You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

14 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

If you're listing players from the 1980s who would be up against Rush for the Top 10, then I'd add:

VanBasten

Stoichkov

Klinsmann

Voller 

Linekar

With a bit of time I'd have a god think and list a belt more.

Some of those names on that list were probably (definitely in some cases) better all round footballers, but if I needed someone from that era to score a goal to save my life it would be Ian Rush.

To be fair I think I’m still living on if Van Basten is through on goal but I’d still take Rushy in a game of goal scorer roulette. 

4 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Voller and Van Basten, Lineker was not as good as Rush, Stoichkov and Klinnsman only really came to the top table in the mid 80s.

Us having to think so much tells it’s own story. In that period Rush was in the best handful.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, Rush was brilliant.  I always get a wee bee in my bonnet when people talk about 'best in the world' because they usually haven't really thought it through.  It's like how the British media always questions how their Golden Generation of the mid-2000s didn't win anything, but then they never seem to bother looking at just how bloody good Spain, Brazil, Germany, Italy, etc were too.

Controversial shout time though - I THINK I might have Linekar ahead of Rush. Linekar was absolutely sensational on top form.  I'm highlighting I THINK, because I could easily flip-flop on that one.

And to finally say, this started out as the best strikers of all time, and I think Rush struggles to get in that top 10.  But even being top 20 in that category is absolutely sensational.  And he's definitely top 20. I think.

29 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, Rush was brilliant.  I always get a wee bee in my bonnet when people talk about 'best in the world' because they usually haven't really thought it through.  It's like how the British media always questions how their Golden Generation of the mid-2000s didn't win anything, but then they never seem to bother looking at just how bloody good Spain, Brazil, Germany, Italy, etc were too.

Controversial shout time though - I THINK I might have Linekar ahead of Rush. Linekar was absolutely sensational on top form.  I'm highlighting I THINK, because I could easily flip-flop on that one.

And to finally say, this started out as the best strikers of all time, and I think Rush struggles to get in that top 10.  But even being top 20 in that category is absolutely sensational.  And he's definitely top 20. I think.

Both were fantastic but Rush was better than Lineker. Rush could do everything that Lineker could and quite a bit more.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Both were fantastic but Rush was better than Lineker. Rush could do everything that Lineker could and quite a bit more.

Yeah, that's a fair comment.  I see it the other way to be honest as I think Linekar was better at making a goal out of a worse ball, but it's so close I'm happy to concede.  They were both brilliant though.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Yeah, that's a fair comment.  I see it the other way to be honest as I think Linekar was better at making a goal out of a worse ball, but it's so close I'm happy to concede.  They were both brilliant though.

Without doubt. That said, I’m not sure either of them make the top 10 strikers of all time.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Without doubt. That said, I’m not sure either of them make the top 10 strikers of all time.

Absolutely

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Of all time - both struggle to get into a top 20.

Probably

4 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Not sure about top 20 but possibly. In terms of English strikers, Greaves and possibly Shearer were better than Lineker.

Shearer better than Rush (and Linekar) in my opinion.

Greaves stats are amazing.  I never saw him play though so I can't compare, but people who have claim he was one of the very very best.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Absolutely

Probably

Shearer better than Rush (and Linekar) in my opinion.

Greaves stats are amazing.  I never saw him play though so I can't compare, but people who have claim he was one of the very very best.

I’ve only seen videos, obviously, but my Dad has been watching live footy since the 1950s and rates him as the best British striker he has seen. Good enough for me, like.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’ve only seen videos, obviously, but my Dad has been watching live footy since the 1950s and rates him as the best British striker he has seen. Good enough for me, like.

Yea, alot depends on how you go about rating players from well back - Puskas, Di Stefano and the like.

Also on whether you are talking about pure strikers or forwards - Maradona, Platini, even Bergkamp.

John Charles?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, alot depends on how you go about rating players from well back - Puskas, Di Stefano and the like.

Also on whether you are talking about pure strikers or forwards - Maradona, Platini, even Bergkamp.

John Charles?

John Charles is one that my Dad always mentions and my Grandfather waxed lyrical about.

I mentioned Law earlier in the thread.

3 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Nah, I don't think he is.  He was brilliant for us, and his record will stand the test of time. He's top 10 for us I believe, but when you start including strikers from other clubs and times then he's a good bit down the list.  That doesn't diminish how good he was, he's just not top 10 in the world ever, for example.

I see where you’re coming from but would disagree, even allowing for any bias on my side, he’s massively underrated in my opinion. 

You even have reds (and not just youngsters) who rate Owen and Fowler as better. 

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

I see where you’re coming from but would disagree, even allowing for any bias on my side, he’s massively underrated in my opinion. 

You even have reds (and not just youngsters) who rate Owen and Fowler as better. 

Those that rate Fowler as better are basing it on what he likely would have been without the early injury. 

I have no doubt he would have broke Rush record for goals. The ACL injury in 97 fucked him. Nearly 130 career goals and only 22. 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think you have to credit Rush with some of Fowler's early form as he changed roles to allow Fowler to be the main striker and Rush did more donkey work pressuring defenders and allowing Fowler the spaces.

Wow 

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Those that rate Fowler as better are basing it on what he likely would have been without the early injury. 

I have no doubt he would have broke Rush record for goals. The ACL injury in 97 fucked him. Nearly 130 career goals and only 22. 

Rush had far more to his game than Fowler ever did. 

• Upvote 1