You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

7 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I remember one time he was working as a pundit on a Derby match. The commentator said something about "you scored 25 goals against Everton" to which Rushie chipped in "26 - I got one for Newcastle, too."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-rush-goal-rubs-salt-into-evertons-wounds-1136836.html

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I remember one time he was working as a pundit on a Derby match. The commentator said something about "you scored 25 goals against Everton" to which Rushie chipped in "26 - I got one for Newcastle, too."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-rush-goal-rubs-salt-into-evertons-wounds-1136836.html

Haha that Newcastle goal was great, set up by John Barnes? 

9 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Think I may have said before,

In the stand for the 5-0, everyone time we scored some bird got her tits out, stunning piece of work. Back up to Sandon to meet some blues I worked with, they where fuckin devastated

I saw that,well my mate did,i was too busy watching the game and didnt believe him. Was in the Enclosure that day.

• Upvote 1

Not long afre I moved down here we played Southampton in the Semi at White Hart Lane. I went on a coach with their fans and got abuse, friendly I think, from some recognised me from a 5 a side tournament, so walked down the side of the pitch to get in our end. 

A bit nervy towards 90 mins, but Rush done the job in extra time and Everton awaited in the Final. 

Fuckin' made up and it was hard to keep the grin on my face coming back, though I did feel sorry for them.

Never made the final because some cunt bus driver from Swindon wouldn't part with his ticket, free from the Bus Co allocations, to me or our Jim, who's a bitter. So because of that fuckkn' knob I missed Rushie doing the job again on a day of all days back then.

Great finisher, player. 

12 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Criminally underrated. 

I fucking love Rushie. 

Nah, I don't think he is.  He was brilliant for us, and his record will stand the test of time. He's top 10 for us I believe, but when you start including strikers from other clubs and times then he's a good bit down the list.  That doesn't diminish how good he was, he's just not top 10 in the world ever, for example.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Nah, I don't think he is.  He was brilliant for us, and his record will stand the test of time. He's top 10 for us I believe, but when you start including strikers from other clubs and times then he's a good bit down the list.  That doesn't diminish how good he was, he's just not top 10 in the world ever, for example.

Well he was top ten in the world for about 6 years but in the history of football you’re probably right.

12 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Well he was top ten in the world for about 6 years but in the history of football you’re probably right.

Big call that.

Obviously in 1983-84 he was superb.  One of the top strikers in the world.  Not sure of the shout of 6 years though.  He only win the 1st division Golden Boot once didn't he? I know there's more to his game then that, but its important if you're a striker.

16 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Big call that.

Obviously in 1983-84 he was superb.  One of the top strikers in the world.  Not sure of the shout of 6 years though.  He only win the 1st division Golden Boot once didn't he? I know there's more to his game then that, but its important if you're a striker.

Not a big call at all in my opinion, probably the opposite. When you mention only domestic success you mean other European teams played for or European trophies! He was top ten in the world from 81-86 easily in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Not a big call at all in my opinion, probably the opposite. When you mention only domestic success you mean other European teams played for or European trophies! He was top ten in the world from 81-86 easily in my opinion.

Got you mixed up with another thread mate. Apologies haha.

2 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

He was a striker and I just don't think his goal tallies in some of those seasons stands up for him to be considered "easily" top 10 in the world from 1981 - 86.  

Not sure I understand your question about trophies?  I was talking about the Golden Boot.  He's only won the domestic one once and the European one once, both in the same season.  I don't think that helps an argument for him being one of the best in the world.

Just to add though, I think he was brilliant for us, and is a proper Liverpool legend.  

4 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

He was a striker and I just don't think his goal tallies in some of those seasons stands up for him to be considered "easily" top 10 in the world from 1981 - 86.  

Not sure I understand your question about trophies?  I was talking about the Golden Boot.  He's only won the domestic one once and the European one once, both in the same season.  I don't think that helps an argument for him being one of the best in the world.

Just to add though, I think he was brilliant for us, and is a proper Liverpool legend.  

See the post above re Euro. We can name 10 from 81-86 who keep him out?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Dalglish, Rummenigge, Butrugueno, Rossi?

If you're listing players from the 1980s who would be up against Rush for the Top 10, then I'd add:

VanBasten

Stoichkov

Klinsmann

Voller 

Linekar

With a bit of time I'd have a god think and list a belt more.