You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The greatest striker I have ever seen. BAR NONE.

Rushy just never ever missed.

For about 5 years Southall was probably the best goalie in Europe, but Rushy just had him in his pocket. It was just so easy to score past him...at least he always made it seem so. Always.

And he always did it in the big games too, without even breaking sweat.

Not only the greatest striker I've ever seen, not only better than Van Basten, Shearer, Papin et al, but Rushy was head and shoulders above those others.

If Rushy had have played in international tournaments and if we hadn't been banned from Europe for 5 years then his renown and his rightful recognition would be unparalelled.

Oh, and Rushy LOVES our club, he absolutely loves Liverpool.

With your indulgence, a true story :

The day of the 2001 UEFA Cup Final in Dortmund, and after an afternoon spent drinking 12% banana lager in the pub opposite the Westfallenstadion, one hour before kick off and the sun fianally decides to come out.

Pissed and tired, but buoyed with PMT ahead of my first European final we decide to head out and soak up some rays and some atmosphere.

Stood with my back to the stadium, 30 yards to my right I saw this lithe figure dressed in a sharp black suit, heading swiftly in my direction; I turned to my mate Kev The Ripper and said, "Ripper...it's The Legend !"

Anyway, the way The Ripper tells it is that he looked to his right and saw my hero Ian Rush just literally feet away from us. The Ripper then looked left, back towards me but by this time I was on my knees with my hands in the air, mid-worship mode.

I grabbed Rushy's leg and looked up at him, tears of unbridalled joy streaming down my cheeks, and I said to Rushy, "Rushy mate, over the years you've given me more pleasure than any woman ever could...and I'm no chutney ferret pal."

To which The Legend laughed, brushed my hands aside, patted me on the shoulder and warmly instructed me, "Get up you daft cunt.". He then swiftly breezed into the stadium; the familiar refrain of, "He kicks the ball, he scores a goal..." ringing in his ears.

A 5-4 victory and a UEFA Cup later, thus ended one of the greatest days in my life.

True story that.

Ian Rush : love the man. Love him

Great post mate

• 1 year later...

I was there when He Scored Four and at that Friday night Villa game but the one that sticks out for me was at home to Watford in about 83. Kop end through ball from Dalglish. Keeper left standing, couldn't move. Have tried to find it on youtube but happy just to keep the memories of what I saw.

• Upvote 1

I was there when He Scored Four and at that Friday night Villa game but the one that sticks out for me was at home to Watford in about 83. Kop end through ball from Dalglish. Keeper left standing, couldn't move. Have tried to find it on youtube but happy just to keep the memories of what I saw.

The greatest hattrick I ever saw...until Suarez vs Norwich this season at Anfield.

• 3 months later...

I can always remember going to the derby at woodison with my mate who is a bitter. Was in the Gwladys Street end with the bitter cunts.

To this day I have never seen a player who was so feared by opposition fans as Rush was to the bitters. They all knew he would score against them every game. They had a serious complex about him each and every one of them.

The greatest striker I have seen at exploiting the offside trap, he was hardly ever  offside as his timing of his run s was truly remarkable.

His pace was blistering and if you watch the video the goal at 2.30 mins against city shows just what a hard working and als how fast he was. He wins the ball in our area and starts the move off.

• Upvote 3

The greatest striker I have ever seen. BAR NONE.

Rushy just never ever missed.

For about 5 years Southall was probably the best goalie in Europe, but Rushy just had him in his pocket. It was just so easy to score past him...at least he always made it seem so. Always.

And he always did it in the big games too, without even breaking sweat.

Not only the greatest striker I've ever seen, not only better than Van Basten, Shearer, Papin et al, but Rushy was head and shoulders above those others.

If Rushy had have played in international tournaments and if we hadn't been banned from Europe for 5 years then his renown and his rightful recognition would be unparalelled.

Oh, and Rushy LOVES our club, he absolutely loves Liverpool.

With your indulgence, a true story :

The day of the 2001 UEFA Cup Final in Dortmund, and after an afternoon spent drinking 12% banana lager in the pub opposite the Westfallenstadion, one hour before kick off and the sun fianally decides to come out.

Pissed and tired, but buoyed with PMT ahead of my first European final we decide to head out and soak up some rays and some atmosphere.

Stood with my back to the stadium, 30 yards to my right I saw this lithe figure dressed in a sharp black suit, heading swiftly in my direction; I turned to my mate Kev The Ripper and said, "Ripper...it's The Legend !"

Anyway, the way The Ripper tells it is that he looked to his right and saw my hero Ian Rush just literally feet away from us. The Ripper then looked left, back towards me but by this time I was on my knees with my hands in the air, mid-worship mode.

I grabbed Rushy's leg and looked up at him, tears of unbridalled joy streaming down my cheeks, and I said to Rushy, "Rushy mate, over the years you've given me more pleasure than any woman ever could...and I'm no chutney ferret pal."

To which The Legend laughed, brushed my hands aside, patted me on the shoulder and warmly instructed me, "Get up you daft cunt.". He then swiftly breezed into the stadium; the familiar refrain of, "He kicks the ball, he scores a goal..." ringing in his ears.

A 5-4 victory and a UEFA Cup later, thus ended one of the greatest days in my life.

True story that.

Ian Rush : love the man. Love him

Nice to know he's still slotting them in.............

Wonder if he wears a Liverpool shirt when he's balls deep in it ?

If ever he runs out of stamina he gets her to put an 80's everton goalie top then slots her for days on end

• Upvote 2

I always remember my old man banging on about Ian Rush was not that good. 200+ goals later and he still swore over his pint that he was a lucky striker.

I loved him just cause he trolled my dad by scoring.