You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Agger vs Martin Skrtel

RoyHodgeGone

Date of birth:

Agger: 12 December 1984

Skrtel: 15 December 1984

Height:

Agger: 6"3

Skrtel: 6"3

Transfer Fee:

Agger: £6m

Skrtel: £6.5m

Liverpool appearances:

Agger: 186 - 10 goals

Skrtel: 192 - 8 goals

League appearances:

Agger: 134 - 5 goals

Skrtel: 140 - 6 goals

International caps:

Agger: 53

Skrtel: 56

Who's top trumps?

Edited by RoyHodgeGone

Best pairing in the league!

Johnson and Enrique are probably the best set of full backs as well.

Agree on the first bit. Ivanovic/Cahill could be close.

Not sure about the fullbacks. Zabaleta/Clichy is good.

We've got a really solid back six, if Pepe can get back to form.

Reina

Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique

Lucas

this is the problem with our fans. We massively overrate our players. If we've got the best back 4 in the league, I'll eat my hat.

I think our back four is boss.

Which pair is better than Agger and Skrtel then?

Which pair of full backs are better than Johnson and Enrique?

We've got a really solid back six, if Pepe can get back to form.

Reina

Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique

Lucas

Yep.

Not only good, perfect for the type of football Rodgers wants to play as well.

I think our back four is boss.

Which pair is better than Agger and Skrtel then?

Which pair of full backs are better than Johnson and Enrique?

As it stands, very few Premiership teams actually have a strong settled back four.

At full strength the Chelsea back line is excellent

I also think Nastasić & Kompany have the potential to form a really strong partnership.

For the people saying Enrique is one of the best full backs in the league, he's barely played there this season, plus he was awful in the second half of last season.

For the people saying Enrique is one of the best full backs in the league, he's barely played there this season, plus he was awful in the second half of last season.

I'm saying he is one of the best left backs in the league.

He was brilliant last seaosn for the first half. He had a patchy second half of the season, as did many of our players. He has probably made less defensive mistakes than Johnson has the last 12 months, yet he gets raved.

Enrique got some uneccessary shit, people wrote him off too quickly and now he is proven those people wrong, very wrong!

I'm saying he is one of the best left backs in the league.

He was brilliant last seaosn for the first half. He had a patchy second half of the season, as did many of our players. He has probably made less defensive mistakes than Johnson has the last 12 months, yet he gets raved.

Enrique got some uneccessary shit, people wrote him off too quickly and now he is proven those people wrong, very wrong!

The point that he has played a handful of good games at LB over the last 12 months is valid. His positioning at the end of last season was suspect and the ball died at his feet over and over. He has found a nice vein of form in the last month - not at LB. In hindsight another obvious factor was we had been so used to shit at LB that he was welcomed at the beginning of last year - going forward he did not bring anything concrete. I know cuz I lost a fiver to Code on a bet about him.

The point that he has played a handful of good games at LB over the last 12 months is valid. His positioning at the end of last season was suspect and the ball died at his feet over and over. He has found a nice vein of form in the last month - not at LB. In hindsight another obvious factor was we had been so used to shit at LB that he was welcomed at the beginning of last year - going forward he did not bring anything concrete. I know cuz I lost a fiver to Code on a bet about him.

I said he was patchy at the end of last season, made some mistakes (so did Skrtel who was our player of the season and as a team we struggled in that period).

This season he missed most of it and only returned vs Everton. He wasn't out of favour or anything, he was injured. Wisdom and Johnson were doing well in the full back positions so we used him higher up the field and he did really well. He was boss vs Southampton at left back. Hopefully he can maintain that form, as he has been brilliant - probably our player of the month.

Niether, but what I think is that they compliment each other very well. Skrtel is an out and out defender, put his head where it hurts, fly into tackles (ocassionally rash I'll grant you), whereas Agger is a bit more of a cultured defender, can tackle and head, but can bring the ball out from the back, can take the odd player on.

Like with most areas on a football field you need good pairings who work well together, and that is what these two guys do, neither one is better than the other, as they both bring something different to the team.

this is the problem with our fans. We massively overrate our players. If we've got the best back 4 in the league, I'll eat my hat.

Why is it a "problem"? And in what way is not true?

For what it's worth I give Agger the slight edge because I think he's more of a big game player and has better technique on the ball.

Enrique is basically John Arne Riise mark II. Quick and strong with a good shot, but quite limited technically. Enrique looked great as a left winger, as Riise did on occasion. But I'm certainly not going ape shit over him after a few good performances. He's produced plenty of shit also. He needs to keep it up.

Enrique is basically John Arne Riise mark II. Quick and strong with a good shot, but quite limited technically. Enrique looked great as a left winger, as Riise did on occasion. But I'm certainly not going ape shit over him after a few good performances. He's produced plenty of shit also. He needs to keep it up.

Technically Enrique is 10 times the player Riise was/is. The only comparison you could probably make with the 2 is that they are both physically similar in that they are beasts.

Riise was never really that good and all his massive errors were down to sheer lack of ability. Enrique is quite the opposite, his bad performances and errors are down to over-confidence in his own ability. I think it was Townsend who said it "I really like Enrique but he thinks he's Pele" when a lot of the time he could keep it a lot more simple.

I do agree with you though. He's hit a really good patch of form now but we have seen it before. He could easily start putting in the performances we seen over the last half of last season and most of the start of this season.

My comment probably won´t count as I´ll be accused of being biased, but here we go.;)

First thing I have to say that both of them are class and bit different players, who compliment each other well. But, I think that Martin is a bit underrated and Danny bit overrated.

Agger is class but his mistakes are sometimes overlooked and generally gets more fame for similar performances as Skrtel does. If both of them have ok game you could find here and also on other forums maybe 5 people who praise Danny´s performance opposit to 1 who praises Martin´s.

Also when they bot made mistake there is couple of people who talk about Martin´s for months and Daniel´s are forgotten next week. I can´t describe it, because english is not my native language but Danny is somehow more "likeable" or "favourite".

For comparison, we can go through the 5 years they are together at the club, since Skrtel´s arrival in January 2008. Agger was injured at that time but Skrtel started really strongly after his Waterloo debut and played fantastic for the rest of 07/08 season when we finished 2nd and destroyed the likes of Real Madrid in CL. He played with Carra and even after Agger´s return he kept him on the sidelines until the end of 07/08 season and since the start of 08/09 season until his injury at City. he was then out until January but after his return he immediately sent Agger back to bench and played first fiddle with Jamie until the end of season follwed with World Cup.

So the first 18 months at the club together wins clearly Martin for me based not only on the number of performances but also on the contribution to club and level of his football.

09/10 season Rafa started with Skrtel and Carra again, but after few shaky to poor performances Skrtel was benched somewhere in October and Agger came to his place. Actually these are the only 3 months in his 5 years here that Martin was benched when fit. Then Agger injured again and Carra was moved to RB with Skrtel and Kyrgiakos playing for few weeks and they played ok (much better than under Roy). Then daniel returned and Martin injured himself again and was out until the end of season. So the season 09/10 goeas to Danny for me.

10/11 season is hard to judge because Agger was frozen out by Roy and Skrtel didn´t played perticularly well under him aswell, and under Kenny Agger was injured a lot, but Martin played every single game and since Kenny´s arrival he played well with accidential brainfarts so he was the one of two outfiel dplayers who played every single PL minute, so 10/11 season should go to Skrtel from my point of view.

Last season was Skrtel voted Player of the Year so we should go by the fact that he was probably better and more valuable to team than Agger. And this sseason they seem both class after couple of mistakes at the start of the season they bounced back and seem best their best, so I think they are on par.

So generally there are more "rounds" won by Skrtel than by Agger from my point of view, but majority of people still rate Agger higher....just for the fact that he seems more "calm, composed and classy" but bar 3 months in 2010 I can´t remember period when he "outplayed" Skrtel.