You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Absolutely no reason we shouldn't win this, comfortably too. This Villa side must be one of the most insignificant teams in the premier league in recent memory, I can't recall ever knowing so little about a Pl squad. Lambert is a decent, honest manager but these are the games Rodgers needs the team to stamp its authority on. Villa have scored only 12 goals this season, so the first goal is absolutely crucial, we can't give them something to hold onto. If we can score inside the first 30 minutes I see us pulling away, Suarez hasnt hit hte net for a while, I fully expect him to address that on Saturday and fancy Joe Allen to break his duck.

I'd love to think we'll batter relegation fodder.

We won't.

I'll take a last minute winner like them spawny cunts from down the M62. Doubt we'll get that either.

I really dislike Villa. Could be the fact the fans talk funny. Could be the hangover from the nightmare that is Stewart Downing. Who knows, but hate is there. And we rarely beat teams i really, really dislike. Therefore, im not holding out a great deal of hope.

1-1

Yep. We've seemingly got ourselves in a position to challenge for fourth, we're at home and we can look forward to our star player returning; I've seen this play before, it ends with us looking laboured for 70 minutes, some obscure journeyman scoring a wonder goal for them and us rescuing a point late.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 200 times or more, shame on me.

Yep. We've seemingly got ourselves in a position to challenge for fourth, we're at home and we can look forward to our star player returning; I've seen this play before, it ends with us looking laboured for 70 minutes, some obscure journeyman scoring a wonder goal for them and us rescuing a point late.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 200 times or more, shame on me.

You forgot the opposition keeper pulling out his performance of the season. Its like fucking groundhog day, that one.

I really dislike Villa. Could be the fact the fans talk funny.

A Villa season-ticket holding mate from work got me a ticket for the Xmas period game a few years ago. Catch was it was off someone he knew and not where he sits, so I had to venture into the Holte End on my tod in the middle of a snow globe and try to fly under the radar.

Throughout the match the two fat slugs in front of me constantly spent long periods discussing "the best way to murder Steven Gerrard". Spiking him through the eyes and watching him writhe in agony was one he got very excited about. It was like listening to Noddy Holder read the part of Patrick Bateman. Anytime either Stevie or Torres got the ball, the cry of "kill 'im", or "really 'uuuuuuurt 'iiim" went up. Bizarre it was, they all loved it.

When Torres scored the winner deep into injury time directly in front of us, I've never seen so many people leave an area so quickly. Like watching the stage filling up for a festival headline gig on sped-up rewind.

I can't get it right with Suarez when I have him as my captain he doesn't score, when I don't he does.

I'm not going to have him as my captain as I want us to win and Van Persie is just as likely to score usually.

Yeah, it's a tricky one, especially so this week. Villa and Sunderland seem equally shit. I'm going with Suarez for emotional reasons (probably my first mistake) and because he should be fresher.

1-0 Gerrard Pen! Surely we have to get given one eventually like its gone beyond ridiculous at this stage.

This.

Villa are a better team than some are saying, taking a 2 goal lead against united, even though losing Lambert is doing a job there, with youth.

That being said, I imagine Suarez will be hungry for game time and a goal or 4.

Rodgers should have talked about the non penalty last week and the penalty given against us. Get in the mind of the media and refs just like the drunk bastard does. For the love of God, even fat sam didn't think it merit a pen off Allen.

If we have a lead at half time, we could fill our boots akin to what City did, but that is a big if.

I hate games against villa the vast majority of times it's as boring as villa are as a club.

I don't mind Villa. There's bigger cunts to hate.

I remember the last home game in 2005 before we went to Istanbul, we played them off the park. Their fans weren't remotely arsed so they all decided to do the can can, around the Anny road.

I don't mind Villa. There's bigger cunts to hate.

I remember the last home game in 2005 before we went to Istanbul, we played them off the park. Their fans weren't remotely arsed so they all decided to do the can can, around the Anny road.

I was a steward at that game and the police advised us throw them out if they didn't stop it, which a head steward refused saying it would have turned a pleasant atmosphere into violent carnage. Not very clever the police. It was a horrendous game as I recall, Baros' performance the worst I have ever seen from a forward and I'm including Heskey in that.

Head down, run into defender, look shocked as defender tackles with ease, reorganise hair band, repeat.

I was a steward at that game and the police advised us throw them out if they didn't stop it' date=' which a head steward refused saying it would have turned a pleasant atmosphere into violent carnage. Not very clever the police. It was a horrendous game as I recall, Baros' performance the worst I have ever seen from a forward and I'm including Heskey in that.

Head down, run into defender, look shocked as defender tackles with ease, reorganise hair band, repeat.[/quote']

I'm sure they applauded when the kop was singing Istanbul.

It's good to have this kind of optimism bouncing round, I reckon the players will be full of confidence tomorrow and we will kick on. Hopefully be a good atmosphere, the Young Boys game was quiet, as was Southampton. Reckon we'll batter them 1-0.

On the late goals subject, Rogers is talking sense, maybe all those late manc goals aren't entirely lucky, if you play more offensively in the last 15 minutes and score it's rational that the opposition has less time to get a goal back. Maybe keeping a bit in our locker and not going out full on energy until near the end can work for us.

Liverpool improving after 'defining moment' says Brendan Rodgers

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers believes last weekend provided a “defining moment” which shows his side can compete with the best.

Trailing 2-1 to West Ham, having been a goal up, the Reds scored twice in the last 14 minutes to secure their first back-to-back Barclays Premier League wins for almost a year.

Sandwiched between was a crucial 1-0 victory over Udinese which ensured their passage into to the knockout stage of the Europa League and Rodgers sees progress.

"We reached another defining moment at the weekend against West Ham," he said.

"There's a golden period at the end of a game - the last 15 minutes - which the best teams can affect.

"When we were down we showed the spirit and fight we have in the group to come back and win the game.

"We showed that away at Udinese - to get through in a game that we had to win.

"The pressure on that game was that we had to win or get knocked out and we won the game and kept a clean sheet.

"We have little benchmarks that we're setting along the way. The best teams start quick and finish strong - we did that at the weekend.

"I'm pleased with how it's evolving - we're a long way off where I want us to be, of course, but we've shown we're making good progress.

"By all accounts, Liverpool have had a disastrous start, but we're four points off the top four and if we had a little bit more luck we actually could be in there now.

"The great encouragement is - we're only going to get better."

With the top four now tantalisingly within reach Rodgers hopes his side can take full advantage of a busy month to maintain their bid for Champions League qualification.

"I hope that we finish this year strongly," he added.

"We can then go into the next six months and push on, because that's when you take care of business and in particular the last 10 games.

"If we can arrive in January in and around that top four then we can really put our foot to the floor, when the confidence will be improved even more and players will be aligned with what we're trying to achieve.

"I believe we can have a good second half of the season."

Goalkeeper Brad Jones has signed a new contract after admitting he did not know whether he had a future at the start of the season.

However, having ably filled in for a month when Jose Reina was injured the Australia international has earned an extended stay - and the backing of Rodgers.

"When he came in I don't think he was too sure about whether I was going to stay or not and I had to prove to him I was worthy of being here," Jones told liverpoolfc.com.

"He was very honest with me at the start and said maybe things weren't going to work out.

"But he was then just as honest to come and say to me I'd done well and proved myself to him."

Liverpool improving after 'defining moment' says Brendan Rodgers - Premier League - Football - The Independent