrong one is signed.

That can then affect keeping players like Suarez staying here as a keeper is by far the hardest player to replace and is also the postion that any club with ambition has to be filled with somebody with class, or your going to lose more games than win no matter who the rest of the squad are.

Today was just a a mistake that lead to a goal which 9 times out of 10 would not of gone in.

It is going to be interesting to see how Pepe reacts to it in the next game or two.

A great shot stopper

Can play as a sweeper

Has ability on the ball

Has great concentration (as will have long periods where he literally does nothing)

Commands his penalty area

Has strength to come trough a crowd of players

If Pepe leaves I really think we will struggle to replace him

According to this he is not a great shot stopper anymore

English Premier League Player Leaders - Soccer - NBC Sports

Worst save percentage in the premier league (64%). It was above 85% in his to first seasons at Liverpool.

Said in the match thread, we need to be looking at a new keeper in the summer, no question. The time is right for him to go to Barca (if they actually want him) and for us to try someone new.

Oh God, not this again!

He is still a top quality keeper. Why try someone else who may or may not be any use? Jesus, just look at Brad fucking Jones.

Another thing regarding Pepe is his ability to see a chance of releasing a ball quickly to a player for them to score.Think back to Torres and how many times Pepe was the one to put him through with his quick thinking and ability to place the ball there.

That dosent happen under this system and Iv e lost count of the number of times he has collected the ball and quickly gone to release the ball,only for him not to and to play it to a defender instead.

Maybe with Dan here now he will start doing that more(if he is allowed to).

Guest Numero Veinticinco
the more I think about it, the more I think keepers are shite. When was the last time you saw one and thought they were boss?

Most weeks we have a home game.

Oh God, not this again!

He is still a top quality keeper. Why try someone else who may or may not be any use? Jesus, just look at Brad fucking Jones.

In what way is he a top quality keeper? Poor shot stopper, doesn't save penalties and has at least one howler every game. He's a liability and has been for at least two seasons now. Jones should be number one for the rest of the season.

Oh God, not this again!

The pretty open touting of him by his dad to Barcelona recently would suggest that he's not adverse to such a move himself.

I thought he was one of the best in the world for a very long time, but the drop in reliability has been startling. Not sure whether it's disillusionment, lack of competition or changes in coaching, but I can't remember a game he kept us in or a game that he stood out in other than for a mistake over the last eighteen months.

And I think everybody would agree that Brad Jones isn't a credible successor.

In what way is he a top quality keeper? Poor shot stopper, doesn't save penalties and has at least one howler every game. He's a liability and has been for at least two seasons now. Jones should be number one for the rest of the season.

Just thought I'd pop in to call you a massive spastic in case everyone else forgot.

I'm more concerned with the rest of the season, than what happens at the end of it. Obviously Reina's form is very unsettling, but Brad Jones isn't exactly Mr. Safe Hands, and there's just the little matter of this season to finish.

I still say, that although he made some boo-boos last season, generally, he and the defense were more watertight. The synergy between the back 4 and the keeper has been lacking this season completely - not only were Agger and Reina not communicating in the Citeh match, but they weren't even talking, by the looks.

It's hard to say which came first, the chicken or the egg, but Reina doesn't trust the defense and the defense doesn't trust Reina.

Unless there is a serious increase confidence, and decrease in errors, we can forget about top 5, possibly top 6.

I'm more concerned with the rest of the season, than what happens at the end of it. Obviously Reina's form is very unsettling, but Brad Jones isn't exactly Mr. Safe Hands, and there's just the little matter of this season to finish.

I still say, that although he made some boo-boos last season, generally, he and the defense were more watertight. The synergy between the back 4 and the keeper has been lacking this season completely - not only were Agger and Reina not communicating in the Citeh match, but they weren't even talking, by the looks.

It's hard to say which came first, the chicken or the egg, but Reina doesn't trust the defense and the defense doesn't trust Reina.

Unless there is a serious increase confidence, and decrease in errors, we can forget about top 5, possibly top 6.

Glad you mentioned that Agger thing as I thought it was only me.

But I didnt notice the problem with Pepe.

Agger looked pissed off from the start over something and it took him awhile to get into form.

I might of missed what caused it but I guessing it was to do with Pepe going by your post.

The problem with keepers is that good ones are like rocking horse shit. The position in general seems to have declined in quality massively down the years, I've no idea why, EUFA fucking with the ball, training methods, the backpass rule, I've no idea, but you can count the truly good ones in world football on one hand. The mancs have spent the best part of a decade trying to replace Schmeical and spunked £18m on that bag of shite who still remains their Achiles heel.

Reina was IMO our most consistent and solid keeper since Clemence when we got him and the best in the league by far at his pomp, that he's declined is clear, but there's still the raw material of a great keeper in there.

People say we should drop him, but for who? That clown Brad Jones? He makes De Gea look like The Black Spider. And replace him long term with who? If we can find someone then great, but it's not that easy - fuck knows we tried long enough to find Reina.

Theres lots good keepers around, just in the PL there are 3 or 4 possibilites for us, we shouldn't have a problem replacing Reina.

Your right about Jones for sure, i wouldn't have him anywhere near the team regardless of Pepes form.

Theres lots good keepers around, just in the PL there are 3 or 4 possibilites for us, we shouldn't have a problem replacing Reina.

Your right about Jones for sure, i wouldn't have him anywhere near the team regardless of Pepes form.

I can think of 3 premiership keepers all could become great keepers but there not yet and might not make it.

All 3 would cost us big and one of them in Foster I dont think would come here anyway.

The other two possables are Vorm who could become superb and Mignolet another who might be worth a chance on.

Based on there age and potential and premiership experiance I think a bare minimum of £12 million but more likely £15 million to get a possable chance of getting either.

A better option would be sigining a keeper from European League,But that has problems in he might not take to playing here,also a top keeper even from another European club wont be cheap.

I think almost everyone agrees about Pepes slide over past few seasons and he was so bad last year that he never made one premiership team of the week team.

He has to me appeared a bit more like his oldself recently,But I also have a feeling he has been on a downwood spiral for so long that he wont recover from it,especially if he stays here.

A new club might be what he needs to refire his desire and bring the best backout of him.

His value to me has dropped to much to be sold over here.

Spain is where he is still highly valued but who knows how long it will be like that over there.

If he under performs for rest of the season I think if we could get around £10 million for him from Spain then we should snap it up.

I think I would personally go for Mignolet with the cash as I think he would be a bit cheaper maybe than Vorm.

I can think of 3 premiership keepers all could become great keepers but there not yet and might not make it.

All 3 would cost us big and one of them in Foster I dont think would come here anyway.

The other two possables are Vorm who could become superb and Mignolet another who might be worth a chance on.

Based on there age and potential and premiership experiance I think a bare minimum of £12 million but more likely £15 million to get a possable chance of getting either.

A better option would be sigining a keeper from European League,But that has problems in he might not take to playing here,also a top keeper even from another European club wont be cheap.

I think almost everyone agrees about Pepes slide over past few seasons and he was so bad last year that he never made one premiership team of the week team.

He has to me appeared a bit more like his oldself recently,But I also have a feeling he has been on a downwood spiral for so long that he wont recover from it,especially if he stays here.

A new club might be what he needs to refire his desire and bring the best backout of him.

His value to me has dropped to much to be sold over here.

Spain is where he is still highly valued but who knows how long it will be like that over there.

If he under performs for rest of the season I think if we could get around £10 million for him from Spain then we should snap it up.

I think I would personally go for Mignolet with the cash as I think he would be a bit cheaper maybe than Vorm.

Yeah Vorm and Mignolet are obvious ones, then theres Begovic and possibly Krul and Al Habsi though not really convinced on the last 2.

Foster we can do a lot better than.

Steklenberg sounds good, im out of touch with the Euro leagues nowadays but it sounds like there are a few good ones out there, especially in Germany.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

All I want is somebody really massive, really good at stopping shots, with good distribution, and good command of the box on crosses. Along with world class reactions, brillant with their feet, and first class reading of the game.

Cheers.