You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great photo Col. I love Ian Rush too. Top player who was relentless when it came to scoring. Some good points have been made in this thread about Rushy being underrated. I remember my Everton mates telling me Lineker was better, and there was some debate around the time, with the majority of the country backing the England man. I liked Lineker. He was never a whiner, and even when he got clattered he got back up and got on with it. I think he never got a yellow card and obviously scored a lot of goals. I never had any problem with him at all. A very good player.

But Rush was on a higher level again. If he were English then Lineker would have been a footnote in England folklore, or a useful inside right or whatever. But never a centre forward. Not in the same team as Rush.

In later years I have noticed a lot of reds have placed Fowler above Rush in the all time pecking order of talented strikers we've had. Don't get me wrong, I love Robbie Fowler, and wish we had a goalscorer of his ilk today. But Rush was the better player to my eyes.

Ian Rush. World class. Legend. 346 reasons why.

• Upvote 1

I loved him. I thought when he was on the pitch, we could never lose. Even if we went behind, if he had the ball, we'd nick it. It sounds cliched, but he defended from the front, and he made scoring look easy. I can't remember when he wasn't winning the golden boot. I was baffled by his transfer to Juventus and I never thought it possible to replace him. He was probably underrated because he wasn't on the European stage or internationally renowned with Wales. I loved him though.

Not the most original thread but I'm in work on my bill so indulge me.

The first Liverpool player I loved, between him and Fowler for my favourite ever red. He was a gent too, quietly spoken, ultimate pro - his style made the 'spice boys' behaviour even harder to stomach back then.

Like Fowler, he was just guaranteed goals and when the shit hit the fan you knew he'd deliver. I still remember the feeling in the 89 final when his winner went in two minutes after that ginger haircut on legs.

Ian Rush, the blueshite's Van Helsing since 1980.

Gladiator, I salute you.

Liverpool-Everton-Ian-Rush-FA-Cup-Final-1989-Wembley+cropped

FUCKOFF!

Ian is half the reason I am Red to this day..Ian Rush was the best ever in my life time. I really enjoyed reading his book too, one of the better autobiography. Ian you were the true no. 9

Ian Rush is and always will be my hero.

And if there is any chance you are reading this , thanks for all the memories .

There's a question , does anyone know if any of the ex players ever drop in on the site ?

Whatever about the past one's I hope the present fella's don't. They'd be scarred for life.

The best centre forward ever, he didnt miss.

Muller, Van Basten, both great players, but Rush was brilliant, the best centre forward I ever saw bar none. If Abramovich paid £50m for Torres he would have to find about £200m for Rush, thats how much better he was, and probably still is.

• Upvote 1

Great photo Col. I love Ian Rush too. Top player who was relentless when it came to scoring. Some good points have been made in this thread about Rushy being underrated. I remember my Everton mates telling me Lineker was better, and there was some debate around the time, with the majority of the country backing the England man. I liked Lineker. He was never a whiner, and even when he got clattered he got back up and got on with it. I think he never got a yellow card and obviously scored a lot of goals. I never had any problem with him at all. A very good player.

But Rush was on a higher level again. If he were English then Lineker would have been a footnote in England folklore, or a useful inside right or whatever. But never a centre forward. Not in the same team as Rush.

In later years I have noticed a lot of reds have placed Fowler above Rush in the all time pecking order of talented strikers we've had. Don't get me wrong, I love Robbie Fowler, and wish we had a goalscorer of his ilk today. But Rush was the better player to my eyes.

Ian Rush. World class. Legend. 346 reasons why.

Agree with all of that Rev, especially the part in bold.

I was too young to see him the 80s, but enjoyed his twilight years in the early 90s as Fowler was coming through. They had a great partnership for a couple of years under Roy Evans and 94/95 was one of my favourite seasons, with one of my favourite Liverpool goals:

[YOUTUBE]5Mh8TmHFh5E[/YOUTUBE]

It was great seeing the experience of Rush alongside an 18 year old kid. Fowler was always going to make it, but I don't think he'd have been half the player if he'd have not had someone so experienced to play alongside.

The guy was & will always be a total legend ive brought my lad up on tales of the goals he scored the hat trick at Villa is there a better one the pitch was frozen only went ahead cos it was live on bbc , my particular favourite where against Steaua Bucharest two crackin finishes but the guy scored goals for fun , would be worth an absoulute fortune in todays game

• Upvote 1

He's similar to Müller, in that the numbers are absolutely astonishing, but people don't like using pure numbers in "best ever" arguments, so they get overlooked.

But when you look at the numbers, it's true what they said. It was like starting a goal up. There's not many players you can say that about thesedays.

Barnes, Beardsley and Molby where my first favourites as a kid and Barnes was always the one I totally idolised. Kind of took Rush for granted because he always scored, it was just normal.

Lineker was a really good striker but not in the same league as Rush. The "it was like starting a goal up" analogy pretty much sums him up, never doubted that we could get a goal with him in the side. Wish we had someone like that now.

I think both he and Beardsley have generally speaking never received the level of recognition that they should have.

One thing I've noticed in recent years, which was also mentioned as something Messi does in the Messi thread. The little dink over the keeper when the keeper comes out, Rushie did it, Aldo did it, Lineker did it but it seems to have completely died out these days other than Messi.

Remember when I was about 8/9 (1988/89), I was at this Sunday school for the first time with a couple of friends who went and instead of listening to whatever the girl was saying, I drew a picture of Ian Rush. She caught me like and asked if I was drawing a picture of her, to which I replied, "No, it's Ian Rush". I think she was a bit pissed off.

My favorite ever player, reading all this brings home how much I miss him, if we had him in the team now or even last season his mate Kenny would still be in a job and if we had him now we'd be in the top 4 that's how good he was!

I was drunk here and I was underating Rush myself I ment to say we'd be playing CL footy this season with Kenny still in charge and we'd be up there with both manc clubs this season, that's how good he was!