You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Another PR success story

Randy Marsh

Embarrasing this.

EXCLUSIVE: Liverpool issue grovelling apology for tapping up Dempsey

By MARTIN SAMUEL

PUBLISHED: 23:10, 11 December 2012 | UPDATED: 10:45, 12 December 2012

Liverpool have made a grovelling apology to Fulham over the tapping-up of Clint Dempsey in the summer.

A statement from Fulham, expected today, will confirm that in return the club have dropped their complaint to the Premier League over the affair.

The peace deal came only after a personal visit by Liverpool co-owner Tom Werner to Craven Cottage chairman Mohamed Al Fayed was followed up by a letter from Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre admitting that the club’s behaviour ‘was wrong’ and ‘simply never should have occurred’.

The letter, sent last Friday, confirms that a meeting took place between Werner and Fayed, during which the former apologised for Liverpool’s actions regarding Dempsey last summer.

Fulham blame Liverpool for unsettling the player and creating the circumstances that led to his move to Tottenham on transfer-deadline day.

Ayre wrote: 'Please also consider this letter from me to be an additional expression of sincere regret and apology from our club to your club for our actions last summer. Our club can do better and we pledge that it will.'

Fulham’s official complaint followed a series of clumsy bulletins from Liverpool and their owners, the Fenway Sports Group. The first was an announcement on the FSG website that Liverpool had signed Dempsey from Fulham.

This was followed by an interview on the Liverpool website with manager Brendan Rogers, in which he talked of the USA forward in glowing terms.

Finally, pictures of Liverpool's new strip with Dempsey's name on the back were published.

The 29-year-old had been on a summer break in America when the FSG announcement was made, and Fulham’s complaint to the Premier League intimated that their relationship with the player who was last season’s top scorer had not recovered from that point.

Dempsey did not officially go on strike, but told Fulham he wanted to leave.

The club considered he was becoming a bad influence in the dressing room and he did not play a game for Fulham before signing for Tottenham.

Yes, that article by that fat cunt is embarrassing. Nothing 'grovelling' about it, we've apologised - simple as that.

Its better PR than being fined x amount of money and told off publicly.

But I agree this all could have been avoided if we didn't have a bunch of thick cunts running our club.

Exactly. Taping up happens all the time, we all know that.

But announcing it on a website and having shirts done up is a total embarassment which is easily avoided.

There is no grovelling in there for a start. Apology yes. Embarrassing yes.

Apart from the fact that we seem to apologise for an awful lot of things, there are a couple of instances described there which I don't get. Firstly, I've never heard or seen anything about the photos of shirts with Dempsey's name on the back. Secondly, Rodgers' answer in that interview seemed to be a general "he's a good player but we don't talk about other clubs' players" spiel, and exactly the sort of thing certain other managers are much more blatant about, without ever getting called on it. Certainly not an example of tapping up. Most of that particular interview was about the squad's pre-season preparations.

As far as I can see, the only stupid action was the person or persons who authorised the Dempsey signing story on the NESN website. There was never anything on Liverpool's own website.

Exactly. Taping up happens all the time, we all know that.

But announcing it on a website and having shirts done up is a total embarassment which is easily avoided.

I think the former is due to some absolute nobjockey working for a media station ran by them in america. I doubt it came from anybody official - just a yank trying to write a good article about soccer.

The latter never happened. Nobody had shirts done up - its absolute bullshit and I'd expect as much from this fat cunt writing the article. The shirts were photoshopped by a fan - probably at that nuthouse RAWK - and started circling on twitter. Theres nothing Liverpool could have done about that, to be honest.

But having owners coming out saying how much they'd love to sign Dempsey is stupid. Stupid fucking owners.

Martin Samuel is the Chief Football writer for the Daily Mein Kampf, so quite why he is adding his name to shitty little asides like that is anybody's guess!

Although anybody's guess would probably be that he is a fat bitter cockney cunt. We apologised a while ago, yet nothing has been said - so it wasn't grovelling - it was sorry but lets not be stupid here. Love to know where he got his information from - I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't from Fulham!

Which would mean another source leaking this type of information!

I thought the official site had the Dempsey shirts when you went to pre-order the away. I seem to remember you could select Dempsey as a name and there was already a squad number assigned. It was up for a couple of hours before it got pulled.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that I've imagined the whole thing though. Anyone else remember?

I heard that someone working on the NESN website saw an article in the Mail saying we'd signed Dempsey and ran the story. That's how that shit happened, it had nothing to do with anyone at LFC although it's obviously embarrassing as our owners own the website. Funny seeing Bluto putting the boot into us and saying fuck all about the bullshit story in his own paper that set events in motion. Big fat prick.

There is no grovelling in there for a start. Apology yes. Embarrassing yes.

Apart from the fact that we seem to apologise for an awful lot of things, there are a couple of instances described there which I don't get. Firstly, I've never heard or seen anything about the photos of shirts with Dempsey's name on the back. Secondly, Rodgers' answer in that interview seemed to be a general "he's a good player but we don't talk about other clubs' players" spiel, and exactly the sort of thing certain other managers are much more blatant about, without ever getting called on it. Certainly not an example of tapping up. Most of that particular interview was about the squad's pre-season preparations.

As far as I can see, the only stupid action was the person or persons who authorised the Dempsey signing story on the NESN website. There was never anything on Liverpool's own website.

Exactly. Where is the 'tapping up' here?

Samuel disingenuously calls it the FSG 'website' rather than the NESN website which is owned by FSG but not edited by them.I doubt if Henry or Werner called NESN and told them to print.

As you say the Rodgers interview was nothing by for instance Harry Redknapp's bog standards.

They've just decided to let the club take it up the arse again because we don't want any more 'trouble'.

Not the first time we've ended up apologising for something for which there was no case to answer in the first place.

How much shite was reported on Sky's website when they owned shares in United? It is a bollocks story - and despite Samuel's attempts, one that has been dealt with as it should have been, behind closed doors.

My only worry is - where did Samuel get this information from? I don't think it was Fulham, was it the FA leaking this information?

Martin Samuel hates us. Absolutely loathes Liverpool. There's a snide dig in nearly every article he writes (and this isn't even mentioning the Suarez-Terry fat-fuck-flip-flop he performed over that issue). Whether it's sticking up for Lampard and thus denigrating Gerrard in the process, making sure we get first mention in articles describing loutish fan behaviour (as of an article this week), or offering up outrageously arrogant 'apologies' when Spirit of Shankly pulled him up on something he wrote, you can just sense the disdain dripping from his articles (as well as lard and various leftover pieces of cheese).

The only thing that makes me smile when it comes to Martin Samuel and Liverpool, is thinking how he must have felt in 2006 when Gerrard's bullet sent the FA Cup Final into extra-time, costing his beloved West Ham a chance of glory. I bet he almost exploded.

Everytime I see something written by Martin Samuel it makes me angrier and angrier. I just want to punch the fucking pig straight in the jaw. He always seems to have an opinion on Liverpool, and it's rarely positive. People bring up a good point, where DID he get that information? Did one of his higher ups find out about it?

What's Ayre doing writing a letter of apology?

Normally he gets the manager or striker to do it......

I bet he sent it on Harley Davidson headed note paper, written in green crayon.

Martin Samuel is quickly rising up my cunt charts. Currently in 5th place, behind Kelvin MacKenzie, The Royal Family, George Best and The Mancs.

From March 2011

Sportsmail's Martin Samuel scooped the coveted Sports Writer of the Year prize at the Sports Journalists' Association awards.

The Daily Mail's Chief Sports Writer picked up the award at the annual SJA awards dinner in London on Monday night, beating several rivals to the prestigious title.

It is the fourth time Samuel has won the John Bromley Trophy.

One judge said: 'No one in British journalism can forensically dissect an issue as brilliantly.

'His prodigious output always comes dripping in insight, intelligence and an instinct for justice.'

When you are able to outgun Paddy Barclay Oliver Alice band Holt, Rob Beasley and the other specials that is quite an achievement.

Guest San Don

I got as far as martin samuel aka fat bastard.

It only got the publicity it did because al fayed saw a chance to stick the boot into a big club.

It was a non story and as others have pointed out ferguson does and has done far worse (intercepting Berbatov on his way to city was it for a medical) and not one fucking word of tapping up.

Martin Samuel hates us. Absolutely loathes Liverpool. There's a snide dig in nearly every article he writes (and this isn't even mentioning the Suarez-Terry fat-fuck-flip-flop he performed over that issue). Whether it's sticking up for Lampard and thus denigrating Gerrard in the process, making sure we get first mention in articles describing loutish fan behaviour (as of an article this week), or offering up outrageously arrogant 'apologies' when Spirit of Shankly pulled him up on something he wrote, you can just sense the disdain dripping from his articles (as well as lard and various leftover pieces of cheese).

The only thing that makes me smile when it comes to Martin Samuel and Liverpool, is thinking how he must have felt in 2006 when Gerrard's bullet sent the FA Cup Final into extra-time, costing his beloved West Ham a chance of glory. I bet he almost exploded.

Quality. Repped.