You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

31 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Rush had far more to his game than Fowler ever did. 

And Fowler could score goals Rush never could. He also didn't play with Kenny and the great teams of the 80s. 

Rush was fucking brilliant I just don't agree with you only van Basten and Ronaldo where better 

On 20/03/2018 at 19:34, skaro said:

Rush and Barnes.

In the top 10 of LFC's all-time.

Maybe even top 5.

Hard to separate them.

I'd give it to Barnes, by a very very emasculated bee's dick... based purely on my personal preference and the swooning memory of my actually being at the ground, on the Kop, right behind the woodwork the ball came down off, for this goal (around 21:35)....

If I had to show my children one clip of John Barnes, it would be in the 1990 season vs Spurs where he leaps 7 foot in the air to control the ball on his chest and then hits a volley before the ball hits the ground, which Thorsdvedt makes a great save.

Unbelievable physical and technical feat.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

If I had to show my children one clip of John Barnes, it would be in the 1990 season vs Spurs where he leaps 7 foot in the air to control the ball on his chest and then hits a volley before the ball hits the ground, which Thorsdvedt makes a great save.

Unbelievable physical and technical feat.

I'd just arrived in London then, and was still waiting for my Season Ticket to arrive in the post. 

I was living above a pub, and the pub was shut of a Sunday afternoon - the landlord/publican was in a shit mood and wouldn't let us go downstairs to watch the game on the pub telly, so I never saw that incident.  

Read a description about it in the Mirror the next day ("salmon-like") and have regretted not seeing it ever since.

So thanks for the clip!

• 5 months later...

Jesus, imagine them together

Rush, who is comfortably the Reds' all-time leading goalscorer having netted 346 times for the Reds, posted two pictures on the social media site of himself and Maradona together wishing a "happy 60th birthday to one of the greatest!"

Underneath his post, the former striker posted quotes he had given in a previous interview about Maradona.

They read: "Diego Maradona was the best player I played against. Juventus beat Napoli at home, and I scored, but then we went to Napoli, and they beat us 3-1 and I thought he was an absolute genius.

"He was so good he didn't even need to look at the ball, he was just looking at these tackles flying in and riding them, manipulating the ball away from danger, it was a joy to watch.

"Napoli wanted to sign me to play with him after the 1983-4 season, but Liverpool were having none of it.”

More than 30,000 people have liked the post at the time of writing and Maradona himself replied to Rush too.

The Argentinian genius, who lit up the pitch with a ball at his feet, wrote: "I would have loved to play by your side.

"We would have made an unstoppable tandem. Thank you very very much Ian.

"All my respect and admiration for you my friend!!! Btw I love these pictures."

• Upvote 2

• 11 months later...
On 08/12/2012 at 10:07, Section_31 said:

Not the most original thread but I'm in work on my bill so indulge me.

The first Liverpool player I loved, between him and Fowler for my favourite ever red. He was a gent too, quietly spoken, ultimate pro - his style made the 'spice boys' behaviour even harder to stomach back then.

Like Fowler, he was just guaranteed goals and when the shit hit the fan you knew he'd deliver. I still remember the feeling in the 89 final when his winner went in two minutes after that ginger haircut on legs.

Ian Rush, the blueshite's Van Helsing since 1980.

Gladiator, I salute you.

Liverpool-Everton-Ian-Rush-FA-Cup-Final-1989-Wembley+cropped

FUCKOFF!

• 1 year later...
42 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I didn't know about this. Apparently he had the chance to play for TNS in 2005.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-legend-almost-came-out-25801291 

I can remember either reading or hearing something about it at the time but assumed it was just clickbait. 

• 11 months later...