You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers Out

Red22

The exchange is with our attacking mid - in fact you can add up all our mids, including Gerrard if you want . we don't have an advanced midfield creative force and haven't in years. If you want to suggest SG could do that at the highest level in the league, that is fine.

Not Joe Allen and not Gerrard.

The last two points seem to be where you have missed it. Go back and review the games - we have been beat on set pieces and on breaks where we have more defenders than they have attackers. See WBA, or Arsenal, or Everton, or Tottenham or last week. If having 4 or 5 "internationals" on and/or around the ball while they have three asks too much defensively -- then we need some cloggers. I don't buy it. We have been outworked in front of their goal and in front of ours.

4 or 5 poorly organized internationals will be out-performed by 4 or 5 properly organized and deployed journeymen every day of the week.

Listen, I'm not saying Gerrard strolling around isn't a problem, or that Joe Allen bouncing off of players isn't a problem. But at this point those are known quantities that can and should have been addressed because they have been recurring.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Also pretty hilarious considering all of Rodgers signings put together cost less than Andy Carroll

I can barely believe some of the stuff I've read in this thread. That one, though, is right up there. It's Codesque in its level of nuttiness.

Code banging on about Hodgson like it's relevant is also high on the list. Apparently our point tally is totally unacceptable, but nothing was wrong in the second half of last season.

My favoutrite subject? WTF?

So its wrong of me to suggest a season where we actually won something under Rafa is better than a season we did not win anything now then?

Going by the logic presented to me here the season we won the CL under him was the worst season we had under him, after all we could be seen as jsut a cup team, we did finish 5th with 58 points in the league after all.

Its got nothing to do with Rafa for crying out loud, I would have put forward the exact same argument if Darren Ferguson or Mark Hughes was our manger the seasons in question.

People really need to get over their obsessions, it really cant be healthy.

Comedy gold this...

What calibre man could we attract? Can't go backwards - don't trot out Van Gaal or Capello either it isn't and wasn't ever on for that type.

I´m sure Clarke has a buy back clause in his contract, so we could easily bring him back in january, as well as Tom Ince too. And this is a strategy we could adopt going forward anyway. Not only send players on loan to gain experience, but managers also. Brendan could go to Stoke or some team which plays the game differently and gain valuable experience there. You see, it´s a bit of a problem if Swansea is the only team he can manage. We can´t affort to bring the whole Swansea squad over to Liverpool, although I´m sure it would lower the wage bill dramatically.

Got a text at 3 am from a Villa fan I know who lives in Oz.

Haven't heard from this rat in months and up he pops as soon as the whistle went.

Anyway this latest text was going on about us loaning Downing to Middlesborough.

I've heard nothing.

If true how much of his wages would we still be paying. Rodgers must have someone lined up if he is going out on loan.

Apparently our point tally is totally unacceptable, but nothing was wrong in the second half of last season.

Flipping that around, if it was wrong in the second half of last season then it's wrong now. Either Kenny should have been given more time or the new man is a flop. You can't have neither.

My personal feeling at the moment is that Rodgers is way out of his depth. Hopefully he can learn to swim though.

Flipping that around, if it was wrong in the second half of last season then it's wrong now. Either Kenny should have been given more time or the new man is a flop. You can't have neither.

Well, I felt that Kenny deserved more time, and I think that the sampling is too small for Rodgers to be labeled a flop.

SO THERE!

Animated+GIF+0042.gif

TRICKY, AREN'T I?

My personal feeling at the moment is that Rodgers is way out of his depth. Hopefully he can learn to swim though.

Of course Kenny should've been given more time, and so should Rodgers.

Guest davelfc
Of course Kenny should've been given more time, and so should Rodgers.

Without wanting to sound obvious, (and failing) that's the whole problem for me. We're being asked to give a man with so little experience, a philosophy that failed badly at Reading and who does appear at the moment to be out of his depth, something that the owners failed to give Kenny.

Do as I say and not as I do comes to mind, incredibly hypocritical.

Now I'm not stupid, I do realise that we can't just have a revolving door approach to appointing a manager as it costs a fortune and we'll undoubtedly lose players.

I don't think we're at the point where he should be sacked, I'm not calling for him to be sacked. But if at some later date it becomes apparent that he clearly isn't up to the job then something would have to be done.

Lucas is back from injury, we have a transfer window approaching. Any of the excuses that have been there should disappear, not that I am at the moment accusing Rogers of making excuses. But it will be far easier to judge when we actually have Borini back and a goalscorer purchased in the window.

I realise that Rogers wants time, all managers want time. This league doesn't allow you that much time and unless as Zig says he learns to swim, then it's not going to be pretty. Talking the talk only gets you so far and I think he's had excellent support from the fans so far.

Fulham, Stoke, QPR and Sunderland coming up. We had better pick up some decent points because we face after that both mancs and Arsenal away, and we were told the start of the season was bad.

What calibre man could we attract? Can't go backwards - don't trot out Van Gaal or Capello either it isn't and wasn't ever on for that type.

Would that be the Louis Van Gaal interviewed by Ayre in Spain and offered the sporting directors job but told Ayre he'd rather be the manager.

Or the Fabio Capello who let it be known by his agent and mouthpieces in the media that he'd be interested in the Liverpool job.

Those Van Gaal & Capello's, or some other ones?

Without wanting to sound obvious, (and failing) that's the whole problem for me. We're being asked to give a man with so little experience, a philosophy that failed badly at Reading and who does appear at the moment to be out of his depth, something that the owners failed to give Kenny.

Do as I say and not as I do comes to mind, incredibly hypocritical.

I don't disagree, mate, but he deserves time regardless of what happened to Kenny. There shouldn't even be a question of sacking a manager halfway through his first season. Unless he turns into Hodgson, and I don't think there's much chance of that happening.

He's a young talented coach with a clear plan and vision of what he wants the team to do. He deserves patience and time to be able to deliver that vision; even if Kenny wasn't afforded the same.

To be totally honest, I think the 05/06 was the best team we had under Rafa, so the answer is yes.

In 08/09 when English clubs were at their peak in Europe we were the only English club not to reach the semi finals, we were knocked out of the FA Cup in the 4th round by Everton and in the 4th round of the Carling Cup by Everton.

Our league finish in 08/09 did not really reflect the full story well as it was massively boosted by us taking 12 points from Utd and Chelsea and 14 points overall against the top 4 clubs compared to only 4 in the 05/06 season.

But finishing 2nd or 3rd basically means fuck all though and its forgotten 10 years down the line, finals and cup wins are not.

Rafa did not win anything after he had changed most of the squad to reflect his image, that is a fact and not really something that can be disputed.

the team we had in 09 is the best team we have had since 91, IMO. we put 4 past the mancs and real madrid in one week for fuck sake.

Guest davelfc
I don't disagree, mate, but he deserves time regardless of what happened to Kenny. There shouldn't even be a question of sacking a manager halfway through his first season. Unless he turns into Hodgson, and I don't think there's much chance of that happening.

He's a young talented coach with a clear plan and vision of what he wants the team to do. He deserves patience and time to be able to deliver that vision; even if Kenny wasn't afforded the same.

I can't disagree, but many have been disposed of before with equal claims. Not by us but that's the way it is and no amount of talking by us will change that.

As long as we can see improvement and he holds the confidence of the players then I think the fan base will grin and bear it.

But we're nowhere near having to make that kind of decision, I'm just worried that this is starting to look more and more like his Reading experience. Only this time he has much better quality players to work with.

Let's see who we buy in the window, how we manage then and how we fair over the next four games. Who knows if we make the right purchase in the window then those away games to the mancs and arsenal might surprise us.

Kenny wasn't young, so in theory you should not need patience for him to improve, unlike Rodgers (or a Lamber, Martinez) who are still learning, whether you feel that a manager should be learning with us is a different argument, but some would do well to revisit 88/89 and read about Bob Paisley's criticism of Kenny as a manager.

The fact is that we are not good, and we haven't been good since 2009 - we are improving though, and as is the way with teams that are improving along the way there are set backs, if we didn't have a Villa in us we wouldn't be sitting in 12th place, and we wouldn't have had the seasons that we have for the past 3.

Rafa was criticised heavily for his insistance upon controlling the match, his unwillingness to loosen the shackles, and attack so his sudden elevation to perfection is baffling. Hodgson was a disaster - Wolves, Blackburn in quick succession is what finished him off, that and his unwillingness to treat us with respect.

Edited by Whelan

Guest davelfc

The fact is that we are not good, and we haven't been good since 2009 - we are improving though, and as is the way with teams that are improving along the way there are set backs, if we didn't have a Villa in us we wouldn't be sitting in 12th place.

I'm not really seeing any improvement, in fact we've deteriorated badly considering the players we have available. I would say this current team is playing well below it's ability as it was last season. Only we can't beat anyone that isn't totally shit at the moment, which is pretty sad.

That transfer window is either an oasis or a mirage to a thirsty man.

No, of course. But he deserved time to right the wrongs from last season.

He did, regardless of whether you felt he would do anything with that time. But I felt that Rafa deserved a shot with owners who weren't parasites!

The fact is that Kenny has gone, and Rodgers is being hammered by Rafa fans, Kenny fans, and generic gobshites because we are not in the top four. If anything last season should serve as a warning that you don't judge a team by Christmas.

Guest davelfc

The fact is that Kenny has gone, and Rodgers is being hammered by Rafa fans, Kenny fans, and generic gobshites because we are not in the top four. If anything last season should serve as a warning that you don't judge a team by Christmas.

That's bollocks and you know it, very few fans expected us to leap into 4th. Quite a lot expected us to be better than what we currently are with the quality of players we have available.

The year before that is proof that you can judge a manager before xmas. See what I did there?

I'm not really seeing any improvement, in fact we've deteriorated badly considering the players we have available. I would say this current team is playing well below it's ability as it was last season. Only we can't beat anyone that isn't totally shit at the moment, which is pretty sad.

That transfer window is either an oasis or a mirage to a thirsty man.

Deteriorated badly from what?

That second half of last season that saw us display form that was just above relegation? That form that saw Wigan, Bolton, West Brom, Swansea, Sunderland, Newcastle beat us?

That squad that contains, a striker who scored 4 in the premiership, and a winger who had no assists and no goals?

The team that spent close to £70m in the summer to finish with one of our lowest totals for years?

That team has deteriorated!

That's bollocks and you know it, very few fans expected us to leap into 4th. Quite a lot expected us to be better than what we currently are with the quality of players we have available.

The year before that is proof that you can judge a manager before xmas. See what I did there?

Yeah but that manager was Hodgson, and he doesn't count.