You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I can just imagine Henry saying "Gee guys what the team needs is some Briits" and Kenny thinking "I' disagree, but ok then". Or Comolli saying, "Zut alors! Ou est les Rosbifs?"

I think the Financial Fair Play rule may play some role in all this. We are supposed to be bringing Sturridge and Walcott in this coming january, and both happen to be british, even if Kenny has left the building a long time ago. Is that a coincide ?

I think if you combine the FFP rules and Moneyball idealogy, the ideal player who you get is Andy Carroll.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Financial Fair Play rule may play some role in all this. We are supposed to be bringing Sturridge and Walcott in this coming january, and both happen to be british, even if Kenny has left the building a long time ago. Is that a coincide ?

I think if you combine the FFP rules and Moneyball idealogy, the ideal player who you get is Andy Carroll.

Nationality has nothing to do with FFP.

Walcott is not being credibly linked with us by anyone. His wages are likely to be too high, and he will want CL football, he is also a Southern Boy. Having an LFC duvet cover is neither here nor there.

Sturridge at a reported £12m/ 65k a week is no bargain.

The link between the two is their availability and their Pl experience not where they were born.

Carroll is the antithesis of FFP/moneyball. Triplesdwages on an uncontested move and a top ten world record transfer fee for someone with barely a years PL experience- it is the stuff of Abrahamovic/Mansour, not FFP.

I was in the car at lunchtime and listened to him for a bit. The part that struck me was

- "One word answer Damien; if you hadn't been at Liverpool would Suarez be there or not?"

- "No"

Is that true?

He is here now and that's all that matters.

If my aunt had balls she'd be, erm a tranny

Anyone seeking fuckwittery need look no further than your posts, by scrolling past yours they would miss nothing, other than a good laugh at your expense.

I am still chuckling at your hallucination that paying £35m for Carroll and tripling his wages was an FSG/ moneyball edict.

I can just imagine Henry saying "Gee guys what the team needs is some Briits" and Kenny thinking "I' disagree, but ok then". Or Comolli saying, "Zut alors! Ou est les Rosbifs?"

But keep them coming, I am enjoying this.:P

Who employed Comolli?

How did John Henry justify Carroll's price tag?

Was Dalglish caretaker manager at that point and how many days had he been in the job?

Dead easy questions there for you to answer.

I was in the car at lunchtime and listened to him for a bit. The part that struck me was

- "One word answer Damien; if you hadn't been at Liverpool would Suarez be there or not?"

- "No"

Is that true?

Is this the Suarez Kenny scouted when Hodgson was in charge, before Comolli was even appointed?

Bollocks.

Nationality has nothing to do with FFP.

Ok, thanks for the telling. I only read comic books, so how could I´ve known. I thought this home grown rule was part of the FFP rule. I guess it isn´t.

Carroll is the antithesis of FFP/moneyball. Triplesdwages on an uncontested move and a top ten world record transfer fee for someone with barely a years PL experience- it is the stuff of Abrahamovic/Mansour, not FFP.

Those bits and peaces I remember hearing from this moneyball thing, are things like "if you have a cap in your squad, it´s ok to pay over to odds and splash mega bucks to fill it", "buy young and coming players before they have made it", "paying big wages is ok, because teams that have the highest payroll are usually at the top" and then when we add to those the fixation to statistical analysis and that home grown rule, leave the decision making to someone like Comolli, we can easily see how we ended up with Carroll with the money he came. No ?

- "No"

I would have followed up immediately, while he was still sitting there with a smug grin, with:

"One word answer Damien; if you hadn't been at Liverpool, would Carroll have moved there or not?"

Ok, thanks for the telling. I only read comic books, so how could I´ve known. I thought this home grown rule was part of the FFP rule. I guess it isn´t.

Those bits and peaces I remember hearing from this moneyball thing, are things like "if you have a cap in your squad, it´s ok to pay over to odds and splash mega bucks to fill it", "buy young and coming players before they have made it", "paying big wages is ok, because teams that have the highest payroll are usually at the top" and then when we add to those the fixation to statistical analysis and that home grown rule, leave the decision making to someone like Comolli, we can easily see how we ended up with Carroll with the money he came. No ?

The rules regarding the proportion of home nationals in a squad have nothing to do with FFP.

Your interpretation of Moneyball is bewildering.

Your interpretation of Moneyball is bewildering.

Sorry about that. Maybe I got wrong idea about moneyball from articles like this:

5 Basic Steps to Moneyball Approach in Football Manager | Aid The Boss

1. Plug the Gaps

“Imagine that you’re a cost-conscious consumer who finds himself starving and without food in the middle of nowhere, with just one shop – and it sells overpriced food. You have the money, so do you choose to go hungry, or pay to fill the void? (in this case, in your stomach).” Quote from Tomkins Times

Many people mistake moneyball for getting players as on the cheap. Moneyball is not about this but about exploiting the market and playing it well. Before you can start implementing any of the other tactics you have to sort out your first team first and make sure that it is a competitive force. Using your resources effectively.

Spend the money to get your team to the place where the resources will allow you, work to build a competitive base before moving on to other aspects of the side.

Once you have got your side together you can risk you time on using the rest of your resources to find those bargain players who will go on to make a profit.