You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's the deal with Tom Ince?

RoyHodgeGone

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine we will sign him and loan him back to Blackpool, paying all of his wages with bonus if he scores against us, and pay all of the Blackpools lecky bill as a sweetener. The town, not the club. Then send him on a free to Stoke and get done tapping him up a month later. Then apologise and issue a letter to fans about how we won't be held to ransom despite there only being 4 senior players and Rafa's old paella chef left at Melwood, (he doesn't speak English and it was deemed kinder to let him stay and cook.)

It is then we come in and smash something or other with a 36 million pound offer and refuse to bid a penny less, hailing Ince the final piece in a jigsaw and paying him 50% of the club per year over 3 years.

Time to get the popcorn out, its another blockbusting episode of...

"Liverpools Amazing Transfer Fuck-ups".

More Drama than Crossroads.

Something like this has been on the cards for a while. For the last x years people have been saying, it's all well and good spending millions on players for the academy, but if you don't show them a clear path to the first team they will bugger off. So we umm'ed and we aahh'ed, spoke some shit about link ups with foreign teams for loans etc, but for the most part did fuck all.

And so it came to pass. Whatever fee we end up paying for Ince, is as far as I'm concerned a tax on stupidity and procrastination. Deduct it from Comoli's pay-off.

At least now we seem to be addressing the issue, though we'll see how much appetite there is for youngsters when the squad is filled out. I read the other day that the academy et al have retired benitez-ball and are now playing the same way as the first team. So maybe there is joined up thinking in our future :fingers-crossed:

Some quotes from Comolli on Ince today on talksport 'When I arrived (at Liverpool in November 2010) Tom was at the end of his contract,' the Frenchman told talkSPORT. One of the first things I did was meet him and his dad, and Paul was concerned the style of play (under Roy Hodgson) was not suited to his son, who was a quick winger. 'When Roy went I think we made four or five contract offers to Tom which he kept turning down...he didn’t feel it was the right place for him to stay. 'The last offer would have made him the highest-earning player beneath the first team but to be fair to him I don’t think money was the issue. 'We never released him. You don’t release a player like this, you can’t force him to stay. 'I am very pleased that he is doing well. If they buy him back, good for him and good for Liverpool.'

Isn't his old man his agent/adviser? I kept hearing at the time that Paul Ince was the real obstacle in negotiations and was advising him to leave the club in search of first team football. To be fair, it's served him well.

apparently has a new agent now but Paul has also encouraged him to come back here

Did we ever play him on the right? I think I recall one game that he played there, but I could be mistaken. For the most part he was on the left, which was a big part of why I wasn't bothered when he left.

It was plain to anyone with eyes that the long-term answer at left forward was Raheem Sterling, so I thought that we were just clearing the path a bit for him. Add to that Ince's selfish style of play and demands (which, if Comolli can be believed were more about first team access than money) and it's easy to see why no one was bothered when he went.

Reports suggest that he's been doing most of his damage at Blackpool from the right, and if so, that's really our main weakness. 20 year old with a good scoring record from out wide in the Championship, available for 4 million? I can see why we'd look to bring him in.

So that would give us a 2-deep lineup of what, then?

Sterling Suarez Sturridge

and a second string of:

Enrique/Assaidi Borini Ince/Downing

While not exactly impressive, it's certainly better than it is right now. Still miles off the quality we need at wide forward, especially behind the top two, but like I said, it's an improvement.