You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

ITV 4 Punditry

etho

I may be going out on a limb here' date=' but I think Strachan's one of the best pundits on the box.

Fowler's always good value (although I am biased there), but I also think Ferdinand's been decent tonight also.[/quote']

Les is comfortably the most likeable professional footballer in his family.

Thought Channel 5s was good last season for the Europa. Maybe they get the people who actually know what they're talking about rather than token football "celebrities".

That Champions League highlights show with Strachan and Philippe Auclair is good too.

I remember one Athletic Bilbao game in it last year when they brought on this lad up front and Stan Collymore said something along the lines of "I was speaking to some Bilbao fans earlier and they said he reminded them of Denis Straqualursi" given most English fans probably knew next to nothing about Straqualursi I doubt most Bilbao fans even knew who he was!

Matt Smith the presenter is from the Wirral and a red I think.

Yeah, he is. Strachan said something last night to him and Fowler about how their hearts were in the mouths when Di Natale hit that shot over at the end.

To my knowledge, I don't think he's ever shied away from the fact he's a red, but manages to stay objective at the same time. Unlike people like that prick Colin Murray who ends up going too far the other way in an attempt to hide their alleigance.

Think he seems an alright fella that Matt Smith. Just his OTT foreign pronunciation really winds me up!

Thought Channel 5s was good last season for the Europa. Maybe they get the people who actually know what they're talking about rather than token football "celebrities".

That Champions League highlights show with Strachan and Philippe Auclair is good too.

They've also had Raphael Honigstein who I like.

Lee Dixon is a good addition to their Champs league games, but get Strachan in for Southgate and it would be a lot better.

ITV's coverage of the Euros was good with Carra, Keane and a few others. Sky's is relatively good and it's fair to say that Gary Neville has surprised a few people, myself included. Think the feller talks a lot of sense, and is remarkably balanced and objective. The BBC's coverage is shite. Shearer is a fucking drip with a personality vacuum, Lawrenson is a smug tit who's so far up his own arse he can see what he had for dinner an hour after he's eaten it, Hansen makes analysing football look like a massive chore despite the fact he gets paid about 20grand per show to do so, and Lineker is a jug eared gobshite who almost rivals Lawro for arrogance. Their analysis amounts to "he'll feel he should have scored that" when a chance is missed, and "The defender could have done a bit more there" when a chance is scored. No analysis or insight whatsoever, a total contrast to Gary Neville who can break down every play and actually point things out which you haven't noticed, enlighten the average supporter who doesn't have the benefit of a career playing the game professionally.

The whole BBC football coverage is outdated and shite , and the above mentioned need pensioning off because when ITV4 and Channel 5 can offer a better product than you then you have some real problems.

ITV's coverage of the Euros was good with Carra, Keane and a few others. Sky's is relatively good and it's fair to say that Gary Neville has surprised a few people, myself included. Think the feller talks a lot of sense, and is remarkably balanced and objective. The BBC's coverage is shite. Shearer is a fucking drip with a personality vacuum, Lawrenson is a smug tit who's so far up his own arse he can see what he had for dinner an hour after he's eaten it, Hansen makes analysing football look like a massive chore despite the fact he gets paid about 20grand per show to do so, and Lineker is a jug eared gobshite who almost rivals Lawro for arrogance. Their analysis amounts to "he'll feel he should have scored that" when a chance is missed, and "The defender could have done a bit more there" when a chance is scored. No analysis or insight whatsoever, a total contrast to Gary Neville who can break down every play and actually point things out which you haven't noticed, enlighten the average supporter who doesn't have the benefit of a career playing the game professionally.

The whole BBC football coverage is outdated and shite , and the above mentioned need pensioning off because when ITV4 and Channel 5 can offer a better product than you then you have some real problems.

Spot on randy marsh, Gary Linekars' jokes make most people's dads sound cutting edge. 'Lawro' just verbally squeezes one out about 'sur Alec' on Colin murrays pale man tits before Hansen says something so obvious it's impossible to follow then glares at Gary as though to say "that's all ya gertin' move on now" and then they all laugh about someone being older than they used to be or say 'even I could have scored that' hahaha I split my sides again you cocknockers. All anything is is 'disappointing' or 'he'll be disappointed with that' or absolutely this absolutely that.

On itv I can't be,I've how bad andy fucking Townsend is the big bland thicko, I hate that man. He looks like smarties.

They've also had Raphael Honigstein who I like.

Lee Dixon is a good addition to their Champs league games, but get Strachan in for Southgate and it would be a lot better.

Yeah, as much as i don't like certain journalists i'd much rather hear them talk about the game than some ex-footballer repeating cliches.

There are exceptions to the ex-footballer thing though, many of whom have been mentioned in this thread.

I remember one Athletic Bilbao game in it last year when they brought on this lad up front and Stan Collymore said something along the lines of "I was speaking to some Bilbao fans earlier and they said he reminded them of Denis Straqualursi" given most English fans probably knew next to nothing about Straqualursi I doubt most Bilbao fans even knew who he was!
Ah yeah that'll be that Toquero fella. Not the best player but has become something of a cult figure with the fans who admire his application and work rate.

Maybe similar to how we were with Dirk. Although Kuyt was just frustrating to watch at times.

The one I can't stand and I mean I really can't fucking stand is Alan Smith. I have no idea what he offers, he's fucking useless, full of cliches, has a horrible voice and hates us and others and is so biased when he commentates. Literally the worst example of giving an ex footballer a job as a commentator that I can think of.

How someone at ITV hasn't spotted the gaping chasm in quality between Chiles and Matt Smith I don't know. The ITV4 highlights shows are regularly very good now. Smith, Strachan and Honegstien and Auclair. We can't be far away from the bright new dawn of super-nerd Michael Cox getting on TV?

Well, maybe let's not go that far.

Felt really bad last night, noticing one of my favourites, James Richardson, presenting some sted-fest on a minor channel, with a collection of guys shaped like perfect squares pulling trailers with their teeth.

Really needs his own European fitba review show, he's wasted scratching around on the Guardian and outer limits of Sky.

He's the best around.

Oh, for the days on Seria A

Really good article HERE about how crazy and low budget that show was, yet it still trumped anything then, or since.

How someone at ITV hasn't spotted the gaping chasm in quality between Chiles and Matt Smith I don't know. The ITV4 highlights shows are regularly very good now. Smith, Strachan and Honegstien and Auclair. We can't be far away from the bright new dawn of super-nerd Michael Cox getting on TV?

Well, maybe let's not go that far.

A Cox and Jonathan Wilson double team.

I'd pay a dollar for that.

Really needs his own European fitba review show, he's wasted scratching around on the Guardian and outer limits of Sky.

He's the best around.

Oh, for the days on Seria A

Really good article HERE about how crazy and low budget that show was, yet it still trumped anything then, or since.

Jimbo presents Series A on ESPN.

A Cox and Jonathan Wilson double team.

I'd pay a dollar for that.

Would that be like paying to listen to paint drying? :D

Despite their dryness at times i do like them. But it's better when they're accompanied by someone a bit more light hearted like Richardson or some of the others they have on that Guardian football weekly podcast.