Sign in to follow this  
NoelM

Local Concert Advice

Looking for some local help, Frightened Rabbit are playing the o2 academy in Liverpool on Saturday 23rd February. My 13 year old son is a big fan and is desperate to see them live and they allow 8-13 year olds in (to the o2) if they are accompanied by an adult. When FR come to Ireland they always play over 18 venues so it's impossible for him to go. What's the venue like, is it suitable?

Thanks DAgger they are one of the best live bands around at the moment, new album due in Feb and first samplers are excellent.

I've been the 02 plenty of times, but only for all adult gigs, so it's hard to say what it'll be like.

I've never seen any trouble there and I would imagine it'll be fine. Only problem I have in there is the price of the ale. About £4 for a can - yes, a can - of carling.

Never been to the Liverpool one, but the Academies are generally pretty well maintained venues because of the corporate sponsorship. There'll be plenty of places to watch and meet if you get split up and will mainly be filled with indie kids, so the main danger is being overwhelmed by pretension or him coming away a conceited douche.

Shouldn't be a problem.

Pretty basic set up, with the bar on one side of the venue & you go down a couple of steps to the main 'arena' . Been there a few times & it is pretty civilised ( Stranglers, Athlete & Glenn Tillbrook ) and never seen any hint of trouble.

Thanks for the advice guys, I've been to the academy in Dublin a few times and it's fine, prefer the smaller venues but when it's your kid civilised is better I think. To avoid him becoming a conceited douche I'll keep him close to me, a balding 40 something as a companion should keep his feet on the ground.