You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Right, here's a challenge for you all.

Given how the Mancs love to feed us every Christmas, I think it's only right that we return the charity to them.

Pick two players from the 80s team and two from the 90s (at their current age) to go 7 currrent players for the Manc game on Sunday. A lot of our 80s stalwarts played in the 90s so they can count in either era.

It might make it more of a contest and it would be interesting seeing what teams we get.

I really like Nunez but I can tell you Rushy is one of my wild card picks. Even at 61 or 62, I reckon he could score two on Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Just lately, in light of Salah's achievement in reaching 200, it's really come into focus just how phenomenal Rushie's goalscoring exploits were. 

After everything Mo's done he'd need to another 75 percent of his current tally to get to Rush.

How the fuck did he do it? Be so prolific for so long.

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, Chris said:

Just lately, in light of Salah's achievement in reaching 200, it's really come into focus just how phenomenal Rushie's goalscoring exploits were. 

After everything Mo's done he'd need to another 75 percent of his current tally to get to Rush.

How the fuck did he do it? Be so prolific for so long.

To be fair to Salah he has so far played exactly half of the number of games Rush did for us but has scored well over half the amount of goals Rush did.

If he manages to play as many games as Rush did - highly unlikely now mind - he'd outscore Rush I reckon - and that is taking nothing away from Rush by the way - his record was incredible.

Rush clocked 15 seasons with us - would have been 16 had he not spent a year in Italy and probably another 30 goals!

Salah is in his 7th now.

Would be interesting to see if Salah clocked up 5 more seasons after this one with us to make 12 in total if that would see him beat Rush.

He is currently 144 shy.....lets say he hits another 14 in the half a season left of this one that would take him to 30 for season (pretty much dead on what he has been hitting last few seasons) that would leave 130 over 5 seasons to get - 26 a season....and if he managed that he'd do match Rush in 3 seasons fewer.

As i say unlikely now mind.....both have fucking incredible records!

6 hours ago, an tha said:

To be fair to Salah he has so far played exactly half of the number of games Rush did for us but has scored well over half the amount of goals Rush did.

If he manages to play as many games as Rush did - highly unlikely now mind - he'd outscore Rush I reckon - and that is taking nothing away from Rush by the way - his record was incredible.

Rush clocked 15 seasons with us - would have been 16 had he not spent a year in Italy and probably another 30 goals!

Salah is in his 7th now.

Would be interesting to see if Salah clocked up 5 more seasons after this one with us to make 12 in total if that would see him beat Rush.

He is currently 144 shy.....lets say he hits another 14 in the half a season left of this one that would take him to 30 for season (pretty much dead on what he has been hitting last few seasons) that would leave 130 over 5 seasons to get - 26 a season....and if he managed that he'd do match Rush in 3 seasons fewer.

Remember also that Rush played instraight knock out European ties rather than endless group games,sometimes against no hopers. Rush played in a few games against no hopers but at least they were often champions of their countries. He also played in non European seasons after the ban.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, an tha said:

Salah is in his 7th now.

nice post. I suppose it also comes down to the fact Mo was still very much finding his feet as a player into his mid 20s where as Rushy probably had more than 100 of his goals by then. Incredible longevity. Mo has a chance to play at the top level for longer than Rush did, but probably not with us. 

Hope I’m wrong. Cant believe there are people saying we should cash in on him.

And what? Buy another Nunez, Gakpo or Diaz. We’re whiffing on big signings at the moment and I don’t have any faith that selling Mo would lead to automatically getting a new younger Mo. Fuck that. 

Anyway. This is about Rushie. What a man. 

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

And Daphne from Eggheads.

Daphne Fowler, Game Show Queen - BuzzerBlog BuzzerBlog | Your Game Show  News Source

'...And the next question, Daphne: Which hip hop band was associated with lyrics that the underground fanzine Mi-Patwa-Aye described as so bleeping bleeped-up a duck should be bleeping them out of its bleep'?

'Oh, ha-ha-ha, I really have no idea, oh goodness me, ha-hah-ha...'

'I need an answer, Daphne'.

'Oh, ha-ha-ha, oh, I don't know...oh, let me just say...The Pharcyde?'

'That is the correct answer!' How DO you do it??'

The woman was a fraud!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Chris said:

nice post. I suppose it also comes down to the fact Mo was still very much finding his feet as a player into his mid 20s where as Rushy probably had more than 100 of his goals by then. Incredible longevity. Mo has a chance to play at the top level for longer than Rush did, but probably not with us. 

Hope I’m wrong. Cant believe there are people saying we should cash in on him.

And what? Buy another Nunez, Gakpo or Diaz. We’re whiffing on big signings at the moment and I don’t have any faith that selling Mo would lead to automatically getting a new younger Mo. Fuck that. 

Anyway. This is about Rushie. What a man. 

The consummate goalscorer.